IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What to do?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What to do?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asala126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to do?
    Posted: 17 March 2006 at 5:58am

Salamu Alikum sisters. Is it haram for muslim women to talk to men?

Please help me as I'm not sure where to look or who to ask.

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 6:44am

No is is not haram to talk to men, if you behave like a proper lady. You can talk on the phone, or in public with other people around or at your home if your family is present. It is all about your behaviour and that of the man. If you are not up to anything, nothing can happen and just don't be alone with a guy! Peace

You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
asala126 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asala126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 6:54am

Thank you Jenni for your reply.  That's what I thought, but are there Ahadith or anything in the Quran that says it's not haram?  It's hard in such society to not talk to men.  They are around us everywhere, in the street or transportation, if you want to order something over the phone, or even at work.  I'm a proper lady but I need to know for sure that it is not haram.

firewall3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 7:49am
is there a hadith and Quran that states it's haram to have decent conversation?

personally, i think the hadiths even states how the women did talk to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), and they're even brave enough ask the Prophet even the most personal things, like menstruation. so surely, the Prophet did talk to women. if not, how did he spread da'wah to women answering their queries? how did he do business, entertain his guests, help the needy? i believe he did talk to non-mahram women. and if he did it, surely it's not haram. if not please correct me.

also as another example, Aisha is a reciter of hadiths. in some hadiths, she even adviced the people strongly. and didn't the wives of the Prophet holds even stricter conduct? i believe so.

plus, in the Quran, it is enjoined to greet others, to get to know each other, be good to neighbours who are strangers. so i believe it's okay, as long as it's decent & within guidelines. if anybody find me one Quran or one hadiths that bars decent talking, i think i'll think about it again.

wallahu a'lam.

asala126 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asala126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 10:43am
Thank you firewall.  But wasn't Aisha used to recite the hadith not directly to the men?  She was behind Hajeb (wall)?
arabia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arabia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2006 at 6:32am

asalamualakum ,

it is not haram to talk to men if you are being proper and acting the way a women should . if you are flirting and such than it is ,if you talk in a good way and dont give the man any signal of like or you are flirting then you shouldnt be worried .

masalama

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic