IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cute Comic Strips.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cute Comic Strips.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M E X I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2006 at 11:39pm

as'salam alaykum wara7matu Allah wa barakatuh...

I read the story twice bcz i don't know exactly wheres the sense in that, first of all It is totally clear that this girl doesn't live in a good Islamic environment, just check it out the way how her mother talks, and also she is not a clean girl or whose put her things in orden.

If her parents were good Muslims, they would not be looking for a husband in that so absurd way as this comic shows but in some others terms. Honestly I don't think this "comic" can be an example for teenage girls .. "a good muslim girl lives in a box" subhana'allah how can we teach this? we are just fomenting the clasic and wrong idea about opressives muslimahs and submitted women.. insha'allah khair..

May Allah guide us for the right path ameen.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2006 at 5:17am

Mexi, are you a guy?

I think you are missing the point too

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2006 at 7:47am

Perhaps we should use these cartoons to spur the conversation of what do Muslim teenagers in the West feel and what struggles do they face.

When I read the cartoon, I see the doubts and growing pains of my teenage years.  I was not muslim.  But, all girls on a certain level have the same dreams and doubts about marriage, family and friends.

What challenges would face a muslim girl in a secular American/Western school?  Especially a girl who was brave and obedient enough to wear her hijab?

Noor is obviously still in high school, marriage especially if she was not expecting it, would be a scary prospect. 

Her mother's words to her....how many times ladies have we heard our mothers tell us to clean up and how spoiled we are compared to them.  How many times did they hear it from their mothers?

And living in a box.  Cannot muslims also be victims of misperceptions of their own religions?  Cannot muslims not understand the Sunnah?  Certainly its happened in Middle Eastern countries, where groups have locked up their women and ignored the teachings of the prophet in regards to them?  I say its entirely possible for young impressionable teenage girls to all gain misconceptions.  Some would have immigrant parents from cultures like in Jenni's post on Pakistan.  Some would have revert parents and western extended families. 

They would see movies like "Not Without My Daughter" on Lifetime TV and media coverage on the plight of the women under the Taliban.

These are the pitfalls of teenage muslim girls in the West.  Should the two artists wear a gag and not express the things that affect them and there sisters?  Just because you judge they are not living and islamic life, does that make it so.  What should be done to improve the plight of these young girls?

Living in a box is a fear of many young women when it comes to marriage.  You hope you haven't found that abuser, you pray your husband appreciates your skills, talents and values.  But, the ugly truth in any faith is there are many of us that do not find that security.  Its a fear I think every woman has deep inside when looking at marriage.

So, now that the cartoons about Noor have stirred the debate, what are we going to do about it?

M E X I View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M E X I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2006 at 11:46am

as'salam alaykum wara7matu Allah wa barakatuh...

My dear Sister my intention are not to debate your point of view, actually i just expressed mine, honestly i didn't like it.. maybe we can find better ways for to show and teach all those misconpceptions even amongst muslims.. You are right about all the things you said above, but also doesn't mean that this is the way.

My sister i am not judging if i said they are not living an islamic life is just what this cartoon shows us, honestly i didn't hear my mother talking like that or i don't remember to have heard her speaking like that using so coarse words, but yes certainly it exists.

I totally agree that born Muslims might have even worse erroneous concepts than reverts; I neither can deny it, nor am denying it, I agree with your point of view, But what I wanted to indicate doing emphasis, it is that precisely for all these bad concepts around us as Muslims must find better ways to teach our deen.

The comic is good and funny as well.. may Allah reward that person who made it and her/his intentions ameen.

Angel i am not a guy, i am not losing the point i am just giving and pointing another side.. barakallahu feekun..

Thank you sister Angela for your intentions as well.. may Allah bless you and guide us all ameen.

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2006 at 12:54pm

You're welcome Mexi,

I worked for a facility for troubled children.  Most of the girls I worked with were 12-18 year olds that were most of the time victims of abuse.  But, that is an age group that is most vulnerable to influence and fragile enough to break.

We western non muslims are victims of oppression, our daughters worry about their bodies and suffering from anorexia, bulemia and depression because of their low self esteem. 

I can easily see that if Muslimah mothers don't take the time to teach their daughters the worth given them by Allah through Muhammed (pbuh), that they too would suffer from doubts of a different nature. 

M E X I View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M E X I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2006 at 1:22pm

Thank you very much my dear sis...

Yes, you are right again masha'allah, Muslimahs mothers should teach the right way of our deen to their daughters, and this is what i wanted to point about, if a teenage girl is guided by ther straight path she hardly can fall into weird thoughts and get wrong misconceptions about her religion, And to anticipate these mistakes the mothers, sisters, we have to teach in a correct and guide them in the best way.. insha'allah we can do it sooner or later..

Masha'allah sister nice job, may Allah help us and guide us all, give us strength to deal with all these problems that western muslims face and give us the best today and hereafter ameen.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2006 at 4:34am
Originally posted by M E X I M E X I wrote:

Angel i am not a guy, i am not losing the point i am just giving and pointing another side.. barakallahu feekun..

Ooops

sorry

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic