IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Meaning of name  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meaning of name

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meaning of name
    Posted: 21 March 2006 at 3:55pm

Assalam u Alaikum

I would like to seek clarification of a meaning of a name. I a mother of a new born baby girl. I have seen the name 'Zoha' (persian name meaning first ray of sunlight) on a couple of websites but I am not too sure if its really an Islamic name and whether I can keep it.

I would also love to receive some suggestions on names. My baby is v.special to me esp since I nearly lost her when she was inside me, and now though she is in this world (she is a premature baby and is still fighting her way)she has a long way to go.

I was also wondering if anyone knows of any duas I can read for her. Ofcourse I read a lot of surahs, and ait-ul-qursi on her everyday.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Jazakullah

rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2006 at 4:23pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

jalal aldeen rumi once said Woman is a ray of allah.

i dont know if there is a persian name which means that though.
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2006 at 5:37pm

Salam,

Congratulation. May Allah make her grows become a shaleehah (good), healthy and smart women.

You may want to refer to the follwoing post:

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3891& ;PN=1

Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2006 at 7:40pm

All my sincere and well wishes for you sis shania. If the meaning of the name is as what you have mentioned, then it is immaterial if its persian or american, they are all Islamic since it is meaningful and is beautiful without the element of shirk in it.

On the issue of Dua, I think, Allah listens to everyone in their own languages. I don't think there is any "magic" in arabic other than obviously we know that Quran was revealed in this language and therefore should be dear to us. But when it comes to personal appeal to Allah, its mostly the sincerity of one's own urge to ask forgiveness and mercy from Allah, that I beleive, is most important. In the time of difficulty, its the resolve through our faith that we must not entertain any superstitions in our behaviour and only trust on Allah should be our main support. May Allah be with you. Amin.

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 6:29am

Bismillah,

I agree that her name is beautiful and doesn't violate the rule of not having a non-Islamic name, one which denotes shirk.

May Allah, The Life-Giver bless your baby with health and strong faith, ISA.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
shania View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 1:40pm

Assalam u Alaikum

Thank you all for your kind messages and wishes. If it were not my faith upon Allah, I dont think Zoha would have ever come this far.

Insha allah I hope I am able to expand my knowledge through this website. 

May Allah bless you all with good health, wealth and prosperity.

Jazakullah Khairan  

Farrukh View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farrukh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 4:07am
Can anybody help me, I want to know if we can write Zoha in arabic with
letter Zaal or zaa instead of zuwaad, and what is the meaning if we write
it with letter zaal or zaa?

Jazakallah
Farrukh

Edited by Farrukh - 14 April 2010 at 4:09am
SteppeNomad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteppeNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2010 at 8:36pm
Zoha, sounds likes a beautiful name.
Ya Allah, Bismillah, AllahuAkbar.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic