IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslim Men Removed From Plane  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim Men Removed From Plane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslim Men Removed From Plane
    Posted: 16 March 2006 at 1:16pm
LCCR: MUSLIM FATHER AND SON REMOVED FROM AIRPLANE BECAUSE FLIGHT ATTENDANT FELT 'UNCOMFORTABLE' - TOP
Civil rights group demands full investigation, civil rights training

The Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights today asked the U.S. Department of Transportation to investigate a recent incident of racial profiling on board UA flight 6501, operated by United Express/SkyWest Airlines, and to take action against the airlines. Two Muslim men of South Asian descent were removed from the flight simply because their presence made a flight attendant uncomfortable, and despite the fact that they posed no security risk. SEE: http://www.lawyerscomm.org/

On January 31, 2006, Mohammed Khan and his father, Fazal Khan, had boarded their flight from Los Angeles to Oakland and were waiting for the plane to take off. Both men wore traditional South Asian tunics and white skullcaps, and both had long beards. After the flight was delayed an hour on the runway, a customer service representative boarded the plane and told the Khans that they would have to leave the aircraft to discuss something inside the terminal. There, the representative informed the men that they could not remain on the flight because their presence made the flight attendant uncomfortable. She found them seats on a different flight that departed two hours later.

The circumstances make it abundantly clear that no security rationale existed for the Khans' removal. The airline even left the men's checked luggage on board the original flight, which took off shortly after the Khans were removed. In addition, when the Khans protested to the customer service representative that they had done nothing wrong, the representative did not deny their claim or state that their behavior was suspicious, but only repeated that the flight attendant was not comfortable with them on board. Moreover, the Khans were not questioned or searched before they boarded the second flight, and to their knowledge, no airport security official was even informed of their removal.

"We were humiliated in front of people for no reason at all," said Mohammed Khan. "Everyone who saw us taken off the flight will now think it's OK to look down on anyone who looks like us."

"Since this incident, when we leave the house to go shopping or to the hospital or even when we are driving, we worry how people will treat us because of how we look. The humiliation we felt will remain with us for a very long time," Khan added.

"Racial stereotypes must never be the basis for a decision to remove someone from an airplane," said attorney Shirin Sinnar of the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights. "In the months after 9/11, South Asian or Middle Eastern passengers were removed from flights numerous times based purely on prejudice. Many Americans will be surprised to realize that this kind of discrimination is still occurring." Sinnar also noted that United Air Lines was already required by the Department of Transportation to provide annual civil rights training to employees because the airline had discriminated against Arab, Middle Eastern, South Asian, or Muslim passengers after 9/11.

In addition to a full investigation of the incident, the Lawyers' Committee is asking United and SkyWest Airlines to change their policies to prevent such discrimination from occurring again, to implement renewed civil rights training for their employees, and to compensate the two men for the pain they experienced.
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2006 at 11:05pm

Assalamu Alaikum

I think the flight attendant should be removed from her position.  If she cannot do her job in a rational "non-paranoid" manner, than she should not be a flight attendant.  All jobs have their qualification and proficiencies...obviously she does not fulfill those of her position.  Furthermore, those who allowed her paranoia to sway them to act in a discriminatory manner should also be fired.  I do not possess much sympathy for individuals who have such positions and are unable to do them in a just and proficient manner.  These men were publicly humiliated solely based upon their appearance.  Inshallah, the airline will take the proper actions to guarantee that this behavior is not repeated and that the courts make sure that they don�t slack in doing so.

Allah Hafiz

Sister Khadija

Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
firewall3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 7:07am
i was publicly humiliated too. i was angry, but after months... now maybe Allah wants me to learn humility. i should learn that. and Rasulullah (PBUH) was rejected in Thaif too, yet he's still kind to them. and at least he wasn't shot dead. like the other guy... so there's another blessing.

anyway, i hope he gets his refund. & hope he'll get a better flight next time, insha Allah.

Edited by firewall3
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 10:00am

Bismillah,

Our plane flight from England to Cinncinnatti, and the delay of it is really a story!  When they searched our huge amount of luggage years ago (1999), I knew it would take some time, but it took hours.  They took it apart completely causing us to miss our flight.  My kids and I had to stay and watch them, and it was so long and tiring and humiliating.  The suited men eyed us like criminals and we were just a family with a lot of luggage. 

Which is a big reason, my brothers and sisters in Islaam, that I took off my scarf when I got off the plane in Ohio. 

Freedom of Speech is decreasing for Muslims all the time.  Our clothes, our travel, our beliefs are lambasted and we are personally attacked.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
pauline35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauline35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2006 at 10:09am
Dear Firewall3, the incident has enlightened us the level of morality of that Flight attendant. Not only she is seen racist but also perceived as down-syndrome character. As such, it is a lesson to improve our morality by not behaving such in the public.
pauline35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauline35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2006 at 10:14am
Do you all know that the second waves of terror led by Osama Bin Laden was supposed to be carried out by 5 Malaysians. This is due to close eyes setting on all Middle Easterners. The second waves was titled The California Project eyeing at the Library Tower. But Al-hamdullilah that THE FIVE MALAYSIAN were caught prior to the attack. No date was set for the second attack.
pauline35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauline35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2006 at 10:27am
Nevertheless to say LA or America's airport security to date is tighter than the hangman's noose. They strangle your throat till your last breathe and release you when their mood is snoozing. Pick and choose is the latest technology in bag and body search. The Government gives the airport security personnel an omnipotent status. An extension in humiliating the look alike hijackers.
pauline35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauline35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2006 at 10:29am
If you are like me, being a chinese lady with incorrigible looks spare me from the hangman's noose.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic