IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Acid reflux Disease  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acid reflux Disease

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2006 at 7:49pm
Salam sisters,

mishmish, u hv reflux for 15 years. & ummziba for 18 years. how strong u r sisters. i had it the first time recently, and honestly it's shocking. my symptoms include:
  1. heartburn - it pounded so strong, my arm went numbed.
  2. tightness in throat - i'm afraid i couldn't swallow, so for the first time i chew food longer & correctly. and my appetite turned off to basic food. sometimes i can go not eating, because i hv no appetite. staples are bread-dipped milo, & porridge
  3. burping - the bad days: fluid burp, good days: wind burp
  4. increased saliva
  5. on & off fever (on the worst point my vision blurred a bit, but now ok)
the doctor gave antacids. & weeks after my body feels a bit better. but now i'm watching what i eat. i honestly don't know what will upset the stomach exactly. if i eat fish in the morning, it's ok. so i think that's acceptable. but then, i ate the same thing, it's not.

so now i'm just testing food. the safe-prooved: bread, milo, porridge, nestle oats, fruits. the rest: it's really unknown. not even rice (the all-my-life food staple!).

still another thing, i hope i don't offend people if i don't want to eat. sometimes my family cook or buy some food, and i don't wanna eat it. this makes me look like a choosy eater, or hurt their feelings, aiyo... i'm so sorry. i'm afraid i'll look like snubbing food, waa! but i think now my family understands. & i hope Allah would help other ppl understand too, if they see me with weird eating habits ...

Edited by firewall3
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2006 at 8:38pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

Sister Firewall:

Insha'Allah your reflux will not get worse.

I finally gave up and went to the doctor and got my prescription for Prevacid renewed. I'm tired of sleeping sitting up.... Then I made spaghetti tonight with garlic toast, my husband was very happy..

When my reflux is very bad even the Prevacid does not help completely. Rice is one of my big problems also, and I love rice. Especially maghlooba, it's an Arabian dish that has fried eggplant, cauliflower, and potatoes mixed with rice and chicken and you eat it with yogurt. It's SOOOOOOOO delicious, but really hurts my stomach. Kupsa, also an Arabian rice dish, really hurts too. That's when I first noticed something really wrong, after eating kupsa for three nights in a row and waking up each night with horrible pain and burning reflux. And Pakistani food, forget about it! Too bad all of the good stuff hurts so bad. But honestly, sometimes it's worth the pain...

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2006 at 4:22am

Assalamu alaikum,

Sisters, I wonder if it is the rice or what we put on or with it?  For example, eggplant and cauliflower are "gassy" vegetables and yougurt, well, any milk product bothers my stomach.  Can you eat just plain rice with nothing on it?  I find I usually can, though of course, when the stomach is bad even the plainest food sometimes hurts.

I have found that putting some mint leaves in my tea allows me to enjoy a cup once in a while, otherwise it just gives me heartburn.  I have also found that putting fresh parsley on meat dishes and salads helps my stomach a bit.

Well, I pray Allah gives you all patience to deal with your topsy turvey stomachs!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2006 at 5:08pm

Bismillah,

Sister Firewall, make sure to follow the advice Ummziba gave about not sleeping with food on your stomach - definitely wait at least three hours after you eat before you sleep, and even then start out at least sleeping at a good angle.

Sister Mishmish, I think Ummzibba may be right about the types of veggies in your makluba.  Many people use carrotts and potatoes instead of cauliflower.  (Is eggplant gassy too?)

How are you with amjadara?  (Cook the lentils longer than usual maybe?)

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2006 at 5:49pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

Maglooba without cauliflower, bite your tongue Sis!

I rarely eat either anymore, my stomach just can't handle them. But if I do make them, I add everything. It's usually worth the pain....

Another of my favorites is Moroccan lemon chicken with olives. This is SO delicious, and actually only bothers me once in a while. If any of you would like the recipe, let me know. You do have to have preserved lemons, but they are very simple to make.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2006 at 3:56am

Assalamu alaikum,

Sis Mishmish, do post the recipe in the recipe thread (it is buried here under Sisters, probably many pages back)!  I serve a lot of chicken so new ways to do it are always welcome.  And I have the instructions for prepared lemons, but for those who don't, perhaps you could post that as well.

I had the pleasure of enjoying Algerian sweets and mint tea yesterday (we local sisters take turns hosting our weekly meetings, and the sister's we were at is Algerian).  The mint tea was incredible (though very sweet) and the pastries were delicious and very heartburn causing!  I thought the mint might counteract all the sweets but ...another eating lesson learned!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic