IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for knowledge on Islamanisim  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for knowledge on Islamanisim

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balliol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for knowledge on Islamanisim
    Posted: 28 December 2015 at 3:47pm
I am British which is not important but I need to set out what I am. Recently I took the decision to attempt to understand the world of Islam and why it appears to be in ferment. I did so because I believe that nothing in this world happens without a reason. I wanted to know why this ferment is occurring.

The first book I found described the development and some of the history of Islam and within it I read that when Muhammad died his position, if that's the correct term to use, Was followed by what were described by four "rightly guided"caliphs whose rule covered the period 632 to 661. I then read that three of these were assassinated which appeared to me to be rather savage bringing Islam into disrepute.

I apologise if anything I have written above offends anyone and if it does please explain to me why.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2015 at 7:41am
Balliol, welcome. Perhaps it is a result of the political destabilization of Muslim nation states in the middle east, that has focused indirect attention on the religion of its citizens.   
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2016 at 10:24am
To know Islam read Quran Allah in ch 5 v 32 of Quran says if you kill a human being unless for murder or for mischief in the land means as if you have killed whole humanity if u save an innocent human being means as if you have saved whole humanity
Balliol View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balliol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2016 at 1:38am
I have started to read "Muslim" history but the great difficulty is to ensure that what I read is neutral in that many books attempt to show the Muslim religion in one way while others take an opposing view so I would welcome suggested reading.
Ringer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 8:43pm
Almost nothing is without bias, especially in something as important as a religion, perhaps even a controversial religion.

A possibly more effective tack is to read widely and work to understand the bias of each author so that you can factor that into your understanding of what to accept, what to reject, and what to consider tentative in the materials you read.

A Muslim scholar is going to write from the point of view, and the bias, of the faithful.

Someone antagonistic to Islam is going to offer a different point of view and different biases.

Be sure to check the quotes and references yourself when they disagree.

I have found both types of sources invaluable in allowing me to understand the arguments.

You also may find that you are able to use your own mind and good logic to work through towards an accurate understanding.
--
Ringer
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 2:24am
Originally posted by Balliol Balliol wrote:

I am British which is not important but I need to set out what I am. Recently I took the decision to attempt to understand the world of Islam and why it appears to be in ferment. I did so because I believe that nothing in this world happens without a reason. I wanted to know why this ferment is occurring.

The first book I found described the development and some of the history of Islam and within it I read that when Muhammad died his position, if that's the correct term to use, Was followed by what were described by four "rightly guided"caliphs whose rule covered the period 632 to 661. I then read that three of these were assassinated which appeared to me to be rather savage bringing Islam into disrepute.

I apologise if anything I have written above offends anyone and if it does please explain to me why.

To get from a religiously focused society to where we are now took us Brits many centuries, many heritics being burnt alive, the occaisional King being beheaded, a full scale civil war, many many other wars, civil strike and riots to be extremely brief.

Given that we seem to expect that any culture not fully up to speed on our 21st century way of thinking is alien might it be a little arrogant of us to be asking such a question?

Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 12:46pm
Very good advice from Ringer.  This is what I did also.  Read from many sources, taking into consideration the possible bias from each source. 
It is necessary to do lots of checking and cross referencing in order to create a clearer picture.  Best always to use your own mind and reach your own conclusions and not rely wholly on what another might say.
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Balliol View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balliol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 12:13am
Words of wisdom from Ringer and a reminder that one needs to work at finding answers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic