IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Open for debate  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Open for debate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Acts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 5:43pm

What do people think Jesus was saying in  John 10. 34-36 where he said -

“Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’? If he called them ‘gods,’ … what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’?”

Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 3:22am
Originally posted by Niblo Niblo wrote:

Originally posted by Tim the plumber Tim the plumber wrote:

If you want to use a science fiction metaphore you could use the idea of a familure or avatar where, say in an Ian M Banks book (Very good reads all of them), a hyper inteligent computer, normally a ship, will often have a human biological bit of it freely wandering around as a human. Fully human but the brain inside is inhabited by the mind of the computer.

The ship's remote wroker drones it uses to repair stuff around and about are the same sort of thing but they are mechanical.

The ship's human avitar is, in this science fiction setting, both fully human and fully a machine intelligence.

Hi Tim.

A 'hyper intelligent computer', having a 'human biological bit of it freely wandering around as a human' is a compound. Machine plus a bit of human.

The avatar is a human with a brain that is inhabited by the 'mind of the computer' Therefore the avatar is also a compound. As you describe it, this avatar is not ‘fully a machine’ at all...only a certain function of its brain, its machine intelligence, can claim that distinction. We have to assume, since the avatar is human, that those parts of its brain that control its bodily functions are as human as yours and mine.

I’ve not read Ian Banks; but am happy to accept that he does a good job.

As you say, his books are works of fiction; exactly the same genre as the doctrine of the incarnation, some might say! I wish him every success.

Very best regards.

He has had great success. But has also died. Disappointingly.

My point is that to try to explain the situation of a human, to all appearances, being part of a hyperintelligent machine with powers so advanced that it is, compaired to humans, all powerful, able to reshape mountains at will etc, would be very complex today and impossible for to translate 1500 years ago.
Niblo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niblo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 1:04am
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

We are agreed that Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla) exists.   

Using one religious teaching, and ignoring all others, you argue that since He is omniscient, and therefore (by your reckoning) incapable of changing His mind, or taking any decisions, he must be ‘static’.

Omniscience means, of course, the power to know all things; past, present, and future. The Beloved did not gain knowledge by study, trial and error as we do; having to decide along the way what is true and what is not; having to change His mind in order to accommodate new information, and by that process make new decisions. The Beloved’s knowledge is one with His Nature; and this nature is eternal (defined as a duration without beginning and without end, without sooner and later, a permanent ‘Now’).

Knowledge does not preclude action. If it did then I, knowing how to type, would be incapable of so doing. Clearly, I am capable. The Beloved’s absolute knowledge (omniscience) does not prevent Him from acting either.   

I will argue (using some of the teachings that you ignore) that Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla) had a plan for the whole of creation even before it existed; and since He knew exactly how that plan would unfold - and since there is no power capable of causing Him to deviate from that plan to even the slightest degree - He had no cause to change His mind. He had only to say ‘Be’ to begin the process of putting His plan into effect.

The only matter to be decided is this: Is He indeed active?

The Catholic Church teaches that Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla) continually preserves the existence all created things. The First Vatican Council declared: ‘God, by His Providence, protects all that He has created’, which is to say that He preserves it from relapsing into nothingness: ‘If His Providence did not preserve all things with the same power with which they were created in the beginning they would fall back into nothingness immediately.’ (Denzinger 1784).

In the Qur’an we read: ‘Allāh: there is no god but Him, the Ever Living, the Ever Watchful. Neither slumber nor sleep overtakes Him. All that is in the heavens and in the earth belongs to Him. Who is there that can intercede with Him except by His leave? He knows what is before them and what is behind them, but they do not comprehend any of His knowledge except what He wills. His throne extends over the heavens and the earth; it does not weary Him to preserve them both. He is the Most High, the Tremendous.’ (Al-Baqara: 255).

Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla) promises this: ‘(Prophet), if My servants ask you about Me, I am near. I respond to those who call Me, so let them respond to Me, and believe in Me, so that they may be guided.’ (Al-Baqara: 186).

Those who are conscious of the Beloved’s constant presence turn to Him for support and help whenever this is needed (daily!); fully assured that He hears whenever they call. They acknowledge, with gratitude and praise, the innumerable gifts they receive from their Lord; whether or not these have come in answer to a supplication.

Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla) acknowledges any good that a we do: ‘Anyone who does good of his own accord will be rewarded, for Allāh rewards good deeds, and knows every-thing.’ (Al-Baqara 158); and again: ‘If anyone does good, We shall increase it for him; Allāh is most forgiving and most appreciative.’ (Al-Shura 23).

It is a source of immeasurable wonder that the Beloved - Master of the Universe - should say to every person: ‘Remember Me; I will remember you.’ (Al-Baqara: 152).

Does this sound like a ‘static’ Being to you?
'Sometimes, silence is the best answer for a fool.' (Alī ibn Abī Tālib‎)
Al Masihi View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Masihi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 2:29am
Yes it is ludicrous to state that he is both wholly man and wholly donkey in the same respect, Jesus Christ is not both God and man in the same respect. We’re not saying his human nature is his divine nature or his divine nature was his human nature, that’s the only time when you could say we’re violating the law of non contradiction.
Niblo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niblo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 3:37am
Originally posted by Al Masihi Al Masihi wrote:

We’re not saying his human nature is his divine nature or his divine nature was his human nature,

I accept that without reservation.

To say that he is wholly a man, and not God would be fine. No contradiction there.

To say that he is wholly God, and not a man would also be fine. No contradiction there either.

But to say that he is both man and God at one and the same time (and this is what both you and the Church are claiming, after all) is very much a contradiction. As much a contradiction as saying that he can be both a man and a donkey; a man and a tree; a man and a rock, and so on.    

I fully understand why you can't see this. Aquinas, who argued that a human being cannot be both a man and a donkey, couldn't see it either. He was, of course, a Trinitarian. C.S. Lewis - who argued for the law of non-contradiction - was equally blind to this law when applied to the incarnation. He was also a Trinitarian. All Trinitarians believe as you do...I also once believed as you do. The real mystery is how on earth we did so, even while applying the law of non-contradiction to other things; to reality in general.   

Al Masihi View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Masihi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 3:58am
It seems to me that the main mistake of your argument is the lack of distinction between person and nature. A person is not his nature - a person possesses a nature. Jesus is fully God because He possesses entirely the divine nature; He is fully man because He assumed, and now possesses entirely, human nature. It is important to note that hypostatic union does not imply that Christ is only God, and also only man. It implies that Christ is fully God and also fully man. There is a huge distinction, neither nature is the other, they are both united, but not swapped or confused, or congealed into some third nature. Both retain their characteristics intact they aren’t each other neither do they combine to form another nature, they are two separate natures therefore this doesn’t violate the law of non contradiction.
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 6:08am
Originally posted by Niblo Niblo wrote:

Originally posted by Al Masihi Al Masihi wrote:

We’re not saying his human nature is his divine nature or his divine nature was his human nature,

I accept that without reservation.

To say that he is wholly a man, and not God would be fine. No contradiction there.

To say that he is wholly God, and not a man would also be fine. No contradiction there either.

But to say that he is both man and God at one and the same time (and this is what both you and the Church are claiming, after all) is very much a contradiction. As much a contradiction as saying that he can be both a man and a donkey; a man and a tree; a man and a rock, and so on.    

I fully understand why you can't see this. Aquinas, who argued that a human being cannot be both a man and a donkey, couldn't see it either. He was, of course, a Trinitarian. C.S. Lewis - who argued for the law of non-contradiction - was equally blind to this law when applied to the incarnation. He was also a Trinitarian. All Trinitarians believe as you do...I also once believed as you do. The real mystery is how on earth we did so, even while applying the law of non-contradiction to other things; to reality in general.   

This answer presumes that God has some of the limitations of created things. It is an argument of the atheist.
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
Niblo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niblo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:19am
Originally posted by Tim the plumber Tim the plumber wrote:

My point is that to try to explain the situation of a human, to all appearances, being part of a hyperintelligent machine with powers so advanced that it is, compaired to humans, all powerful, able to reshape mountains at will etc, would be very complex today and impossible for to translate 1500 years ago.

I think I understand what you are saying - science fiction is not my thing - but the analogy doesn’t hold.

When talking about God we are trying to define – to explain – a Being who is nothing like us at all; who is nothing like anything we know, or can imagine. Because of this, some have said that the best response to the question: ‘What is God’ is silence. A Catholic priest once told me that should we ever come to a true understanding of what God is – should the reality of His nature hit us – we would ‘fall on our faces and never get up again’. However, the various doctrines that claim to convey the truths about God (including the ‘incarnation’) are clear enough. Most certainly they are open to investigation; and that is what I have done. I have stated only what the Church teaches (in this matter) and have done so with citations, so that folk can check stuff out for themselves.

The Church is not saying that God (the hyper intelligent machine in your analogy) has a part of Him that is a man. No. It teaches (as you will know) that He is pure infinite spirit, having no corporeal elements is His whatsoever in His essence. Above all, the Church insists - correctly - that God is not a man. Absolutely not!

The Church also teaches (as you know) that man was created by God; that man is most certainly not God.

If man is not God, and God is not man, then how can anyone be both a man and God at one and the same time? How can God be both God and a man at one and the same time? Both are logical contradictions (assuming that we preserve the integrity of the definitions of these terms); and therefore intrinsically impossible.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
  Share Topic