IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Offensive Cartoon  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Offensive Cartoon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Offensive Cartoon
    Posted: 03 February 2006 at 1:19pm

I am extremely surprised that the offensive cartoon that made the headlines today has not been discussed.  What's the big deal?

My mother pointed out to me how people have denigrated the idea of Jesus many times and you rarely hear a peep out of anyone.  However, when the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) is depicted, the world goes into an uproar.

It is true that Muslims are more sensitive to depictions of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW).  I think they are like this because Islam means a lot to Muslims.  It's more than just a religion to us.  It means the world to us.  Personally Islam has touched me deeply.  Praying and fasting is like the best drug out there.  It gives you a high that no drug or drink can give you.  It makes you happier than Zoloft, Paxil or Prozac.  Islam and the lifestyle it promotes makes millions around the world very happy.  No wonder Muslims get offended when their Prophet, a man who epitomized the Islamic lifestyle is denigrated.

I don't think Muslims are inherently violent and sensitive.  Being a Muslim changes you.  It makes you fall in love with Allah.  Muslims love Allah so much that it hurts them when anyone insults Allah's religion Islam or Allah's Prophet Muhammad (SAW).

That's my take on it...I could be wrong :|

Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2006 at 10:53pm

Assalamu Alaikum

Brother Megatron, it definitely appears that Muslims are more sensitive regarding insults hurled at their faith.  They accuse us of 'over reacting.'  However, I think part of the world perception of Muslims� reactions towards incidents of malice aimed at their faith is because the world perception is generated within a context of religion in general.  That is, the way Muslims react is compared to the way Christians and Jews react to such things.  Since Christians and Jews rarely make a peep when such malice is hurled toward their faith, it makes the outcries of Muslims appear to be that much grander.  However, the truth of the matter is that the reaction of Muslims is healthy as long as it doesn�t lead to acts which bring harm to innocent individuals.  We react with loud cries if someone does malice to our friends or family, so how can we not react even more loudly when someone does that toward our Creator?

I had no desire to bring up this issue, and maybe others feel the same, because it really is senseless to discuss this.  I don�t think there is anything to be debated.  The man that did this was wrong.  Inshallah, no innocent blood will be spilt over this matter.

Allah Hafiz

Sister Khadija 

Edited by Khadija1021
Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2006 at 4:08am

Bismillah,

Ameen, Sister Khadijah. 

Thanks for your passion on the subject, Mega!

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2006 at 5:55am

Megtron, it's being discussed more on other forums.  I'm so outraged (and that doesn't quite express my emotion) that it's best for me not to comment on the issue, especially since nobody here works for the Danish newspaper.  Alhamdulila, Allah spared me from seeing such blasphemy.  If these people do not sincerely repent to Allah before death, then his la'nat is on them in this life and the hereafter. 

Salaam

Mohammed View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mohammed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2006 at 9:06am
As an ex-muslim, now resigned to enjoy life, I must say, the cartoons did not offend me in anyway, if you are truly a beleiver, you would let this issue pass you by,like a butterfly, no harm done, but as we see each and every day, more and more "supposed" muslim, want death and beheading, even though Mohammed say nothing of showing his image, only haddith...This is all bull.....To be a moderate, western muslim, you must forst embrace your host country, never try to impose your beliefs,this will unduly lead to failure, if you cannot live your life by your own beliefs, then god trusting, you must vacate your seat and find another, .This religion must be based on beliefs, not presumption on the behalf of other cultures,it will never work, it will only go to help bring an uprising in distrust and hatred,but you all know this of course, so why do I ramble, because I can, it is free speech, something I have wanted for 60 yrs, but never got in my old country, that is why I am an ex-muslim...I now respect where and what I am, so do my friends,......Maybe one day, you too can learn from this.....Salamm...
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2006 at 11:35am

As Salamu Alaikum

These drawings cannot tarnish Islam, nor the Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) nor the Muslims.

Throughout history, Muslims have being the victims of such campaigns and Islam and the Muslims always somehow emerge stronger and unscathed.

Wa Alaikum Salam

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2006 at 1:30pm

As'Salaamu Alaikum,

I for one cannot say that I'm "outraged" but I can say that I find these posting of these cartoons as unacceptable behavior on the part of the media. When I read the articles in regards to this, the Danish media response (which is usually said by their spokesman/woman) was that this was "freedom of the press."

However the counter arguement should be that in light of such freedoms one must be careful and not to make subjective comments which in themselves would restrict the freedoms of others. The posting of these foolish cartoons are not freedom, but a broad sweeping opinion held by those ignorant of Islam.

It is eveident because the Danbish spokesman said that "this is an accurate depiction of radical Islam who are extreme in their dogma and who show their extremisties by veiling their women also." It is apparent that the media is ignorant therefore the restraint should come from the Muslims. We all know that most of the world is ignorant of Islam.

No matter how many times we can come up with the argument on what Islam stands for in this world negativity superceeds positive reinforcement. The best thing Muslims should do is to pray and show restraint. The day of reckoning will come where very individual will have to answer for what they've done.

I hope the brothers in Pakistan and in the Palestine areas to show restraint to Jews and Christians who had nothing to do with the media. Also I pray that those who call themselves "defenders of the faith" to show sometype of restraint. Godwilling.

Megatron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2006 at 9:54pm

Mohammad,

Of course you're not offended by the cartoon because you're an ex-muslim.  If not embracing Islam is "enjoying life", then I feel very sorry for you.  Enjoy drinking alcohol, eating filthy pork products or whatever debaucherous act you enjoy.  I've been down that road before and it's an empty life.  Maybe you should change your name too if Islam is so bad. 

Aside from that, the portrayal of Muhammad PBUH(not Mohammad...Mohammad is the transliteration of British colonialists who could not pronounce the name properly and is an insult)...Muslims do not want that portrayal because they want to prevent what has happened with Christianity.  I can guarantee you if Muhammad PBUH was portrayed, there would be a faction of people who would worship him.  Thankfully, depictions of the Prophet were suppressed and we learn from his teachings and his conduct instead of stressing his appearance. 

I think I can say that those of us Muslims who like our faith would sacrifice our lives to protect the Prophet if we were alive during the Prophet's time.  If I'm willing to die for someone, you're damned right I'd be offended if that someone was portrayed in a negative way.

To imply that because a Muslim lives in a non-Muslim country, he/she is supposed to sit idly while their beliefs are insulted is ludicrous.  We make up the societies we live in and our entitled to raise complaints when we feel it is correct.

Besides we're growing at such fast rate that our political muscle will just get stronger and stronger so the world is going to have to accept our beliefs.

Edited by Megatron
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
  Share Topic