IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Argument for God's Existence  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Argument for God's Existence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidroemer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 7:55pm
I quoted from the most widely used biology textbook in the US by biology majors in college. Are you being ironic? Do you understand why the quote is saying that human beings did not evolved from animals? Human beings did not evolved from animals because of the "mind-body" problem. The quote says that the mind-body problem is a philosophical problem, not a scientific one. Science does not address the question of why human beings have free will and the conscious knowledge of human beings, as opposed to the sense knowledge of animals. 
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2018 at 12:53am
Originally posted by davidroemer davidroemer wrote:

I quoted from the most widely used biology textbook in the US by biology majors in college. Are you being ironic? Do you understand why the quote is saying that human beings did not evolved from animals? Human beings did not evolved from animals because of the "mind-body" problem. The quote says that the mind-body problem is a philosophical problem, not a scientific one. Science does not address the question of why human beings have free will and the conscious knowledge of human beings, as opposed to the sense knowledge of animals. 

I very much doubt that any biology textbook, other than one used in some sort of religious college, says that humans did not evolve from animals.

We have evolved from other animals. Our ancestors were less human than us.

There is a mountain of evidence to show this.

Which book did you quote from?

akthus View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akthus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2018 at 1:18pm
Homo sapiens did not evolve from apes. They are a completely different species.
Just like a donkey is not a horse.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2018 at 3:14pm
@David

Could you tell me the name (and possibly authors) of the biology textbook you mention ?

Airmano
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
davidroemer View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidroemer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2018 at 7:57pm
The textbook I quoted from is Biology by Campbell and Reece. This is another quote that proves human beings did not evolved from animals:

Catholics could believe whatever science determined about the evolution of the human body, so long as they accepted that, at some time of his choosing, God had infused the soul into such a creature. I also knew that I had no problem with this statement, for whatever my private beliefs about souls, science cannot touch such a subject and therefore cannot be threatened by any theological position on such a legitimately and intrinsically religious issue. (13th paragraph, Stephen Jay Gould, Natural History, March 1997)

The reason you are confused about this matter is that practically all biologists from major secular universities think that human beings evolved from animals. But if you ask them about free will, they will say something either irrational (free will is an illusion) or dishonest (free will is an emergent property of the brain). 

That human beings have free will is not a scientific observation.  We know that we can move our hand any way we want. But if we lose our hand in an accident, we still continue to exist. Our body is something that we have. It raises the metaphysical question: What is the relationship between myself and my body? It is a metaphysical mystery, not a scientific mystery. Saying free will is an emergent property of the brain implies that it is a scientific mystery. It is a lie because there is an excellent track record for scientific questions. There is no such track record for metaphysics. There is only an argument for God's existence.  

Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 2:22am
Originally posted by akthus akthus wrote:

Homo sapiens did not evolve from apes. They are a completely different species.
Just like a donkey is not a horse.

Donkeys and horses are clearly closely related. They can interbreed. The result is not it's self fertile but clearly the species gap betweeen donkeys and horses is not that big.

Chimpansees are more closely related to us humans than donkeys are to horses or zebras.

Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 2:26am
Originally posted by davidroemer davidroemer wrote:

The textbook I quoted from is Biology by Campbell and Reece. This is another quote that proves human beings did not evolved from animals:

Catholics could believe whatever science determined about the evolution of the human body, so long as they accepted that, at some time of his choosing, God had infused the soul into such a creature. I also knew that I had no problem with this statement, for whatever my private beliefs about souls, science cannot touch such a subject and therefore cannot be threatened by any theological position on such a legitimately and intrinsically religious issue. (13th paragraph, Stephen Jay Gould, Natural History, March 1997)

The reason you are confused about this matter is that practically all biologists from major secular universities think that human beings evolved from animals. But if you ask them about free will, they will say something either irrational (free will is an illusion) or dishonest (free will is an emergent property of the brain). 

That human beings have free will is not a scientific observation.  We know that we can move our hand any way we want. But if we lose our hand in an accident, we still continue to exist. Our body is something that we have. It raises the metaphysical question: What is the relationship between myself and my body? It is a metaphysical mystery, not a scientific mystery. Saying free will is an emergent property of the brain implies that it is a scientific mystery. It is a lie because there is an excellent track record for scientific questions. There is no such track record for metaphysics. There is only an argument for God's existence.  

How exactly does your quote from the book say that evolution does not happen?

All it says is that the religious arguments are not part od the discussion of the book.

DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 10:35am
Evolution is very useful in explaining varieties. It is much less useful in explaining the development of structures.

It is also much more useful in explaining why species become extinct than in explaining how new species develop.

Evolution is too often used as a dogma which explains everything. It is a scientific concept, and not to be mixed up in arguments inappropiate for science. It seems that many colleges have eliminated the requirement of a course in the philosophy of science from the B.S. degree and many new scientists have lost the connection between science and the rest of knowledge.
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic