IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslims and Charity  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslims and Charity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslims and Charity
    Posted: 15 March 2006 at 1:20pm

How come Muslims only are suppose to give to other Muslims when giving to charity or at least they think of them first? I have been extremely interested in Islam and have been reading about it alot and I notice on one Islamic website a Muslim asked if they could give to a non-Muslim charity, however, the answer said the person should give to other Muslims. I also notice while reading forums and articles written by Muslims they often suggest ppl can do good by donating to a good Muslim charity or they should help Muslim orphans. This seems prejudice to me. Is there a reason why this is done or am I misguided?

I was raised as a Christian even though I dont consider myself a Christian any longer. I remember when I was little our pastor would often urge ppl to give to charity, but they never said anything about only caring ppl of a certain religion. When my family sponsored a orphan thru our church nobody cared that the child was a Muslim, Christian, Hindu or what religion the child was born into.

This all seems strange to me can somenone explain why this is done to me.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2006 at 1:58pm

Kelsey,

I think your confusion is over zakat and other charity.  Zakat is the minimum charity all Muslims must give and it is usually given to Muslims.  However, any other charity (and Muslims are encouraged to give as much charity as they can) is given to anyone in need regardless of their religion or any other circumstance.

If I have got this wrong I am sure someone more knowledgable will clear it up.  For now, I hope this is helpful.  Allah judges us by our actions, giving charity to those in need is certainly expected of all Muslims.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2006 at 4:25pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

Zakkat is a religious tax not general charity and its use is limited. Other than that there are no restrictions on who to give or aid with other types of donations. Where i live there is a feed the homeless program run by muslims, most homelss in my community are not muslim.

However looking around the world there are many poor muslim countires with no one to look after them except there muslim brothers so there is more benefit in helping and raising the muslim ummah who we are responsible for in the sight of allah beffore we can get a chance to help other people.

So there is no actual restrictions on who to help but we are responsible for the poor of our community and will be held to account and asked why we didnt help them when allah gave us wealth.

when muslims where still under a khalifah [islamic ruler] he was responsible for the welfare of all people in his land muslim and non muslim, but now there is no such khalifah in place and muslims are in a bad state, the motivation behind this is to help our Ummah [muslim people] get out of this state we are in.

The Inner Dimensions of Zakat

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
runner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2006 at 2:54pm
Thank you Rami, it is good that you have found a local charity.

I know that since 9/11 and governments tightening up on things to prevent money going to terrorist organizations, many Muslims have had difficulties in what to do with their zakkat.

I wonder what additional kinds of solutions the membership has worked out to satisfactorily support charitable works in this new environment.

Edited by runner
Maryga View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maryga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2006 at 11:23pm

Kelsey

It is true unfortunately that many Muslims think that charity is only for Muslims. I agree with the information posted by other members above. Hopefully, when you come across ignorant Muslims withholding charity from non-Muslims you can clarify to them that their views are correct only to the extent of zakat.

There are some very good charitable organisations without any religious affiliation which Muslims can support and one notable amongst them is Medecins Sans Frontieres. Most of their workers are volunteers and they are truly dedicated and without any political affilitation too.

Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2006 at 10:36am

Kelsey,

The Prophet Mohamed(PBUH) said that the best charity is feeding a starving person. He also said that charity should be given first to your dependants, then your relatives, then your neighbors.

There is nothing in either of these sayings that specify that the starving person, relatives or neighbors should be Muslims, just needy.

However, as Brother Rami says, there are so many countries with a Muslim majority that have very little or no help that it is hard for most Muslims not to make them a priority. These people live in conditions of poverty that we as Westerners could never understand. They literally have no food or any means to get it. They do not have government agencies or welfare to help them. For many, charity from other Muslims is all they receive.

Edited by Mishmish
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic