IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does western society need more Islam?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does western society need more Islam?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon Harington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does western society need more Islam?
    Posted: 19 November 2017 at 6:55am
Hello everyone and as Salaamu Aleikum, this is my first serious post at IslamiCity.

Today on my way into work, I noticed advertising is everywhere. At the train station, there were huge posters of women wearing sexy underwear and posing on the beach. Obviously that company is hoping that people will see this and spend money, buying their products.

But I have been wondering, is it really a good idea for society? Is this healthy? Is this a good idea?

It seems to me if you over expose something, you make it less special. People become de-sensitised to what they are seeing. Women's beauty should be something special, but instead we have it shoved in our faces every day by marketing companies that want to make money out of us. I am starting to think it's bad.

Every two weeks, the giant-sized posters in that train station change, and ever more images of women posing in sexy bikini and underwear are put on the walls.

I am starting to wonder if western society could actually benefit from having a bit more Islam. In Muslim societies, things are very different. Instead of competing with each other to see how little clothes they can get away with, some Muslim women dress modestly and some of them even cover their hair.

If we turn on the TV or look at the newspaper, we see so-called pop stars like Miley Cyrus 'twerking', showing off their bodies, making sexual videos and trying to be as slutty as possible. It all seems to devalue and debase everything.

I am quite young, but I'm starting to see pop culture more and more for what it is - it all seems to be a cynical marketing exercise, in which all they care about is money and appealing to the lowest common denominator. A lot of our pop culture is just trash.

But I have spent a lot of time recently reading about Muhammad, and I take inspiration from how he lived. I guess I am becoming more spiritual with age.

Anyway I guess the nub of my question is this:

Would western society benefit from having a bit more Islam? It seems to me that making things a bit more spiritual and a bit cleaner might be to the benefit of everyone.

What do you think?
adeeliqbal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adeeliqbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2017 at 12:35am
Yes, definitely, There is less Islam and people are unaware of teachings of Islam. It's our duty to spread this religion towards non-Muslims.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2017 at 7:20am
Jon welcome! I think it's a question of western society becoming less secular, not more Islamic.
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2017 at 12:41pm
The society we have today is very different to that of 50 years ago. When my grandmother would not have left the house without something covering her hair.

The capacity for the West to take as absolute the validity of the current moral consensus is shocking for anybody with any sense of history.

The mad rush of cultural change that is the modern western world is bewildering. But I like it.

Edited by Tim the plumber - 23 November 2017 at 1:08am
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2017 at 12:28am
Allah in ch 24 v 30-31 of Quran ordered men to lower gaze whenever you had a bad thought after looking at a girl,if one practice this then there will be decrease in such immoralities
asep garut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Jon Harington Jon Harington wrote:

Anyway I guess the nub of my question is this:

Would western society benefit from having a bit more Islam? It seems to me that making things a bit more spiritual and a bit cleaner might be to the benefit of everyone.

What do you think?

Your question reminds me of the word of Allah 61: 8, whose content implies that the teachings of Islam will spread throughout the world including to the Western, because the Qur'an is revealed to all human beings who have common sense as in His word 39: 9
Asep Garut.

dialamah View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dialamah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 8:23am
Originally posted by Jon Harington Jon Harington wrote:

What do you think?

Based on how woman are advised to dress by their religious books and leaders, you might also ask if Western society would benefit from more Christianity, since modest dress is also advised in that religion.

As someone else said - more secularism and less religion. Too many people are only too happy to moralize about others' behavior and some of them, believing God is on their side, decide its their holy duty to impose their morality on others, even to the point of killing them. So I don't see religion as being any kind of solution to the over sexualization rampant in Western society.

People should be free to choose, whether it's twerking in short shorts or wearing a burka in public. Those that dislike it are free to do so, but they should not seek to impose their preferences on others.

asep garut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2018 at 8:34pm

Dialamah,

For Muslim women, in wearing clothing there is a guide from the Book and their Prophet. But Islamic teachings do not forbid non-Muslims to dress like that, it's up to their favorites. And for Muslim women will get some benefits, among others:

1. Received the reward from God because it is one of His commands.

2. Avoiding the heat of the sun when it's sweltering.

3. Avoiding from dust or pollution so that the hair will be kept clean.

4. To cover personal disgrace.

5. Avoiding negative views, especially in a predominantly Muslim countries, if not following the shari'ah of Islam will lead to various prejudices such as a naughty woman, cheap woman etc.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic