IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Breastfeeding  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Breastfeeding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breastfeeding
    Posted: 02 March 2006 at 4:13am

As-salaam-alaykum,

Please does anyone have any advice on how to STOP breastfeeding. My daughter is coming up to 2 years old and she loves to still feed. If I tell her that the milk is finished she cries and cries. She will not take a bottle and I just don't know what to do. Is it correct that under islamic tradition, I have to stop when she is 2 years or can I feed a bit longer? Does anyone have any good advice?

Thank-you

semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2006 at 12:25pm

Assalamu alaikum,

Put soy souce or any other souce that look like blood around the nipples and add some salt to make even saltier or even bitter.

That what my wife did to our kids, alhamdulillah it worked.

Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2006 at 6:01pm

I wouldn't do what semar did

It is fine if you go a bit longer but wean your daughter off at the same time, limit her feeding and widen the time gaps. (This will lessen your production of milk) If your daughter will not take the bottle, then get one of those toddler cups, with sprout and two handles and also a non spilage one. Give her drinks that way - water, juice and milk. Also a good tip is to have it on a coffee table where she can reach and let her take it when she feels like it.

My cousin when she was a baby never took to the bottle, we tried but she just never wanted it, so she went straight to the cup and at night it was left in her bed close to her reach, so when she woke up thirsty she could just grab the cup and drink and not disturb her mum , If you have a non spilage cup, which you can get, works better at night.

I don't think its all that necessary to have a bottle when you can go to the cup, normally by the age of 2 they can hold a cup (much better with two handles) as they can hold the bottles by themselves already  

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2006 at 6:30pm

But it worked very well Angel, just one time my kids gived up. Now they are 7 and 9. When we told them how we did that recently, they said we are so funny and smart guy and they laugh.

Edited by semar
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2006 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by semar semar wrote:

But it worked very well Angel, just one time my kids gived up. Now they are 7 and 9. When we told them how we did that recently, they said we are so funny and smart guy and they laugh.

I know, probably one day i will try, who knows

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2006 at 7:05pm

Bismillah,

The La Leche League has extensive information on this topic.  To your question if it is allowed to breastfeed the baby longer than two years in Islaam:  Of course it is.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2006 at 5:17am

Assalamu alaikum, Sister Kane,

Whichever method you use to wean your daughter, keep in mind that a lot of what she craves from the breastfeeding is the closeness she experiences with you.  Try to increase these nice moments of closeness with her doing other activities such as reading together, colouring, playing and other activities that can be done with her cuddled on your lap.  By doing so she is less likely to miss that "me and mom" time together that the breastfeeding gave her.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2006 at 4:41am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

there is difference of opinion among scholars to the length of breastfeeding, but in hanafi madhab from Ayaat iv copied down and many other evidences, limit for a baby boy is two years while for baby girl its two n half

And the mothers are to suckle their infants for two years, for those who wish to complete the suckling�(Surah Baqarah 2:233)

�We have enjoined upon the human being to treat his parents kindly. His mother bore him with weakness upon weakness, and his weaning is in two years.� (Surah Luqman 31:14)

And We have enjoined on man doing of good to his parents; with trouble did his mother bear him and with trouble did she bring him forth; and the bearing of him and the weaning of him was thirty months; until when he attains his maturity and reaches forty years, he says: My Lord! grant me that I may give thanks for Thy favor which Thou hast bestowed on me and on my parents, and that I may do good which pleases Thee and do good to me in respect of my offspring; surely I turn to Thee, and surely I am of those who submit.
(46:15)

wassalam

Edited by fatima
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic