IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : New Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Holidays  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holidays

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelebek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holidays
    Posted: 28 November 2017 at 3:35pm
As salamu alaykum

As of a few months ago i am a new muslim Alhamdulillah. I come from a non muslim country and i seek some guidance about holidays.

You see, my family is an atheist one and it has been a tradition for generations to put up a tree sometime during december, even though we never celebrated Christmas. We do celebrate New Year, which has nothing to do with religion, but is a tradition for my family that makes us even closer and have a nicely decorated home.

Also painting eggs for Easter. Ever since a child i have done this with family to comemorate the upcoming spring, as pagans have before Christianity was even present in my country. My country also has a special way of decorating them that is known worldwide.

As this has been a family tradition for generations and has been done even though we were never Catholic, i was shocked when my husband told me i cannot do any of it any more as it is looking like Catholic. So, even though it had nothing to do with religion for my family, i am to stop these traditions cause Christianity is using spruce and colored eggs as symbols?

I would be very happy if anyone had a similar experience to share with me and to give me more insight or help me out. And thank you in advance for any answers, guidance, help.

Have a wonderful day everyone
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2017 at 10:53pm
Salam/Peace
Majority scholars agree if you could avoid it is the best, however some scholar consider this as haram. There was history behind it, during the prophet Muhammad time, the prophet advise the companion not to resemble of the habit of unbeliever. For example unbeliever grow mustache no beard, so the Muslims suggested to have beard no mustache etc. A few reason behind it is to distinguish them from unbeliever, to give them confidence, self identity etc.

Also in Islam there is concept that we advised not to wast things, specially food, because many places that people starving. So in this case painting egg is considered wasting food.

So IMHO it's consider "makruh" if you can avoid it is the best adn you wll get reward for it, however if you do it is not a big sin. So try your best to avoid it.
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Kelebek View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelebek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2017 at 6:01am
Semar, thank you for your reply.

I will do my best to avoid any resemblance and attending things i am not supposed to, though i will have trouble with some. See, family doesn't know i am Muslim for one thing and would not accept it at all. Aspecially not my father. And secondly, my parents are of old age, ill, so they need lots of help. Because of this, i was told i can help them, but not attend celebrations (which we never had acctually) and advised not to feel as i am doing something festive or completely right when asked to help with certain things. Also, to beg forgiveness after helping with sth i would better stay away from.

I have to add that painted eggs were never thrown away. The process is done with natural colorings, materials and motives from spring. Throwing food away is something this house never did. Either it ends in our bellies or we use it to feed our animals, so nothing goes to waste.

Thank you for your help. My faith is strong and with propper guidance i can mannage doing right by Allah (Subhanahu wa ta'ala) and my parents.

Have a nice day
MIAW View Drop Down
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 12:24am
Originally posted by Kelebek Kelebek wrote:

... Thank you for your help. My faith is strong and with propper guidance i can mannage doing right by Allah (Subhanahu wa ta'ala) and my parents...

Assalamu Alaiki Kelebek,

I have so much respect, admiration for people like yourself who are holding on tight to their Islam... in a non-Islamic environment!.

It's an inspiration for all of us.

Every moment that you are forced to make secret choices and decisions (with the aim of pleasing Allah SWT and avoiding his Wrath) is a very 'rewarding' moment! (in your own words: Nothing goes to waste). I truly feel worthless next to people like yourself.

Thanks for sharing.

MIAW

DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2018 at 5:35am
Trees and eggs are cultural practices. They are associated with Christianity but are not Christian.

Get in touch with your deep feelings about them and find Islamic ways to express those deep feelings and your culture without signaling Christianity. No one will understand the inspiration but you, but that is enough.

Your culture can be expressed through Islam, and you will be an artist.
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic