IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Conversion to Christianity  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConversion to Christianity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conversion to Christianity
    Posted: 23 March 2006 at 8:26am

With the recent uproar about the punishment of an Afgan man who had converted from Islam to Christianity, is this a Muslim thing or just an Afgan thing?

Just asking.

They just don't get it!
USA1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 9:31am

Is this not a valid question from today's news from Afganistan?

They just don't get it!
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 10:11am
My own personal beleif is that execution for someone that converts to another religon is not needed. The person will have to face God someday and then will know if the decision was right or not. Who cares about the guy anyway, not me.
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
USA1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 10:15am

Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

My own personal beleif is that execution for someone that converts to another religon is not needed. The person will have to face God someday and then will know if the decision was right or not. Who cares about the guy anyway, not me.

I guess you don't take this seriously.

"You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart."

They just don't get it!
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 11:09am
Originally posted by USA1 USA1 wrote:

With the recent uproar about the punishment of an Afgan man who had converted from Islam to Christianity, is this a Muslim thing or just an Afgan thing?

Just asking.

everyone who leaves Islam is automatically killed is a false notion, I can assure you that this was certainly not the case in many cases. Even though the penalty for treason was the death penalty (as was the case in the Law of Moses as well), there was no targeting of people who simply chose to leave Islam without any implication of treason. To simply kill anyone who chooses to follow a religion other than Islam is against the fundamental teachings of the Qur�an. Freedom of conscience is a fundamental principle of Qur�anic that is clearly stated in no unambiguous terms. I list just a few:

[Had your Lord willed, all the people on earth would have believed. So can you (Prophet) compel people to believe?] (Yunus 10: 99).

[Say, �Now the truth has come from your Lord: Let those who wish to believe in it do so, and let those who wish to reject it do so�] (Al-Kahf 17: 29).

[So (people) respond to your Lord before there comes a Day that cannot, against God�s will, be averted�you will have no refuge on that Day, and no possibility of denying (your sins). If they still turn away (remember that) We have not sent you (Prophet) to be their keeper: your duty is to deliver the message] (Ash-Shura 42: 47-48).

[There is no compulsion in religion: true guidance has become distinct from error, so whoever rejects false gods and believes in Allah has grasped the firmest hand-hold, one that will never break. Allah is all hearing and all knowing] (Al-Baqrah 2: 256).

hope this help.

It must be an Afghan thing, as you can see muslims wouldnt do it.
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 11:29am
In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CAIR CALLS FOR RELEASE OF AFGHAN CHRISTIAN
Islamic civil rights group says conversion a personal, not state matter

(WASHINGTON, D.C., 3/22/2006) - A prominent national Islamic civil rights and advocacy group today called on the government of Afghanistan to release Abdul Rahman, a man facing the death penalty for converting from Islam to Christianity.

The Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) says the man's conversion is a personal matter not subject to the intervention of the state. SEE: Afghan Christian Could Face Death

In its statement, CAIR said:

"Islamic scholars say the original rulings on apostasy were similar to those for treasonous acts in legal systems worldwide and do not apply to an individual's choice of religion. Islam advocates both freedom of religion and freedom of conscience, a position supported by verses in the Quran, Islam's revealed text, such as:

1) 'If it had been the will of your Lord that all the people of the world should be believers, all the people of the earth would have believed! Would you then compel mankind against their will to believe?' (10:99)
2) '(O Prophet) proclaim: 'This is the Truth from your Lord. Now let him who will, believe in it, and him who will, deny it.'' (18:29)
3) 'If they turn away from thee (O Muhammad) they should know that We have not sent you to be their keeper. Your only duty is to convey My message.' (42:48)
4) 'Let there be no compulsion in religion.' (2:256)

"Religious decisions should be matters of personal choice, not a cause for state intervention. Faith imposed by force is not true belief, but coercion. Islam has no need to compel belief in its divine truth. As the Quran states: 'Truth stands out clear from error. Therefore, whoever rejects evil and believes in God has grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold that never breaks.' (2:256)

"We urge the government of Afghanistan to order the immediate release of Mr. Abdul Rahman."

Before issuing its statement, CAIR consulted with members of the Fiqh Council of North America, an association of Islamic legal scholars that interprets Muslim religious law.

CAIR, America's largest Muslim civil liberties group, has 32 offices, chapters and affiliates nationwide and in Canada. Its mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 11:58am
Usa1, I meant who cares about this one guy becoming a christian? I am saying it is a non issue for me and I don't care and am not angry with him at all. It is his choice, his life and his soul. Just as a christian could say about someone who converts to islam. Let them be. That is what I meant.
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
USA1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 12:03pm

Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

Usa1, I meant who cares about this one guy becoming a christian? I am saying it is a non issue for me and I don't care and am not angry with him at all. It is his choice, his life and his soul. Just as a christian could say about someone who converts to islam. Let them be. That is what I meant.

Thanks for your clarification.

They just don't get it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic