IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Qur’an and Science  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Qur�an and Science

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
deist View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Qur�an and Science
    Posted: 27 April 2005 at 3:34am
Greetings and peace,

we had similar discussions in the old board.
My opinion was and still is that there is nothing "scientific" in the quran that was just resently discovered and couldnt have been written at that time.

Actually its not even important because as said above ... the quran never made any claim to be a science book.
Peace
Deist

Edited by deist
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2005 at 9:45am

So sorry, unity 1, I got that quote from the net somewhere (I cannot remember where, sorry).  If it comes to me, or I come across it again, I'll let you know.  I do love the quote though!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
unity1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unity1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2005 at 5:14am

Asalam Aalaikum

Ummziba

can you please provide the reference no of the following statement:

"And verily, the exterior of the Qur'an is elegant and its esoteric (meaning) is deep. Its wonders cannot be enumerated, and its marvels will not cease; and the darkness cannot be removed except by it." (Imam 'Ali ibn Abi-Talib)"

who call themselves superior are actually inferior in the eyes of Allah.Those who call themselves slaves of Allah are superior not only in the eyes of Allah but also superior in the eyes of man.
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 5:07am

As Salamu Alaikum

Interesting topic.

I agree with Ummziba that the Glorious Qur'an is not a scientific book and why Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala chose to include these facts in His Book is anyone's guess.

The same applies to many aspects of the Glorious Qur'an. Take for instance the case with Parables in the Qur'an. Why did Allah include parables in His Book. As sister ummziba  "Quote: we shouldn't believe or follow our religion just by blind faith, we should use our reason and knowledge and thinking brain to challenge and thereby afirm our beliefs" Unquote

Allah states in the Qur'an : �And these similitudes We put forward for mankind; but none will understand them except those who have knowledge (of Allah and His Signs)� [al-�Ankabut 29:43]

The Qur'an is a miracle of all miracles that will last to the Day of Judgment. The miracles of the other Prophets like Musa and Isa (Alayhuma Salam) were time related to their period of Prophethood.

Having studied and examined the Arabic text of the Qur'an, Dr. Bucaille marvels:

I could not find a single error in the Qur'an. I had to stop and ask myself: if a man were the author of the Qur'an, how could he (referring here to Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) have written facts in the Seventh century AC. that today are shown to be in keeping with modern scientific knowledge? I had to acknowledge the evidence in front of me: the Qur'an did not contain a single statement that was assailable from a modern scientific point of view. I repeated the same test for the Old Testament and the Gospels, always preserving the same objective outlook. In the former, I did not have to go even beyond the first book, Genesis, to find statements totally out of keeping with what modern science considers to be indisputable facts. (Macropaedia, Vol. 18, p. 1008, of the Encyclopedia Britannica)

Many scientists have reverted to Islam after studying the Qur'an. Most scientific theories of the past have been refuted by the scientists of today.

If today scientists are refuting that the mountains are not "pegs" that stabilize the earth's crust, tomorrow we will have scientist who will prove this claim made in the Glorious Qur'an. Insha Allah!

Salams

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
unity1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unity1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2005 at 12:35am

Asalam Aalaikum

What this Qur'anic verse regarding mountains is actually refering to is that mountains donot let the earth from shaking, this shaking doesnot refer to earth quakes, this refers to the general shaking which can take place if mountains were not present on earth.
The earth would become disbalance.
It has been discovered recently that the foundation(under the earths surface) of the mountain is equal in density to the upper portion of the mountain (above the earth surface) inorder to to keep the earth in balance.

Regards,

who call themselves superior are actually inferior in the eyes of Allah.Those who call themselves slaves of Allah are superior not only in the eyes of Allah but also superior in the eyes of man.
unity1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unity1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2005 at 12:22am
Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>In answer to Unity 1,�

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>After the 26 December 2004 tsunami, I saw a scientist explaining on television that, in fact, earthquakes are absolutely necessary.�They release the energy produced by plate tectonics, other wise the earth's very thin crust would crumble to pieces and be overwhelmed by the magma it sits on.And he did say the mountains of the earth act as a stabilizer for this thin crust we live on.� The energy must be released, therefore, there must be earthquakes, but the mountains stabilize the earth's crust

<FONT face=Arial size=2>I don't remember the exact scientific terminology or the entire explaination, I just remember being struck with awe at the fact that Allah planned everything for every eventuality!�

<FONT face=Arial size=2>As far as disputing scientific facts, that is not an unusal human reaction.� Scientists are in dispute about many things!

<FONT face=Arial size=2>As far as understanding the Qur'an 1400 years ago (or for that matter, 1400 years from now), I don't believe we will ever entirely and completely understand Allah's beautiful book.It is full of so many layers upon layers of meaning.� As long as something does not contradict what is written in the Qur'an (can you state a scientific fact that the Qur'an disagrees with?), then what is the problem?

<FONT face=Arial size=2>Perhaps it is more a matter of faith than of science?� I am not a scholar of either, this is all just my humble opinion, based on what I have read, heard, seen.� I will always take the word of Allah over the word of any mere mortal!

<FONT face=Arial size=2>Peace, ummziba.

Ummziba

Thank you for providing us such a useful information ,may Allah(swt) bless you with all his blessings. Actually their are matalic plates under the earth surface which move by current generated from the earths core situated at the centre of the earth, when these plates collide with each other, they release energy and causes disturbance and vibration in other plates and causes earth quake to take place.

This is my opinion on how earth quakes are caused ,I don't remember much about it , I read about it 4 or 5 years ago.Inshallah after doing some research on this subject, I will explain about it in detail.

Regards,

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2005 at 12:14pm

Found this today on the net.  Thought it quite appropriate to this topic!

"And verily, the exterior of the Qur'an is elegant and its esoteric (meaning) is deep.  Its wonders cannot be enumerated, and its marvels will not cease; and the darkness cannot be removed except by it."  (Imam 'Ali ibn Abi-Talib)

Layers and layers of meaning, the full of which is known only to Allah and the Prophet!  What a gift of endless discovery for us all!

Peace, ummziba.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2005 at 2:16pm

Oh, and sorry it took so long to get back on this.  Sometimes I forget where I have posted until I happen upon it again!  Sorry about that.

Peace, ummziba.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic