IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - plastic surgery/womens only subject  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

plastic surgery/womens only subject

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 12:16am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

I agree with the fatwa. In this case as a married person I think if you are very self consious about something  and it is affecting how you feel with your husband than it is allowed. Many women are unhappy about thier bodies or breasts after having children and this affects the intimacy level. Also having nice teeth that look clean really makes the whole face look brighter and crooked yellow teeth are very noticeable and people stare at them. Peace

Jenni i dont know if you noticed it but you have just taken your own opinion as the basis for making something permisable in Islam. The basis for something being allowed is the Quran and Sunnah, simply becouse you see somethings have some benefit in them it does not mean there is no harm. For example Allah says in the Quran in alcohol you will find benefit but the harm outweighs the good, since our perception of harm is limited to what we see as mere humans a muslim relies on Allah and his prophet to tell him what is harfull for him.

There is a legal principle in islam Unless something is scepcificly said to be haram it should be taken as being permisable as stating what is haram and halal is only for allah. so now a muslim has a duty to see if allah has said anything about such matters.

117�They (all those who worship others than Allaah) invoke nothing but female deities besides Him (Allaah), and they invoke nothing but Shaytaan (Satan), a persistent rebel!

118. Allaah cursed him. And he [Shaytaan (Satan)] said: �I will take an appointed portion of your slaves.

119. �Verily, I will mislead them, and surely, I will arouse in them false desires; and certainly, I will order them to slit the ears of cattle, and indeed I will order them to change the nature created by Allaah�

[al-Nisa� 4:117-119]

Is Cosmetic Surgery Allowed?
Answered by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari

Is cosmetic surgery allowed?

In the name of Allah Most Merciful, Most Compassionate,

Mutilation of one�s body has been clearly prohibited in Islam. Allah Almighty mentions in Surah al-Nisa the words of Shaytan, when he said:

�I will mislead them and I will order them to slit the ears of cattle, and to deface the (fair) natural creation of Allah.� (4: 119).

To deface the fair nature created by Allah, both physically and spiritually, is what Shaytan likes and orders to practise.

In a Hadith it is stated:

�Abdullah ibn Mas�ud (Allah be pleased with him) said: �Allah�s curse is on those women who practise tattooing and get themselves tattooed, and those who remove hair from their faces, and those who make space between their teeth artificially to beautify themselves. They are such that they change the nature and features created by Allah. Allah�s Messenger (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) also cursed such women� [Recorded by Imam al-Bukhari and Imam Muslim in their respective Sahih collections]

In view of the above, the Fuqaha have declared that all types of mutilation to one�s body is unlawful (haram) unless when Shari�ah permits to do so, such as: circumcision, trimming the hair from the body, cutting the nails, etc� or that which is considered an adornment for the body, such as: piercing the ears or the nose, etc.

Cosmetic surgery for the purpose of beautifying oneself is also (in the light of the above) impermissible. The body given to us by our creator is a trust (amanah), thus it is unlawful to tamper with it in any way. If one does so, then he will be committing the sin of �changing the nature created by Allah (taghyeer khalq Allah).

However, if there is a genuine need, as in a particular organ of the body is severely deformed, e.g. the nose is damaged or a child is born with six fingers, etc�, then to perform cosmetic surgery will become permissible.

Imam Abu Dawud, Imam Nasa�i and Imam Tirmizi (Allah have mercy on them) relate in their respective Sunan collections, that a Companion (sahabi) by the name of Arfajah ibn Aswad (Allah be pleased with him) had his nose damaged in the battle of kulab. He replaced it first with silver, and then with a nose made of gold, with the order and consent of the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam).

It is stated in al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya:

�If one intends to cut off an extra finger, it will be permissible as long as there is no fear of perishing. (4 /114).

It should be also remarked here, that if cosmetic surgery was carried out due to a genuine reason, then the ablution (wudu) and obligatory bath (ghusl) will be valid by letting the water flow on the surgical area, even though the water does not reach the actual body (See: Radd al-Muhtar, 1/104).

In conclusion, cosmetic and plastic surgery for the purpose of beautifying and adornment is impermissible. However, if there is a genuine need due to something abnormal, then there is a dispensation of permissibility.

And Allah knows best
Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari, UK

[al-Nisa� 4:117-119]

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
umsami View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umsami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 6:03am

Assalamu Alaikum:

I would say that all are allowed except the chemical peel and teeth whitening (even though I want teeth whitening :))... but let's remember allowed vs. recommended are two different things.

In America, we are so desensitized to the truly real risks of surgery (any surgery) by all of the makeover shows, Dr. 90210, etc.  Anytime you undergo surgery you risk the very real possibility of dying.  So, knowing that, I would ask myself if having lifted breasts was more important than being there for my kids or whatever. 

I am very blessed to have a husband who is totally against all of that and says that nothing is more beautiful than somebody the way Allah(swt) made them.  He hates it when I wear make-up or dye my hair because he says I'm so much more beautiful without that stuff.

Peace.

Edited by umsami
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 7:43am
Rami-I was agreeing with the fatwa that ak_f_m noted. IT sounded right. If you think it is wrong that tell him not me as it is not my opinion. And in my case I am talking about a woman feeling that she is deformed, as in the case of severely large breasts or that her breasts were ruined after having children. I am not saying she should do it to please her husband or anything else. I was asking a question and someone gave a fatwa that seemed to make sence. I guess that is the Promblem  WITH FATWAS!!!
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 9:22am
The FAtwas were given by a committee of the major scholars headed by Dr. Yusuf Qardawi.

So I turst them more then people here on IC .
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 1:34pm

Bismillah,

Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

Salaam sisters, I just wanted to get your opinions on some things. Do you think the following things are permissible or not?

1. Breast reduction for one with very large breasts. Only if it is causing pain that won't decrease otherwise.

2. Breast lift for women that have had breasts drastically changed by pregnancy and breastfeeding. No.

3. Teeth whitening Why not?

4. Braces on the teeth when you are an adult for cosmetic reasons and not for medical reasons. Why not?

5. Chemical face peel to give the skin a fresh look and reduce wrinkles. Why not?

Thanks for your input!

Jenni, I believe you asked for our opinions, so these are mine in pink.

Why not the cosmetic surgery?  My personal OPINION is that surgery is a very serious undertaking and people die in surgery or receive unlooked for malformations and it shouldn't be done for cosmetic reasons alone  unless the person is significantly deformed and dysfunctional because of the need for the surgery.

Surgery for having a breast removed from cancer I see differently.  That person has suffered enormously and should weigh the benefits to her of then having cosmetic surgery to add another breast surgery to her plate.

But teeth whitening, braces, et cetera are not life threatening, so why shouldn't the person do that if they feel comfortable with the procedures and don't feel bad about spending that much money on personal appearance.

But isn't it true that if your teeth are crooked that usually your bite is off and you would benefit in many ways by having better aligned teeth?

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 5:32pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

Jenni i am sorry i somehow missed your opening words, "i agree with the fatwah" it may be due the shortness of the sentence and the fullstop Allahu alam. My reply was to everything else you said with out having seen that line.

i am sorry sister.
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic