IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question about 22:27  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about 22:27

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2016 at 4:14am
Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

You should be laughing, if the expression "it is raining cats and dogs" is understood by society to mean lots of rain. ...

Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

Oh, really! What makes you think that? If the idioms of a language are taken literally, as you are doing it, its then when people would laugh on such an understanding and not otherwise. Consider this example to refute your comment about the rain.

How does this refute my comment?
On the very same site the following definition is provided:

raining cats and dogs
to be raining in great amounts It was raining cats and dogs by the time I got home.
See also: and, cat, dog, rain

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/Raining+cats+and+dogs

The term "raining cats and dogs" means it's raining a lot, so of course if you say "it's raining cats and dogs" and I assume you are being literal, you have every right to laugh since in society people believe the term to mean lots of rain.

I ask you now to show me evidence that in 7th century Arabia, "every mounted" was not a reference to every mounted animal. Go ahead.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2016 at 1:43am
Quote Ahmad:

...I just can't comment on it.

No surprise: Airmano

Edited by airmano - 19 February 2016 at 1:43am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2016 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

If he means it literally, yes you should laugh.
Done.
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

Just as much as anyone else has the right to laugh at those who claim that the Quran is true in a literal sense.
Very general (kind of sweeping) statement. I just can't comment on it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2016 at 11:14pm

You should be laughing, if the expression "it is raining cats and dogs" is understood by society to mean lots of rain. ...
Oh, really! What makes you think that? If the idioms of a language are taken literally, as you are doing it, its then when people would laugh on such an understanding and not otherwise. Consider this example to refute your comment about the rain.

Edited by AhmadJoyia - 18 February 2016 at 11:16pm
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2016 at 7:55pm

Why not? Did the Quran's author not say "every mounted"? Did he assume that people only ride camels and horses and donkeys and elephants (btw how many people perform Haji on elephants)?

If I say 'Its been raining cats and dogs since morning' and a person like you contradicts me on the basis of my inability to show even a single cat or dog that it rained, do you think I should not laugh at him?

You should be laughing, if the expression "it is raining cats and dogs" is understood by society to mean lots of rain.

Can you provide evidence that to 7th century Arab society, "every mounted" was NOT a reference to every mounted animal? Please show it.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2016 at 3:36pm
Quote Ahmad:
If I say 'Its been raining cats and dogs since morning' and a person like you contradicts me on the basis of my inability to show even a single cat or dog that it rained, do you think I should not laugh at him?
If he means it literally, yes you should laugh.
Just as much as anyone else has the right to laugh at those who claim that the Quran is true in a literal sense.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 17 February 2016 at 4:32pm
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2016 at 11:55am

Why not? Did the Quran's author not say "every mounted"? Did he assume that people only ride camels and horses and donkeys and elephants (btw how many people perform Haji on elephants)?
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2016 at 5:54am
Salaam alaikum.

Very funny logic indeed. Although I don't support this understanding of yours at all.

Anyhow, how can you suggest that if it did not happen as yet implies 'would never' happen in future? What if zellions of years later, the evolution make changes to these animals such that enable them to make such a journey? How can you rule out this possibility?

Please show me a precedent for this happening
Also, what makes you think that in a zillion years, people will be traveling across an entire continent on a yak or water buffalo?
They don't even do so today anymore.

Similarly, which mountain pass you think is beyond human habitat?

The Transantarctic mountain range, which is one of the largest in the world, exists on a continent where it is too cold for humans to live. The only people living on some very small parts of that continent are small groups of explorers to make research expeditions.

"Penguins, seals, and sea birds live along the Ross Sea coastline in Victoria Land, while life in the interior of the Transantarctic Range is limited to bacteria,[1] lichens, algae, and fungi. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transantarctic_Mountains
If not even penguins and seals can survive there, what makes you think that people can?

Even so, how can you rule out this possibility that it would not be so, in future as well? Just imagine a situation in which happening of apocalyptic flooding on present day dry land, push humans to live at those places just for their survival. The answers to such scenarios is impossible to 'rule out' with any degree of certainty, it is for this reason, that your literal method in looking at this verse is, at best, not logical.

If there were to be "apocalyptic flooding" on dry land that forced people to live high in the mountains, traveling to Mecca from these places via the animals we earlier discussed would be even more impossible!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic