IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Good Article About Hijab in the West  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good Article About Hijab in the West

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good Article About Hijab in the West
    Posted: 29 March 2006 at 12:59pm

'It's only a piece of cloth'

Can a woman in a hijab still get a taxi? asks Yvonne Ridley

Sunday December 12, 2004
The Observer

Wearing a headscarf is no big deal... unless you happen to be a Muslim, in which case this simple piece of cloth arouses opinions, hostile glances and worse.
When I converted to Islam I knew I would have to embrace the Muslim head-dress. As for many converts, it was a huge stumbling block and I found all sorts of excuses not to wear the hijab - basically a symbol of modesty and a very public statement. When I finally did, the repercussions were enormous. All I did was put on a headscarf, but from that moment I became a second-class citizen.

The reaction from some people was unbelievable. I knew I would become a target for abuse from the odd Islamaphobic oik, but I didn't expect so much open hostility from complete strangers.

I can no longer be sure of getting a black cab in London... something I had taken for granted for many years. Let me give you some examples from the past two weeks:

Edgware Road in London, an area with a substantial Arab population: three black cabs, orange 'for hire' lights glowing, drive past one after another. It's about 11.30pm and I'm freezing and desperate to get home. A fourth taxi stops to discharge a white passenger. I reach the vehicle and tap the window, beaming from ear-to-ear at my saviour. The driver turns and stares hard, his face contorted into hatred and rage, and drives off.

Last month, pre-hijab, he would have returned the smile; now, in his eyes, I have been transformed into a terrorist.

Next day, horrified by the events of the previous evening, I tell my story to a non-Muslim friend who is not sympathetic. 'Well if you go around looking like a Chechen Black Widow what do you expect?' she says. But black is my favourite colour. It's just that my little black dress has become a big black dress.

That afternoon, I change my black hijab in favour of a paler silk turban-look which still covers my head. Very Vivienne Westwood, I think. I get my black cab without hassle, just a mere wave of the arm and I am taken to the West End for lunch with a very close friend who happens to be Jewish.

It was the first time she had seen me in a hijab but she just laughs and makes some nice compliments. In her eyes I am the same person she became friends with five years ago. No change. What a relief.

Later that day I meet some Muslim friends who also have not seen me for some time. They are excited to see me wearing a hijab, but tell me I look like a cross between a cancer victim and an Israeli settler. I report the unsavoury incident in the Edgware Road which had reduced me to tears.

'Welcome to the real world. This is what we have to put up with 24/7,' one tells me. There is more laughter at my apparent naivety, but I am puzzled and peeved at their acceptance that this is the way of things in Britain today.

A couple of days later I attend Yasser Arafat's memorial at London's Friends' Meeting House and dress appropriately in black with matching hijab showing a small sliver of Palestinian kaffiyeh across the forehead.

I may as well be sporting a Hamas-green 'jihad' tattoo across my temple from the openly hostile glares I receive from some passengers on London's Underground. Feeling uncomfortable and intimidated I get off at Baker Street and go to a taxi bay for the shortish journey down Euston Road. 'It's just across the road, why don't you walk?' barks the cabbie before returning to his newspaper.

There have been other incidents including one taxi driver's, 'Don't leave a bomb in the back seat,' or, 'Where's bin Laden hiding?' There are also amusing moments such as being congratulated in Regent's Park mosque for my excellent grasp of English.

But, in the eyes of many, I no longer am a real person. Waiters talk loudly and slowly if I am on my own, and if I am with a non-hijabi female, she is asked what I would like to eat.

So, when I see a woman wearing a hijab, regardless of whether I know her, I smile and say in Arabic, 'As-Salaam-Alaikum,' which means, 'Peace unto you'. I know that the rest of her encounters that day may well be hostile.

Yvonne Ridley's current affairs show The Agenda will launch on the Islam Channel later this month.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2006 at 2:58pm

wonderful Post, seems I am having the same problem with hijab as Yvonne is, but in my job field it is worse, I am only allowed to wear a modified bandana hijab (nursing) and now most people think I am a catholic nun...lol   Allahu Akbar!

maryah

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Srya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2006 at 8:12pm

Salem,

*LOL* Maryah

I went walking into the library yesterday after comming from the mosque on Friday. Feeling good, In a really good mood, continue walking in to the counter that I always go to where the woman is. She usually takes my library card (I have seen her many times in the past before hejab) as I am walking toward her. Her face is changing; as I get closer to her. I am thinking to myself.....what? do I have food in my teeth, do I look fat in this outfit, what.....then it dawns on me- oh! I have a hejab on.

hanifa View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2006 at 1:46pm
Assalamualaikum

Alhamdulillah I live in Indonesia that people wearing hijab are quite respectful because of their good attitude.  and I also decided to weir hijab just because I am jelaous to girls wearing hijab that are so respected by people especially men ( they even dont have a dare to touch their hand).  not because terrorist or too fanatics. I think people every where must realize this that having women wearing hijab as citizen will make a better and peace situation which wont cause any badthings like premarital sex that can cause AIDS!or atleast people wearing veil know so well that they mustn't attract men who married by covering their body. do people still use their lojic thing?? why dont they see a bright sides of wearing hijab? Islam is a light to all universe  not only for moslems. 
Moona View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2006 at 5:07pm
I have found too,that alot of people think,because I have white skin,that I must be a Chatholic nun.I always wear my hajib when I go outside my home.Sometime's people are rude to me,and sometime's they are very nice to me.(I live in America)I just go along my way,and treat everyone with kindness,especially to the rude people.
Moonie
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2006 at 5:11pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

They say be nice to mean/rude people because they need it the most....

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 12:56am
So why does a nun get respect for wearing an veil and we can't?
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 1:04am
Originally posted by Maryah Maryah wrote:

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=#cc3300 size=4>So why does a nun get respect for wearing an veil and we can't?

because they are not shown in movies and newspapers as oppressed womens.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic