IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tolerant Islam?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tolerant Islam?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tolerant Islam?
    Posted: 22 March 2006 at 4:41pm
As I stated in my introduction, I am simply trying to understand, so please no flames.

Muslims have often characterized their religion as tolerant, however some current events, and those who seem to be acting authoritatively on behalf of Islam, seem to contradict this claim.

One which has recently occurred has me especially stymied http://feeds.cincinnatinews.net/?rid=468763338fbadfc5&ca t=90d24f4ad98a2793&f=1.  The article starts:

"An Afghan man is being prosecuted for converting from Islam to Christianity and could face the death penalty if found guilty.

The trial, thought to be the first of its kind in Afghanistan, highlights a struggle between religious conservatives and reformists over what role Islam will take in the country four years after the fall of the Islamic fundamentalist Taleban regime.

Abdul Rahman, 41, was arrested last month after his family accused him of becoming a Christian, the judge, Ansarullah Mawlavezada, said in Kabul yesterday.

During a hearing last Thursday, Mr. Rahman is said to have confessed that he converted from Islam to Christianity 16 years ago while working as a medical aid worker for an international Christian group helping Afghan refugees in the Pakistani city of Peshawar.

"We are not against any particular religion in the world.  But in Afghanistan, this sort of thing is against the law," the judge said.  "It is an attack on Islam."

Mr. Mawlavezada said he would rule on the case within 2 months.

The prosecutor, Abdul Wasi, said he had offered to drop the charges if Mr. Rahman converted back to Islam, but he refused.

He went on:  "He would have been forgiven if he had changed back.  But he said he was a Christian and would always remain one.  We are Muslims and becoming a Christian is against our laws.  He must get the death penalty..."

This does not strike me as a particularly tolerant thing to do.  Nor does it seem to comply with the Quran which has often been quoted to me as saying that there should be no compulsion in religion.

Just how do reasonable Muslims explain such a thing?
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 7:13pm

To answer your question, bro runner, kindly see that the same incident has already been under discussion starting from page 26 at http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3751& ;PN=1&TPN=26

and my response to this question on page 29 at http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3751& ;PN=1&TPN=29

Let me know if still you have any questions or comments about the issue or any other issue that may interest you in regard to understanding Islam.

runner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 4:39am
Thank you, brother for your kind reply.  I had a bit of difficulty following the first link, since it appeared that a lot of other issues were discussed in that thread.

However your post in the second thread makes a great deal of sense, especially the issues of confusing the issue of apostacy and desertion or other criminal activities.  Would that your other brothers recognize the incident described by Bukhari (V4,B56,No.814) where one of the Prophet's scribes reverted yet the Prophet (pbuh) seemed to respect that.

And I was impressed with the way that you & your collegues dealt with the issue of Judas, which by my knowledge is entirely consistent with the spirit (if not necessarily the letter, since there are many details about which all scriptures are silent) of the New Testament.

I do hope that you and others who think like you can bring some of these insights to more of your brothers & sisters.

Wasaalam.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic