IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Justice and Mercy  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Justice and Mercy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Justice and Mercy
    Posted: 31 January 2006 at 8:43am

Helow everyone,

What I want to know is: How can it be just or merciful to exploit people for financial gain?

How is it merciful to take advantage of somene for a finacial reward?

Isn't it this exploitation that is at the root of so much troble?

Tim in Britain
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 9:22am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

It seem you are alking about riba or Interest which is using the wealth of a person to gain more wealth without giving the person his rightful share of the profit.

or basicly using peoples hard earned money to make money for your self and not giving them any share of the profit.

This is haram (sinful) in islam.
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Tim Evans View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 9:38am
Thanks for that Rami but what I meant was:  If a person works for another person for a day, a week or a year or whatever, that employer makes a profit from that other persons work. Why should they not share the benefits equally in some way. Why should an employer make extra money?
Tim in Britain
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 11:48am

Bismillah,

An employer has invested their time and money to build a business whereas an employee does not share in these worries.  If the business fails, the employee may lose a job, but the employer loses his investment monies and possibly will be in debt and have to find a job as an employee with someone else just to pay the debt back.

If people want to make a joint business venture, then they will share all of these risks and benefits together.  They can also apportion the money earned according to the money invested and/or effort put in.

Unfortunately, most people with power and money want to keep it for themselves and just exploit their employees who have no start up money but have lots of hard work to put in.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Tim Evans View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 12:06pm

Thanks Herjhad,

But isn't it unjust to give less back to the person less than that person has put into the project?

I have read parts of the Holy Quran and havn't been able to find what it says about this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tim in Britain
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 12:15pm

A person should be justly paid for their work.  If you find yourself unpaid and overworked.  Then its best to find another job.  But, I once worked hard on a project and brought my boss a $3,000 contract to his hotel.  My $7.50 an hour did not change, why, because I did the job he hired me to do.  If I had managed another $7,000 he had promised health insurance to the 6 of us that worked for him. 

Sometimes we put alot into things, but there is still more to do before we can see a benefit.

My current coworker makes more than me in 20 hours, than I do with overtime...but she's been here 14 years, I've been here 6 months.

Sometimes, what you think you are worth and what you're actually worth are two different things.

But, those are real world answers, I cannot give you Ayat or Hadith to help.  Sorry.

Tim Evans View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 12:52pm

Thanks Angela,

I understand how easely people (self included) can have jealousy about others or resentment about not being valued, but what I am trying to get at is this.  Is it just to take more from people than you give back?  Just because some people are a bit smarter or craftier than others should not be permission to exploit them.  I have been looing for any religious tradition that can explain this. 

Tim in Britain
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 1:01pm

No, it is not just.....

As a Mormon we believe in Tithing, giving back in charity.  So do Muslims, in Zakat.

We also believe in treating our fellow man with honesty and justice. 

Matter of fact, its part of the interview to go to the temple.  "Are you honest in your dealings with others?"

Islam believes this too.

For Hadiths and Ayat searches, here is a really good site.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic