IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I have a question  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I have a question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
asep garut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 7:55am
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

@asep
Quote And what I mean "preserved" is the content of the word of Allah, not the tools or the places where the words of Allah are written.

Can you try to be more specific ? Allah has never "spoken" [a word] in a physical sense.
So, could you try to define the terms: "content" and "word of Allah" more precisely ? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@DebateDebate
I always liked the story of the Surah on adultery  kept by Aisha(!) before it got eaten by a goat. (Ooups, too bad !)
Never mind, something that is gone can at least not get corrupted anymore.

In every human being there is a soul, including the Prophet Muhammad, and one of the ways Allah conveys revelation to the Prophet Muhammad is by the way Allah speaks into his soul through the Angel Gabriel (42:51)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 3:59am
Originally posted by debatedebate debatedebate wrote:

Originally posted by asep garut asep garut wrote:

17. It is for Us to collect it and to give you (Muhammad) the ability to recite it (the Qur’an).

Allah collected the Quran? Before that it was scattered?

18. And when We have recited it to you through Gabriel, then follow its the Qur’an’s recital.

19. Then it is for Allah to make it clear to you.

Allah also revealed that no one can understand some of revelation except him, so whats the point? (in fact this verse is self contradictory)

He it is Who hath revealed unto thee (Muhammad) the Scripture wherein are clear revelations - they are the substance of the Book - and others (which are) allegorical. But those in whose hearts is doubt pursue, forsooth, that which is allegorical seeking (to cause) dissension by seeking to explain it. None knoweth its explanation save Allah. And those who are of sound instruction say: We believe therein; the whole is from our Lord; but only men of understanding really heed. (Quran 3 7)

And the Prophet Muhammad read all the verses to his friends (including Uthman) exactly as Gabriel taught.
Making a claim to prove another? Hmm..how could anyone verify that when he's the only one supposedly in  touch with Gabriel?

What the Caliph 'Uthman implies is that everything in this world will be damaged including the means by which the verses of the Qur'an are written, such as date palms, stone plates, leaves, etc.
Nevermind the date palms/leaves, where is the original manuscript on stone plates? Uthman destroyed them along the other copies of Qurans he burned? And did Allah give the him right to rearrange/change location/sequence of the revelation in the Quran you have now? Isn't that corruption?

Besides, your own Sunnah narrates that the Quran was not well preserved;

It was narrated that 'Aishah said:

“The Verse of stoning and of breastfeeding an adult ten times was revealed(1), and the paper was with me under my pillow. When the Messenger of Allah died, we were preoccupied with his death, and a tame sheep came in and ate it.”

(1): These verses were abrogated in recitation but not ruling. Other ahadith establish the number for fosterage to be 5.

English reference   : Vol. 3, Book 9, Hadith 1944 Sunan Ibn Majah » The Chapters on Marriage - كتاب النكاح

Arabic reference     : Book 9, Hadith 2020

Yes, this means that Allah gathers His word in Muhammad's heart, and after he has mastered and understood it, it is his duty to deliver all His words to all humanity.

Yes ... in the Qur'an there are verses mutasyabihat (allegorical) and these verses will only be believed and understood by people who are good at using his mind.

(.....but only men of understanding really heed. (Quran 3:7)

“.....Say (unto them, O Muhammad): Are those who know equal with those who know not? But only men of understanding will pay heed.” (Qur’an 39:9)

The Prophet Muhammah is an honest man because in his life he feels that Allah is always watching him, even Allah says as its proof that he conveyed all verses to his Companions even to all people around him about the word of Allah without added or subtracted.

"Nor does he speak (Qur'an) of (his own) desire."

"It is only a Revelation revealed."

(Qur'an 53: 3, 4)

Only those who believe in the word of Allah will believe all His words in the Qur'an (15:9), and I am one of those who believe it.

Which will be broken or destroyed is the place where His words were written, not the essence of His words. All that is in this world will be destroyed except Allah.

The main source of law for Muslims is the Qur'an which all the contents are Allah's words, while the Hadits there are sahih (valid), Dhoif (false), and necessary in search of verification through the Qur'an.

airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2018 at 2:44pm
@asep
Quote And what I mean "preserved" is the content of the word of Allah, not the tools or the places where the words of Allah are written.

Can you try to be more specific ? Allah has never "spoken" [a word] in a physical sense.
So, could you try to define the terms: "content" and "word of Allah" more precisely ? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@DebateDebate
I always liked the story of the Surah on adultery  kept by Aisha(!) before it got eaten by a goat. (Ooups, too bad !)
Never mind, something that is gone can at least not get corrupted anymore.

The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
debatedebate View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debatedebate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 9:08pm

17. It is for Us to collect it and to give you (Muhammad) the ability to recite it (the Qur’an).

Allah collected the Quran? Before that it was scattered?

18. And when We have recited it to you through Gabriel, then follow its the Qur’an’s recital.

Allah also revealed that no one can understand some of revelation except him, so whats the point? (in fact this verse is self contradictory)

He it is Who hath revealed unto thee (Muhammad) the Scripture wherein are clear revelations - they are the substance of the Book - and others (which are) allegorical. But those in whose hearts is doubt pursue, forsooth, that which is allegorical seeking (to cause) dissension by seeking to explain it. None knoweth its explanation save Allah. And those who are of sound instruction say: We believe therein; the whole is from our Lord; but only men of understanding really heed. (Quran 3 7)

And the Prophet Muhammad read all the verses to his friends (including Uthman) exactly as Gabriel taught.
Making a claim to prove another? Hmm..how could anyone verify that when he's the only one supposedly in  touch with Gabriel?

What the Caliph 'Uthman implies is that everything in this world will be damaged including the means by which the verses of the Qur'an are written, such as date palms, stone plates, leaves, etc.
Nevermind the date palms/leaves, where is the original manuscript on stone plates? Uthman destroyed them along the other copies of Qurans he burned? And did Allah give the him right to rearrange/change location/sequence of the revelation in the Quran you have now? Isn't that corruption?

Besides, your own Sunnah narrates that the Quran was not well preserved;

It was narrated that 'Aishah said:

“The Verse of stoning and of breastfeeding an adult ten times was revealed(1), and the paper was with me under my pillow. When the Messenger of Allah died, we were preoccupied with his death, and a tame sheep came in and ate it.”

(1): These verses were abrogated in recitation but not ruling. Other ahadith establish the number for fosterage to be 5.

English reference   : Vol. 3, Book 9, Hadith 1944 Sunan Ibn Majah » The Chapters on Marriage - كتاب النكاح

Arabic reference     : Book 9, Hadith 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2018 at 10:41pm

@Asep
When you open this link  on the Sanaa manuscript you'll find a list of differences.
The Tashkent and Topkapi are written in Kufic writing, which is also not the case anymore.
That there has never been a copy being made publicly accessible speaks also for itself ( I let you guess why !)
Furthermore; Uthman burned deviating versions as it is also acknowledged in the Muslim world. So there must have been alternative forms. Do you think these alternative form were all written "by enemies from within" as Miaw likes to call them.

Last not least: What do you really mean by "preserved" ?

- Books differ by chemistry (wood and ink) and page formatting
- The pronunciation (and writing) has changed over 1400 years
- The interpretation of it is so disputed amongst Muslims that the wording "the message" becomes highly blurred if not outright meaningless.
- Now you may still speculate about a "divine book in heaven" where all earthly versions are a bad copy of the original. (But frankly this is an old trick that the Mormons master equally well.)
May be, but this doesn't make the preservation (on earth) less faulty.

Airmano

At the time of the Prophet Muhammad was still alive, there were many companions of the Prophet who could read and write: Muawiyah. Yazid, Umar ibn Khathab, Uthman ibn Affan, Ali ibn Abi Talib, Abdullah ibn Mas'ud, Talha ibn Abdullah, Abu Ubaidah ibn Jarah, Hudzaifah ibn al-Yaman, Abu Hurairah, Abu al-Darda 'and Abu Musa al-Ash'ari. Uthman was one of the four closest friends and trusted by the Prophet Muhammad.

They wrote verses of the Qur'an in several tools such as date palms, stone plates, leaves, skin and bones, based on the reading as it is, according to the composition of the language as well as the words. The activity lasted from the time of the Qur'an down in Makkah for about 13 years, and at al-Madinah for about 10 years.

Every year the Angel Gabriel always comes to the Prophet to establish the reading and deeper understanding, and all the verses are always the Prophet convey and told the companions who he considers to have the qualities of Shiddiq (honest), Amanah (can be trusted), Tabligh (convey the truth), and Fathanah (intelligent), either one verse, two verses or more, and he read it exactly as Jibril taught, because Allah guarantees his unity in him as in His word: (Al-Qiyamah 75: 16-19).

16. Move not your tongue concerning the Qur’an to make haste therewith.

The Uthman Caliph's initiative to bind the Qur'an to the writers' team for the Qur'an to be recorded by using Quraish is a historical fact that can not be denied, not a traditional explanation.

Based on that thought, Uthman immediately ordered his members in the binding of the Qur'an to remember that all in this world will be "fana" (broken), he chose people who are really close to the Prophet Muhammad like Zaid bin Thabit, Abdullah bin Zubair, Sa 'id bin Al-Ash, and Abdul Rahman bin Hisham.

Al Hijr 15:9

“Verily, We, it is We who have sent down the Dhikr (Qur’an) and surely, We will guard it (from corruption)”

And what I mean "preserved" is the content of the word of Allah, not the tools or the places where the words of Allah are written.

Anyone can make a difference in both the Qur'anic and the translations, but for those who are included in Surah Al-Hijr 15:9 above, it will be able to distinguish between what is original and what is not.

Al Baqarah 2:269

“He grants "Hikmah" to whom He pleases, and he, to whom "Hikmah" is granted, is indeed granted abundant good. But none remember (will receive admonition) except men of understanding.”

Sufi Islam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sufi Islam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Al Masihi Al Masihi wrote:

I have a question on what makes Islam unique to other religions?

In my opinion, Islam is more advanced and more developed than other religions (Christianity and Judaism). We have the hadith and the Sunnah, full of many examples of good, honourable actions for us to follow. 

It's true that Christians have Jesus, but they also have the Old Testament and the Trinity and many confusing things. It's also true Islam is a complicated subject and the more we learn about it, the more we realise we didn't know the full depth of Islam. Scholars have spent a life time studying and there is always more to learn. 

Maybe the best example is to look at the historical record. The achievements of Islam and the Muslims are amazing, perhaps more amazing than any other world civilisation. The western society of today is sometimes considered the most powerful, but at what cost? Capitalism, accumulation of material wealth, destroying the natural world? Climate change, rising sea levels, out of control weather and natural disasters? 

Modern society is playing with fire in my opinion and while there are many good things about the modern technology, we really need to be careful. These days people are worshipping money and oil and many other things instead of remembering Allah. Islam offers us a path to know God and the self. What other religions have depth of understanding like Islam? 
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 2:01pm
@Miaw

What makes you say that what I wrote is not a surah ?  Because it  talks of real objects instead of fiery beings (made of smokeless fire), etherlike angels which only your prophet could see and little shiny silver dragons (that sure exists somewhere in another dimension) as your book does ?

So I take the challenge and claim: What I wrote is unique and can not be imitated/improved by anybody. Try to prove the opposite. 

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 08 March 2018 at 2:04pm
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
MIAW View Drop Down
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 12:43pm

@Miaw: 
Here comes a magnificent surah which I'm sure nobody (including Mohamed) can do any better:

"Valkovuokkoa on jo kauan siirretty luonnosta puutarhojen kaunistukseksi. 
Monet nykyisin luonnonvaraiset valkovuokkoesiitymät ovatkin peräisin siirtoistutuksissa, 
varsinkin pohjoisessa."...

Hyvä Airmano, tiedät hyvin, ettei tämä ole surah. Olen kuitenkin hämmästynyt siitä, että sinulla on kiinnostusta puutarhanhoitoon ja ruusuihin.

MIAW

Edited by MIAW - 08 March 2018 at 12:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic