IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Qur’an and Science  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Qur�an and Science

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Qur�an and Science
    Posted: 04 April 2005 at 12:25pm

Though the Qur'an is not a scientific book it does contain many scientific facts, many of which have only been realized in the last few hundred years.  Perhaps as time moves forward and humans learn more about this incredible universe, even more facts of science will be realized in the Qur'an.

I do not pretend to understand why Allah placed these in His beautiful book, but I would venture a guess that they are there to help people believe that it is indeed a book that could only have come from Him.

One of my favorite examples (because I had just heard it recently on a science program on T.V. when I read it in the Qur'an) is about mountains acting as "pegs" on the earth.

an-naba' 78:6-7 -"Have We not made the earth as a wide expanse, And the mountains as pegs?"

al-anbiya' 21:31 - "And We have set on the earth mountains standing firm, lest it should shake with them, and We have made therein broad highways (between mountains) for them to pass through: that they may receive guidance."

The scientific fact is that the earth's crust is very thin and the folding of the crust into mountains does indeed help stabilize the earth, like pegs!  This would not have been known in the time Muhammad (pbuh) was receiving the revelation.

This and other scientific facts in the Qur'an are indeed signs for those who use their reason!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2005 at 12:30pm

As Salamu Alaikum 

Insha Allah I will repost some of my favorite Ayat on science here

"Yes we are able to put together in perfect order the tips of his fingers."

Surah Al-Qiyamah 75:4

Isn't this a recent discovery that we all have different and unique fingerprints.

In the Holy Surah Al-Anbiya' 21: 30 Allah states:

"Do the disbelievers not see that the heavens and the earth were joined together, then I split them apart".

According to scientist this Ayah refers to the "Big Bang" theory.

Surah Luqman 31:29 Allah says "Have you not seen how Allah merges the night into the day and merges the day into the night."

The use of the word "merges" emphasizes a slow gradual change, and
this is not possible if the earth is flat.

Man thought that the Earth was flat, until Sir Frances Drake in 1607 finally proved it to be spherical.

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
unity1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unity1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2005 at 4:20am
Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>Though the Qur'an is not a scientific book it does contain many scientific facts, many of which have only been realized in the last few hundred years.� Perhaps as time moves forward and humans learn more about this incredible universe, even more facts of science will be realized in the Qur'an.

<FONT face=Arial size=2>I do not pretend to understand why Allah placed these in His beautiful book, but I would venture a guess that they are there to help people believe that it is indeed a book that could only have come from Him.

<FONT face=Arial size=2>One of my favorite examples (because I had just heard it recently on a science program on T.V. when I read it in the Qur'an) is about mountains acting as "pegs" on the earth.

<FONT face=Arial size=2>an-naba' 78:6-7 -"Have We not made the earth as a wide expanse, And the mountains as pegs?"

<FONT face=Arial size=2>al-anbiya' 21:31 - "And We have set on the earth mountains standing firm, lest it should shake with them, and We have made therein broad highways (between mountains) for them to pass through: that they may receive guidance."

<FONT face=Arial size=2>The scientific fact is that the earth's crust is very thin and the folding of the crust into mountains does indeed help stabilize the earth, like pegs!� This would not have been known in the time Muhammad (pbuh) was receiving the revelation.

<FONT face=Arial size=2>This and other scientific facts in the Qur'an are indeed signs for those who use their reason!

<FONT face=Arial size=2>Peace, ummziba.

Asalam Aalaikum

Well,I have a different approach on this subject due to the fact that many Scientists donot agree with the claim that Qur'an contains recently discovered Scientific Facts.

As far as the Qur'anic verse regarding the mountains is concerned, their are Scientists who donot agree with the view of these verses because according to their knowledge and understanding mountains cause earth quakes to take place and doesnot prevent the earth from shaking.

Even If we accept that these verses of the Qur'an are refering to the recently discovered Scientific Facts which were unknown 1400 years ago, then how did the people of that period understood these verses and we know that during that period ,their was no Modern Science and Technology?

Regards,

who call themselves superior are actually inferior in the eyes of Allah.Those who call themselves slaves of Allah are superior not only in the eyes of Allah but also superior in the eyes of man.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2005 at 9:40am

In answer to Unity 1, 

After the 26 December 2004 tsunami, I saw a scientist explaining on television that, in fact, earthquakes are absolutely necessary.  They release the energy produced by plate tectonics, other wise the earth's very thin crust would crumble to pieces and be overwhelmed by the magma it sits on.  And he did say the mountains of the earth act as a stabilizer for this thin crust we live on.  The energy must be released, therefore, there must be earthquakes, but the mountains stabilize the earth's crust

I don't remember the exact scientific terminology or the entire explaination, I just remember being struck with awe at the fact that Allah planned everything for every eventuality! 

As far as disputing scientific facts, that is not an unusal human reaction.  Scientists are in dispute about many things!

As far as understanding the Qur'an 1400 years ago (or for that matter, 1400 years from now), I don't believe we will ever entirely and completely understand Allah's beautiful book.  It is full of so many layers upon layers of meaning.  As long as something does not contradict what is written in the Qur'an (can you state a scientific fact that the Qur'an disagrees with?), then what is the problem?

Perhaps it is more a matter of faith than of science?  I am not a scholar of either, this is all just my humble opinion, based on what I have read, heard, seen.  I will always take the word of Allah over the word of any mere mortal!

Peace, ummziba.

unity1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unity1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2005 at 2:22pm
Asalam Aalaikum

Umzibba

I hope our discussion continous in this fruitful manner. Iam not against the claim that Qur'an contains scientific facts, Iam actually neutral on this point.

Qur'an is a holy book of guidance for the entire mankind, it is not a book of science that we all know.
Some Muslim Scholars like Dr.Zakir Naik, claim that

"Science without religion is lame and religion without science is blind"

I don't think their is anything wrong with the first part of this statement but the last phrase of this sentence " religion without science is blind" really disappoints me . It means that if we are talking about Islam, then it means that Islam depends on Science and without it we cannot recieve guidance from Islam.
I don't understand how can something which is blind guide others?
I would like to ask all those muslims and scholars who believe that "religion without science is blind" that how did Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) convince people of his time about the truth from Islam?

Regards,

Edited by unity1

who call themselves superior are actually inferior in the eyes of Allah.Those who call themselves slaves of Allah are superior not only in the eyes of Allah but also superior in the eyes of man.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2005 at 2:14pm

Unity 1,

I don't for a minute pretend to know what exactly Dr. Zakir Naik means in his statement.  Myself, I would think that the second part, the part you have a problem with, might mean that blind faith is not a good thing.  

In other words, we shouldn't believe or follow our religion just by blind faith, we should use our reason and knowledge and thinking brain to challenge and thereby afirm our beliefs.  Science is one of the ways to do that.  Does Allah not challenge us to think and use our reason many times in the Qur'an?

As for the early followers of the prophet (pbuh), I think that his perfect example is what convinced them about Islam, more so than any proofs from the Qur'an.  Even without looking at anything "scientific", there is still lots in the Qur'an to convince people that Islam is the way to worship Allah.  This is all, of course, only my opinion!

Peace, ummziba.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2005 at 2:16pm

Oh, and sorry it took so long to get back on this.  Sometimes I forget where I have posted until I happen upon it again!  Sorry about that.

Peace, ummziba.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2005 at 12:14pm

Found this today on the net.  Thought it quite appropriate to this topic!

"And verily, the exterior of the Qur'an is elegant and its esoteric (meaning) is deep.  Its wonders cannot be enumerated, and its marvels will not cease; and the darkness cannot be removed except by it."  (Imam 'Ali ibn Abi-Talib)

Layers and layers of meaning, the full of which is known only to Allah and the Prophet!  What a gift of endless discovery for us all!

Peace, ummziba.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic