IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Could my ancestors be Muslim?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Could my ancestors be Muslim?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaspworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Could my ancestors be Muslim?
    Posted: 07 November 2017 at 11:22am
Hey there all,

I'm Jaspreet Singh. Completely new here. This is the first forum that showed up on Google!

Anyways, I am a Sikh as it might be obvious by my last name. I live in Canada and have met many nice Muslims here and many of them have helped me tremendously especially with my career. Thanks!

I have to say that all the propaganda against Muslims on TV is simply not right. I haven't studied Islam too much but it seems peaceful to me. However, I don't agree that Prophet Muhammad was the last prophet. Sorry if this offends anyone. I think we all have to agree that the Sikh Gurus were men of God as well.

Anyways, my surname is Kamboj (or Kamboh) and I have heard here and there that maybe our ancestors came from Iran. I can't find anything in my family history as proper records were not kept and nothing on internet as well. Anyone know anything about Kambojas and why some if them might have chosen Sikhi? I'm just curious. Thanks!

Edited by Jaspworld - 07 November 2017 at 11:23am
asep garut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 7:29pm

Dear Jaspreet Singh,

I would like to introduce myself, my name is Asep Sopian from Indonesia, I am interested in the articles you write, and I am very aware of the different understandings for everyone because it is the sunnatullah (the will of Allah).

Here is what I want to say that in my belief as a Muslim that the prophet Muhammad is the last prophet, according to the word of Allah in the Qur'an as follows:

�Muhammad is not the father of any of your men, but he is the Messenger of Allah and the last (end) of the Prophets. And Allah is ever all-aware of everything.� (Al Ahzab 33:40)

Then I also agree that the Sikh teacher is a pious person too, because in our country there are many people who are pious and they do not claim to be a prophet, but they get the nickname of "ulama" or "aulia" (person who knows a lot about the laws of religion) especially Islam religion, however there are also persons who claim to a prophet and even Gabriel, they claim themselves with his words, and not the recognition of the surrounding community.

It could be that your ancestors were Muslim or they weren't Muslim, it is only Allah knows all, but it's clear that from the prophet Adam to the last Prophet Muhammad, they worship only to Allah.

The religion of Islam is the rahmatan lil'alamin whose teachings respect the peace highly, Islam is neither destructive nor radical, even revile what is worship besides Islam is forbidden by Allah, as Allah says:

�And insult not those whom they (disbelievers) worship besides Allah, lest they insult Allah wrongfully without knowledge. Thus We have made fair-seeming to each people its own doings, then to their Lord is their return and He shall then inform them of all that they used to do.� (Al An�am 6:108)

As for those who propagate against the Muslims, then they really want to eliminate the Islamic religion on this earth, but at the finally they will be in vain because I remember the promise of Allah in the Qur'an:

�They intend to put out the light of Allah (i.e. the Religion of Islam, Qur�an, and the Prophet Muhammad) with their mouths. But Allah will bring His light to perfection even though the disbelievers hate it.� (As-Saff 61:8)

I am glad to talk with you and hopefully you are in good health and fine.

Regards,

Asep Garut

adeeliqbal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adeeliqbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 12:49am
Thank you, for the appreciation of Muslims. They are really nice and peaceful people.
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 7:57am
I have heard that Islam's definition of a prophet is a person who has spoken directly with God. In Christianity a prophet is a person who is inspired by God and proclaims his word but this person need not have had a direct connection. Dreams, angelic communication or inspiration are sufficient.

Therefore, some Christian prophets are considered prophets by Muslims and some are not.

I am not Muslim, so I welcome any gentle correction or confirmation on this point.

Edited by DavidC - 27 November 2017 at 7:58am
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
Jaspworld View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaspworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2017 at 7:59pm
Hey DavidC, I've never read the Quran really but still I know a bit about Islam.. I like to believe that Islam is a very peaceful religion however I think many Muslims misunderstood the teachings. For example, I think when Prophet Muhammad said not to draw his pictures I think he was trying to say that put emphasis of Allah and not him. He went really far not to give himself any importance and placed all the emphasis on Allah (God).

However, it seems Muslims did not understand his message and placed all the emphasis on the prophet instead. They started saying things like he's the last prophet and the greatest and most perfect man.. I don't think the prophet would like that Muslims give so much importance to him. I think this is the opposite of what he would have wanted. What do you think?
asep garut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by adeeliqbal adeeliqbal wrote:

Thank you, for the appreciation of Muslims. They are really nice and peaceful people.

You�re welcome Adeeliqbal,

One of the tasks of a Muslim is to clear a bad precedent to the teachings of Islam which is as if Islam is rough and radical, but if we understand the content of the Qur'an without favoring certain verses or surahs, Muslims will not do rough and radical.

Allah (swt) says in Imran 3: 159

�And by the Mercy of Allah, you dealt with them gently. And had you been severe and harsh-hearted, they would have broken away from about you, so pass over them and ask Allah�s forgiveness for them, and consult them in the affairs. Then when you have taken a decision, put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust in Him.�

Wassalam,

Asep Garut

DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2018 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Jaspworld Jaspworld wrote:

Hey DavidC, I've never read the Quran really but still I know a bit about Islam.. I like to believe that Islam is a very peaceful religion however I think many Muslims misunderstood the teachings. For example, I think when Prophet Muhammad said not to draw his pictures I think he was trying to say that put emphasis of Allah and not him. He went really far not to give himself any importance and placed all the emphasis on Allah (God).

However, it seems Muslims did not understand his message and placed all the emphasis on the prophet instead. They started saying things like he's the last prophet and the greatest and most perfect man.. I don't think the prophet would like that Muslims give so much importance to him. I think this is the opposite of what he would have wanted. What do you think?

I agree. Reading Martin Ling's bio of Muhummad, a scholarly Muslim work based entirely on hadith, the hadith show that Muhummad continually discouraged the cult of personality which developed around him.

Edited by DavidC - 16 January 2018 at 2:54pm
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
Tony7 View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 2:14am
Thank you for your kind words about Muslims!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic