IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My brother left islam because....  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My brother left islam because....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmashaAllah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My brother left islam because....
    Posted: 27 February 2006 at 6:51pm
Asalaam wa Alekium brothers. As I look around I see that there are many women converting into Islam. Many of these women are African American. I want to know why is it so hard for converts to get married and why is it extremely hard for brothers to marry convert African American women. For example an African American brother came to the masjid looking for an African American wife. This brother was a descent brother, spoke Quranic Arabic, own his own physical therapy business a well to do man. The Imam at our masjid did all he could to get the brother married off to an Arabic girl, telling the brother no African American sisters came foward wanting marriage. After he gave thought into marrying an Arab girl, she told him she was not interested because he wasn't Arab. Now my brother left islam for the Nation of islam because he said he was tired of the Arab and Pakistani's racism. First, what should I do to get him to come back to islam, and second when you look at an African American woman what comes to mind? If there was an African American women next to a white blue eyed woman which one would you choose and why? Please someone answer my post.

JazakAllah Khair for answering
Salam wa Alekium
Megatron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2006 at 11:23pm

Salam Ms. MashaAllah,

I'm not African american and I'm not Arab or Pakistani, however, I know from personal experience as well as hearing stories from friends that Pakistanis and Arabs tend to stay amongst their own kind. 

I don't think it's racism, but Pakistani and Arab people want to be with someone with a similar culture

This is going to be a long post so here goes:  Muslims born into a religion are also born into a culture.  They spend their entire lives in this environment that is fostered by their culture and religion.  Put stress on the world culture.  It's plain scary when they are supposed to leave this culture that they are so familiar with when they marry who is from a different culture.

I myself am a convert and I rejected the ideas given to me when I grew up.  I have no culture.  My culture is Islam and I found it hard to understand why a Pakistani, or Arab women would be hesitant to marry me.  However, it dawned on me that if I do marry a woman who is so deeply entrenched in her culture, I'll be pulling her away from something familiar to her.  I won't get their Urdu or Arab jokes, I won't understand so many things about their culture 

People tend to be very conservative.  They don't want to go against the grain and so they continue marrying within their own community.  Some Pakistanis marry their first cousins...which I think is weird.  I have Egyptian friends who insist on marrying Egyptians only...not other Arabs.

I'm not offering an excuse just an explanation. 

I must agree that in some cases racism is the motivation for these rejections.  If someone is stupid enough to be racist, they are not worth being with in the first place. 

That being said, just because one girl rejects him doesn't give him the right to join a religion that most wouldn't call Islam.  That shows a weakness in character. 

Personally, I don't know what is going to happen to me.  I could be alone for the rest of my life theoretically, however, I'm not going to let that fact affect my beliefs.  Allah decides whatever He wants with people.  It's our duty as Muslims to accept Allah's decision and make the best of what we have.  There are millions of Muslims around the world that go hungry every night.  Does that mean they should leave their religion because Allah gave them a bad lot in life?

Those who persevere in hardship and obey Allah will be given a far greater reward in the hereafter anyway. 

I tend to ramble...sorry.

Edited by Megatron
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2006 at 12:34am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

say to him if you converted to islam becouse of the people then you left becouse of the people not islam, but if you converted to islam becouse of Allah why did you leave him when he hasnt left you?

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
msmashaAllah View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmashaAllah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2006 at 10:20am
Salaam wa Alekium, thanks for your reply. InshaAllah make dua that he comes back to islam and in the meantime, I will continue to pray and talk to him.

Salaam wa Alekium
-ArabianKnight- View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -ArabianKnight- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2006 at 4:01pm
I like blue eyes.. ....  or hazel..

But you see... my point is... That is my personal preference... it could also be somone elses personal preference....   

The guy is taking rejection awfully hard.. but it happens... Maybe it's racism.. maybe not - God Judges on intent right?
THere Is no god, BUT GOD
and Adam was his First Messenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2006 at 5:57am
Whoever comes to Allah, benefits himself; whoever leaves Allah harms himself, not Allah.
msmashaAllah View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmashaAllah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2006 at 12:43pm
That is true, honest and to the point. I thank you all whom have given advice.

semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2006 at 3:15pm

Assalamu alaikum,

I am not arabic or pakistani. To me preference to marry a person that have the same culture is perfectly fine.  Because marriage is not just temporary things, this life time. You have to deal with him/her everyday "forever". So the more similarities the easier to deal with. Even in the same race most successful couples have similar hobbies, characters, education and soon. Because this is one of the important recipe to be success in marriage, this doesn't mean that the is no successful mix marriages. But the percentage say so.

I am a married person, I marry a person that has the same race but different tribe, we have a Little bit different culture and habit. Even then sometime we have difficulties to compromise a certain things.

However, to me the point is culture not race. This means, mix-race marriages will be more common in the 3rd generation of immigrants. Because they have enough distance from their ancestor culture. They go to the same school system, grow in the same environment, have similar hobbies, they both like football (not soccer), baseball (not cricket) and so on.

Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic