IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help with Arabic names  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with Arabic names

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aminanami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with Arabic names
    Posted: 16 March 2018 at 12:28am
Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and I was wondering if some of you might be able to help me. I'm looking for some information about Arabic/Muslim names. I was wondering if last names (surnames) are different than in Western Culture? Is there a specific meaning to each, for example in some countries they signify the origin of their fathers. Also does anyone know of a website where I could find information about Arabic last names. I'm specifically looking for names ending in "-dri", "-lri" or "-tri", are these endings that would be present in Arabic names? I'm sorry if my request sound strange or if I've used wrong terms, I'm quite new to this

I appreciate all the help!
Dr. Aslam View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Aslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 11:02am
Wa alaikum Salam,
The last name or the family name should be kept. You have a choice of having name in any language of the world as long as the name does not carry a meaning that promote polytheism or ideas that negate the basic message of Islam.  Here is a website that might help you pick the name you may want to. http://www.names4muslims.com/
Best Regards,
Aslam Abdullah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic