IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muhammad (PBUH) and Aisha (RA): My research  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muhammad (PBUH) and Aisha (RA): My research

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muhammad (PBUH) and Aisha (RA): My research
    Posted: 29 January 2018 at 12:06pm
Assalamu alaikum,

I have done some research, and I would like to share my findings with you. I am going to put it very simply so that it's easy to follow, so please read it to the end.

Q: Was it wrong of Prophet Muhammad PBUH to 'Reserve' Aisha RA and then marry her while she was still in her childhood?
A: No. Because throughout the history of the world, it has been the normal thing to do everywhere.

Q: Can you give some examples?
A: Yes. Here are just a few examples (including quotes from wikipedia):

Marie Antoinette: Married at age 14
"In April 1770, upon her marriage to Louis-Auguste, heir apparent to the French throne, she became Dauphine of France."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Antoinette

Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond and Derby: 1st Wedding at age: 1, then another wedding at age: 12
"Margaret was married to Suffolk's son, John de la Pole. The wedding may have been held between 28 January and 7 February 1444, when she was perhaps a year old but certainly no more than three."
"Margaret was 12 when she married the 24-year-old Edmund Tudor on 1 November 1455."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Beaufort,_Countess_of_Richmond_and_Derby#First_marriage

Isabella of Valois: Married at age: 6
"On 31 October 1396, almost the age of seven, Isabella married the widower King Richard II of England in a move for peace with France."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_of_Valois

Mary I of England
Throughout Mary's childhood, Henry negotiated potential future marriages for her. When she was only two years old, she was promised to Francis, the infant son of King Francis I of France, but the contract was repudiated after three years.[23] In 1522, at the age of six, she was instead contracted to marry her 22-year-old first cousin, Holy Roman Emperor Charles V.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_I_of_England#Education_and_early_marriage_plans

And there are lots of other examples, e.g. Isabella of Angouleme...etc.

My findings about our Prophet's marriage to Aisha when she was at such a young age:

-     The Prophet's wedding to Aisha took place in accordance with direction from divine will. This is supported by Hadith Sahih.

-     During the period when Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, existed, young girls were married at an early age, and age difference was not important in marriage.

-     Girls matured earlier than our times, due to climatic and geographical conditions. In fact, this still happens in some remote places today.

-     This issue has not been questioned until recent times. It seems that in recent years, our Prophet (PBUH) has suddenly become a favourite target of Islamophobes and enemies of Islam in general.

-     Aisha entered puberty early, and in seventh-century Arabia, adulthood was defined as the onset of puberty (so she was not considered a child as in our understanding today).

-     The opponents of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) (i.e. the disbelievers, mushriks, kuffar of Mekka, earliest islamophobes) hated him, so they were constantly looking for reasons to criticize, ridicule and persecute him, however none of them ever objected to his marriage to Aisha. Do you know why? Answer: Because it was viewed as normal, and the same was happening all over the land at the time.

-     Aisha had already been engaged to someone else (Mut'am Ibn Uday) before she married Prophet Muhammad PBUH, suggesting she had already been mature enough by the standards of her society to consider marriage for a while.

-     Aisha's union would also have cemented Prophet Muhammad's PBUH longstanding friendship with her father, Abu Bakr RA. As was the tradition in Arabia (and still is in some parts of the world today), marriage typically served a social and political function ... a way of uniting tribes, resolving feuds, caring for widows and orphans, and generally strengthening bonds in a highly unstable and changing political environment.

-     And talking of Abu Bakr (RA). He was a respected man, known for his high morals in Mecca. Do you think that he would have willingly agreed to wed his precious daughter to any man if he thought it was wrong or immoral?

-     Records indicate that Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and Aisha (RA) had a loving and egalitarian relationship throughout their marriage, which set the standard for reciprocity, tenderness and respect enjoined by the Qur'an. Records don't depict an abused girl looking for the slightest opportunity to escape from her captor.

-     To paint Aisha as a victim is completely at odds with her persona. She did not have a weak personality. She was a bright and vivacious young lady who grew up to become the most influential woman in Islamic history. During a controversial battle in Muslim history, she emerged riding a camel to lead the troops. She was known for her assertive temperament. During our Prophet's lifetime, he established her authority by telling Muslims to consult her in his absence; after his death, she went on to be become one of the most prolific and distinguished scholars of her time. She could only achieve all this by being married to Allah's Messenger (PBUH).

-     A stateswoman, scholar, mufti, and judge, Aisha combined spirituality, activism and knowledge and remains a role model for many Muslim women today. The gulf between her true legacy and her depiction in Islamophobic materials is not merely historically inaccurate, it is an insult to the memory of a pioneering woman.

-     The marriage happened in the 2nd year after Hijra, just as verses of Islamic Legislation (التشريع) were starting to be revealed, so Allah SWT Chose for His Prophet a young woman who would convey and comfortably explain this legislation to other women for many, many years to come.

You simply cannot use the norms of our society today, to judge (and apply them on) a society that existed centuries ago in a completely different land.

Islamophobes strive day and night to belittle and put down Islam and its symbols, especially Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), who is viewed by friends and foes alike as the greatest and most influential person to exist on Earth, throughout the history of human kind. He is the best of Allah's creation. https://www.islamicity.org/8268/seerah-of-prophet-muhammad-pbuh/

We have absolutely nothing to be 'ashamed of' in Islam. We don't have the 'sex abuse' that they have in their churches, Hollywood, places of work, sports clubs, show business...etc, and in almost every aspect of media, entertainment and society, not just today but throughout their history... They deliberately try to 'smear' us with their own immoral behaviour.

See also: http://https://discover-the-truth.com/2016/10/20/londons-child-marriages-1500-1800s/

MIAW View Drop Down
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 12:59am
Originally posted by adyiqbal adyiqbal wrote:

When He married to Hazrat Aisha (R.A), what was her age??? Because, I heard, 9 years or 12 years etc.

There are differences of opinion about this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03b97GUacpM&list=PLExCKwROz20FJkIp-e6-YHtxpy11xOid1&index=3)

However, one important thing to always remember: is that their '9 years of age' (in that time, place, and in those conditions) was different from our '9 years of age' today, as explained above.

And another important thing: How is it that nobody in Makkah and Madinah (at the time) objected to this marriage? Makkah and Madina's people were amongst the most respected in the whole of the Arabian Peninsula, among them were elders, Jewish and other scholars, tradesmen, noble businessmen, poets and literary personalities, warriors and military personalities...etc; and most of these were fervent enemies of Islam and Prophet Muhammad PBUH, however none of them ever showed any objection to this marriage, although they would not let anything that he did or said pass without criticism... In fact, this false criticism has only emerged in recent years.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic