IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Danish drawings  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Danish drawings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrangel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Danish drawings
    Posted: 01 February 2006 at 12:45am

Hi, since I live in Denmark I like to understand why muslims all of a sudden has started to hate everything connected with Denmark. I understand it has got something to do with the drawings a Danish paper published of the prophet Mohammed. But from an Islam context what exactly the the Danish paper do that is so wrong?

I can only assume that the hatred is caused by the paper breaking an Islam rule. But I am pretty sure that there is an Islam rule that says that Islam rules only applies to Islam people.

So my questions are

Is the hatred caused by breaking an Islam rule?

If so, what happened to the rule that says Islam rules applies to Islam people. Not to non-Islam people?

Or is it something completely different?

Edited by Wrangel
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 3:15am

Bismillah

Just because the rule applies to Muslims, it does not mean that every non-Muslim should feel free going round and degrading Islam or mocking at Muslims. True Muslims take their religion very seriously... there are no Cupids, comics, jedis or yodas.

MOCKBA
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 8:24am

There are Christians that get offended when Jesus is depicted in a degrading and mocking way.   I saw these comics on a blogger sight.  Many of them were horrible, in poor taste and degrading.  It is forbidden in Islam to depict the Prophet.  So, to not only draw him in cartoon, but to do so in a mocking and insulting manner is just plain wrong.  The Danish paper should have had more respect for the 2 billion Muslims out there.  I sincerely hope the man who contracted the pictures is fired and never allowed to work for another paper.

And I'm CHRISTIAN.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 8:35am

Assalamu alaikum,

I met with my local group of Muslim Sisters yesterday.  This topic was foremost in their minds.  Being a 'westerner' who grew up with the concept of free speech and this society's 'do as you please' attitude, I was humbled and awed at their reaction to the cartoons, awed at the depth of their dismay and disgust over the cartoons and humbled by their incredibly intense love of our Prophet (peace be upon him).

As a Muslim revert, I have had to learn to love Muhammad (peace be upon him).  With each bit I learn about his life, his character, his devotion to Allah, I learn to love him more.  I pray that someday I will love him as deeply and devotedly as my Sisters do, insha'allah.

Perhaps one really needs to see this 'gut level' reaction of born Muslims to understand the intense reaction to the mocking of the Prophet of Islam.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Wrangel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrangel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 8:47am

Thanks you Mockba. So its not about breaking some specific rule. I am happy that was made clear.

I can understand why people might find the drawings insulting, though I don't share their level of annoyment personally. I fully agree that nobody should feel free going round and degrading Islam or mocking at Muslims.

I hope this also goes for Danish people as well, since they have got nothing to do with these drawings whatsoever.

Edit add. Never saw the additional posts. Many thanks for these as well.

Edited by Wrangel
Wrangel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrangel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 3:07pm

Yesterday the head of muslim umbrella organization, Ahmad Abu Laban, told Danish TV2 that he would do his very best to convince the muslim world to stop the boycott. He was looking forward to participate in a peace delegation, that would tour the Middle East.

The very same day he was interviewed on Al Jazeera and said the contrary. (My translation below)

If the muslim countries decide to boycott, and if muslim citizens feel, it is their duty to defend the prophet, then its something we are happy about.

I also read in the paper today that the Dutch newspaper de Volkskrant re-published some of the drawings. Without getting many reactions to this. This paper also published some of the drawings back in November without many reactions.

You might be interested to learn that the drawings was published several months ago. So the reaction has been far from immediate. Things did not fire up until the Danish muslim community leadership had toured the middle east with a stack of drawings. The stack of drawings contained, not only the 12 drawings published by the Danish paper. But also additional drawings found elsewhere.

The conclusion I draw is that nobody in Denmark has not been very fortunate with its muslim leadership.

Edited by Wrangel
AhmedNagi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmedNagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 10:39pm

Al Salamu alaykum Wa Rahmatu Allahi Wa Barakatuh,

Freedom of speech is a right for everyone. Anyone has the right to disagree with Islam and have their point of view. It is ultimately a personal opinion and everyone will have to deal with the consequences of their opinions sooner or later. But it is unacceptable to mock or insult a religious figure respected and followed by a number of people. Actually it is plain rude and unacceptable to mock or insult anyone, whether this person is a renown figure or a normal person. Mocking people is not freedom of speech, it is disrespect. It is not funny to joke about Mohammed. Jesus or the Holocaust.

If anyone wants to express their views about Mohammed in a polite and debatable manner, they are most welcome, and they can be answered back in order to clarify other people's points of view. Actually it might be the reason why others that don't know much about Mohammed and Islam might get to know better. But there is no benefit from mocking him except offending Muslims. 

PS: The reaction might not have been immediate because we never heard about these cartoons until recently and as soon as we did, we took action.

Edited by AhmedNagi
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 11:47pm

Bismillah

The answer of the so-called "civilised" world to Muslims is the re-printing of the cartoons in many more newspapers across the borders of Denmark. 

When a mosquito bites a Jew the whole world owes an apology and must stop and show empathy in awe. When Muslims are killed and insulted en masse, the insult should be made louder and killing should spread wider.

Such are the rules of today's "freedom" and "democracy" where filthy homosexuals and prostitutes have more rights than believing Muslims.

"No reason have we why we should not put our trust on Allah. Indeed He Has guided us to the Ways we (follow). We shall certainly bear with patience all the hurt you may cause us. For those who put their trust should put their trust on Allah." (Quran 14:12)

MOCKBA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
  Share Topic