IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muhammad (PBUH) is dead  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muhammad (PBUH) is dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muhammad (PBUH) is dead
    Posted: 19 December 2015 at 9:17pm
Muslims are careful to avoid the sin of "shirk", or associating partners with Allah. There is no god but Allah, they say; and the things that they give to Allah, including their prayers and their worship, they give only to Allah.

But what about the things that Allah gives to them, the most important of which are tenets of Islam and the rules by which Muslims should live? Do they believe that Allah has a "partner" in determining these rules?

Apparently yes, for most Muslims. Allah spoke to Muslims through the Quran, which is supposed to be a complete guide to their religion; but most Muslims supplement this guide with the hadith and sunnah, which are words and teachings of Muhammad. In effect, they make the hadith and sunnah "partner" texts to the Quran, which would imply that Muhammad was a partner to Allah.

Muslims say that the hadith and sunnah don't add to the Quran, they only help to explain it. However, this is often not the case. The Quran simply tells Muslims to pray, for instance, and then leaves them free to pray sincerely from their hearts, in their own words. (To me, this should be the best kind of prayer.) The sunnah imposes additional rules on prayer, telling them exactly what to pray and how to pray. These rules are not in the Quran.

Nonetheless, many Muslims say that they follow the hadith and sunnah because the Quran commands them to obey Muhammad.   However, as is often said, the Quran is very careful in its choice of words; and if you look closely you will see that you are commanded to follow the Messenger, not Muhammad. And how does one obey a messenger? By obeying his message, of course. And that is the Quran.

In response, many Muslims say that "the message" includes more than just the Quran, that everything Muhammad said and did was guided by Allah and was thus part of the "message". This seems to make Muhammad into some kind of mindless automaton who never had an original thought or opinion of his own. Besides, the hadith themselves show that it is not true:
"If I had not found it hard for my followers or the people, I would have ordered them to clean their teeth with Siwak for every prayer." - Sahih Bukhari, Book 11, Hadith 12
"Were I not afraid that it would be hard for my followers (or for the people), I would order them to pray `Isha prayer at this time." - Sahih Bukhari, Book 94, Hadith 14
Isn't it clear from the above that the prayer rituals are being decided by Muhammad, not by Allah? And if those rituals are an essential and permanent part of Islam, then how do you escape the conclusion that Muhammad is behaving as a partner to Allah in creating the rules of Islam?

According to the Quran, Allah is eternal, and so is His authority. Allah's words are preserved with meticulous care and accuracy in the Quran for eternity (particularly in contrast to the hadith!), precisely because they were addressed to all Muslims for eternity. Only Allah makes the rules, and He does not share that rule-making authority with anyone.

By contrast, Muhammad, peace be upon him, is dead; and therefore his authority, which was not the same kind of law-making authority as Allah's, ended with his death. His authority and his commands were never intended to apply beyond his contemporaries, which is why (unlike the Quran) no special effort was made to preserve or collect his words during his lifetime and preserve them for posterity. To suppose otherwise is to impute to him the same kind of authority as Allah -- and that, IMHO, is shirk.

That's how I see it anyway. And that's how a growing number of progressive Muslims see it.

You may wonder why I, a non-Muslim, should even care about this question. The answer is that IMHO it is mainly the hadith and sunnah that keep Islam locked in the 7th century and unable to adapt to modernity. No doubt many Muslims think that is a good thing. They don't want to be "contaminated" by modern ideas. (Ironically, they don't mind being contaminated by all the technological and scientific innovations that spring from modernity.)

Unfortunately for them, the world has progressed to a point where it is no longer possible for one "tribe" to wall itself off from the rest of the world and live in medieval isolation. Like it or not, Muslims are part of the global village. We need to get along together; and for that, Islam needs to adapt. If it doesn't bend, it will break -- and we'll all suffer the consequences.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2015 at 11:18pm
Excellent topic, indeed.
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Muslims are careful to avoid the sin of "shirk", or associating partners with Allah. There is no god but Allah, they say; and the things that they give to Allah, including their prayers and their worship, they give only to Allah.

But what about the things that Allah gives to them, the most important of which are tenets of Islam and the rules by which Muslims should live? Do they believe that Allah has a "partner" in determining these rules?
Simply worded, where Quran is the constitution in Islam, the Sunnah is the implementation of this constitution. Obeying as per the precise details of every ritual from Sunnah, takes an individual closer to Allah, and not to the Prophet.

Apparently yes, for most Muslims. Allah spoke to Muslims through the Quran, which is supposed to be a complete guide to their religion; but most Muslims supplement this guide with the hadith and sunnah, which are words and teachings of Muhammad. In effect, they make the hadith and sunnah "partner" texts to the Quran, which would imply that Muhammad was a partner to Allah.
Giving the fact that there vast variety of people among Muslims, which is true for many other religions, if some of the Muslims do it as you have suggested, doesn�t mean the majority of the Muslims. For every new situation due to emerging requirements of the changing times, in Islam, the rules for the precedence among sources of guidance are very clear. Unlike Christianity (I can�t comment upon various other religions) where Clergy dictates, the Muslim experts use these rules to give their opinion (Fatwa) only about any new situation. Although such opinions are quite impressive, however, they are never a binding on the community. It is up to an individual to follow this opinion or form up his own by consulting any other Scholar or doing little research by himself. But the important thing is, he must be honest in his quest and it is this what determines his �pass� or �fail� at the day of the Judgment, to which no one can escape.

Muslims say that the hadith and sunnah don't add to the Quran, they only help to explain it. However, this is often not the case. The Quran simply tells Muslims to pray, for instance, and then leaves them free to pray sincerely from their hearts, in their own words. (To me, this should be the best kind of prayer.) The sunnah imposes additional rules on prayer, telling them exactly what to pray and how to pray. These rules are not in the Quran.
I guess this relates to things that are �Faradh� or obligatory and those which are �Sunnah� or �Recommended�. Generally speaking, when Quran brings something obligatory, the Sunnah brings the recommended way to do it.

Nonetheless, many Muslims say that they follow the hadith and sunnah because the Quran commands them to obey Muhammad.   However, as is often said, the Quran is very careful in its choice of words; and if you look closely you will see that you are commanded to follow the Messenger, not Muhammad. And how does one obey a messenger? By obeying his message, of course. And that is the Quran.
This is good thinking that I must appreciate. However, remember that since the messenger was Muhammad, so who else can better understand the message and implement it the best way?

In response, many Muslims say that "the message" includes more than just the Quran, that everything Muhammad said and did was guided by Allah and was thus part of the "message".
This is where I tend to disagree with those who, you said, says this. Simply because there is only one source of Allah�s message and that is Quran. But of course the Prophet was the best person to explain this message to the people. So, one must distinguish between the obligatory part of the message and then the recommended path of Sunnah.

This seems to make Muhammad into some kind of mindless automaton who never had an original thought or opinion of his own. Besides, the hadith themselves show that it is not true:
"If I had not found it hard for my followers or the people, I would have ordered them to clean their teeth with Siwak for every prayer." - Sahih Bukhari, Book 11, Hadith 12
"Were I not afraid that it would be hard for my followers (or for the people), I would order them to pray `Isha prayer at this time." - Sahih Bukhari, Book 94, Hadith 14
Isn't it clear from the above that the prayer rituals are being decided by Muhammad, not by Allah? And if those rituals are an essential and permanent part of Islam, then how do you escape the conclusion that Muhammad is behaving as a partner to Allah in creating the rules of Islam?
You are right here to an extent only. Now that you understand that the Sunnah is the recommended path of doing the order, I hope this shall help you refine your views.

According to the Quran, Allah is eternal, and so is His authority. Allah's words are preserved with meticulous care and accuracy in the Quran for eternity (particularly in contrast to the hadith!), precisely because they were addressed to all Muslims for eternity. Only Allah makes the rules, and He does not share that rule-making authority with anyone.
True, however, now you see the difference between two sources.

By contrast, Muhammad, peace be upon him, is dead; and therefore his authority, which was not the same kind of law-making authority as Allah's, ended with his death. His authority and his commands were never intended to apply beyond his contemporaries, which is why (unlike the Quran) no special effort was made to preserve or collect his words during his lifetime and preserve them for posterity. To suppose otherwise is to impute to him the same kind of authority as Allah -- and that, IMHO, is shirk.
In general, you are right, but as I said, all his actions and sayings forms the guidance for us to remain on the right track. The second most important thing is the historical value of the Sunnah literature, though which the Muslims are able to defend their religion from the critical eyes of people like you. No offense intended.

That's how I see it anyway. And that's how a growing number of progressive Muslims see it.

You may wonder why I, a non-Muslim, should even care about this question. The answer is that IMHO it is mainly the hadith and sunnah that keep Islam locked in the 7th century and unable to adapt to modernity. No doubt many Muslims think that is a good thing. They don't want to be "contaminated" by modern ideas. (Ironically, they don't mind being contaminated by all the technological and scientific innovations that spring from modernity.)
Unfortunately for them, the world has progressed to a point where it is no longer possible for one "tribe" to wall itself off from the rest of the world and live in medieval isolation. Like it or not, Muslims are part of the global village. We need to get along together; and for that, Islam needs to adapt. If it doesn't bend, it will break -- and we'll all suffer the consequences.
The guidance and the historical value of Sunnah, as explained above, is different than the mindset that you are alluding to. I hope you may now distinguish the two.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2015 at 10:13am
Thanks for your reply, AhmadJoyia. We have family visiting us for the Christmas/New Years season, so I won't have a lot of time for online discussions in the next couple of weeks. I will respond in the next few days, however. Thanks for your patience.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2015 at 8:48am
Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

Giving the fact that there vast variety of people among Muslims, which is true for many other religions, if some of the Muslims do it as you have suggested, doesn�t mean the majority of the Muslims. For every new situation due to emerging requirements of the changing times, in Islam, the rules for the precedence among sources of guidance are very clear. Unlike Christianity (I can�t comment upon various other religions) where Clergy dictates, the Muslim experts use these rules to give their opinion (Fatwa) only about any new situation. Although such opinions are quite impressive, however, they are never a binding on the community. It is up to an individual to follow this opinion or form up his own by consulting any other Scholar or doing little research by himself. But the important thing is, he must be honest in his quest and it is this what determines his �pass� or �fail� at the day of the Judgment, to which no one can escape.

If only more Muslims had this attitude! Unfortunately, in my experience a great many Muslims think it is okay to impose their own religious opinions on others; and often those opinions are based solely on hadith.

I smiled when you commented that the clergy dictates the rules of Christianity. I think maybe you had the Catholic church in mind, led by their supposedly infallible Pope. In theory you might be right, but in practise not even the Pope's authority is absolute. I am reminded me of a Catholic friend's response to the Pope's opinions on contraception: "You don't play the game? -- You don't make the rules!"

Quote I guess this relates to things that are �Faradh� or obligatory and those which are �Sunnah� or �Recommended�. Generally speaking, when Quran brings something obligatory, the Sunnah brings the recommended way to do it.

I see no reason to assume that "the recommended way to do it" would be the same for all time. For example, the Quran obliges Muslims to wash their hands (wudu) before prayer, and the hadith and sunnah give specific instruction on how to do it. These instructions (using plain water, or dust if water is not available) may have made sense in the seventh century, before hand soap was available; but if Muhammad were alive today I find it hard to imagine that he would not have recommended using soap, or even an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

The "litmus test" I have been using for some time now to separate the moderates from the extremists is the question of apostasy. The Quran makes it clear that apostasy is a great sin, but (as far as I know) does not impose any penalty in this life and does not obligate other Muslims to take any action against an apostate. However, there are several hadith in which Muhammad clearly orders Muslims to kill apostates. Unless I am mistaken, all four of the major madhabs (Islamic schools of jurisprudence) have declared that apostates who refuse to recant should be killed; and every implementation of sharia that I know of includes this provision as well.

So what do you think? Is the murder of apostates obligatory, or merely recommended? Or should we assume that Muhammad's commands were specific to the time and circumstances in which they were given, and were never intended to apply more than a thousand years later?

Edited by Ron Webb - 31 December 2015 at 8:56am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2015 at 12:46pm

The "litmus test" I have been using for some time now to separate the moderates from the extremists is the question of apostasy. The Quran makes it clear that apostasy is a great sin, but (as far as I know) does not impose any penalty in this life and does not obligate other Muslims to take any action against an apostate. However, there are several hadith in which Muhammad clearly orders Muslims to kill apostates. Unless I am mistaken, all four of the major madhabs (Islamic schools of jurisprudence) have declared that apostates who refuse to recant should be killed; and every implementation of sharia that I know of includes this provision as well.

So what do you think? Is the murder of apostates obligatory, or merely recommended? Or should we assume that Muhammad's commands were specific to the time and circumstances in which they were given, and were never intended to apply more than a thousand years later?

IMHO, the topic of apostasy among Muslims is quite confusing, mostly because of the definition of this term �apostate� used at the time of the Prophet and the way it is understood now. It is for sure that Quran clearly says there is no compulsion on religion. Then how is it possible for Muslims to award punishment, that too capital punishment, to a person who reverts back from Islam to his pervious religion? Is this not sheer violation of Quran�s clear message? Yes, indeed it is. However, the reason this is happening is because of the confusion this term �apostate� is causing. My MS Office Word program shows me the following synonyms: renouncer, defector, deserter, renegade, absconder, traitor, run-away. Apparently, they all look and mean the similar, but actually, there is a huge difference when the same term is used specifically in Military to imply Deserter or traitor or absconder, for which capital punishment seems justified. Now, at the time of the Prophet Mohammad, in and around Mecca & Medina, there were only binary tribes. Either with or against the Muslims and there was no third option. Thus, anyone leaving Muslims, for any reason, would end up in the enemy�s camp. It is for this reason probably, that confused many Muslims in distinguishing between the apostate from the faith VS the apostate from loyalties in fighting war.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2016 at 10:45am

IMHO, the topic of apostasy among Muslims is quite confusing, mostly because of the definition of this term �apostate� used at the time of the Prophet and the way it is understood now.

The hadith I am referring to do not explicitly use the word "apostate":

Narrated 'Abdullah:
Allah's Apostle said, "The blood of a Muslim who confesses that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and that I am His Apostle, cannot be shed except in three cases: In Qisas for murder, a married person who commits illegal sexual intercourse and the one who reverts from Islam (apostate) and leaves the Muslims." Bukhari, Volume 9, Book 83, Number 17

Narrated Ikrima:
Ali burnt some people and this news reached Ibn 'Abbas, who said, "Had I been in his place I would not have burnt them, as the Prophet said, 'Don't punish (anybody) with Allah's Punishment.' No doubt, I would have killed them, for the Prophet said, 'If somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him.' " Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 52, Number 260

Quote Now, at the time of the Prophet Mohammad, in and around Mecca & Medina, there were only binary tribes. Either with or against the Muslims and there was no third option. Thus, anyone leaving Muslims, for any reason, would end up in the enemy�s camp. It is for this reason probably, that confused many Muslims in distinguishing between the apostate from the faith VS the apostate from loyalties in fighting war.

This is a false dichotomy. Surely it is possible, and has always been possible, to reject Islam without being hostile to Muslims. Besides, the hadiths above are clearly talking about religious apostasy, not military treason.

If I were a Muslim, this issue alone would be sufficient for me to reject all hadith. It is hard to know from a distance of 1400 years why Muhammad said those things, or indeed whether he said them at all; but it would be easier for me to believe that they are false or distorted, rather than that God would want me to kill someone merely for their beliefs or lack of beliefs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2016 at 8:23am

IMHO, the topic of apostasy among Muslims is quite confusing, mostly because of the definition of this term �apostate� used at the time of the Prophet and the way it is understood now.

The hadith I am referring to do not explicitly use the word "apostate":

Narrated 'Abdullah:
Allah's Apostle said, "The blood of a Muslim who confesses that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and that I am His Apostle, cannot be shed except in three cases: In Qisas for murder, a married person who commits illegal sexual intercourse and the one who reverts from Islam (apostate) and leaves the Muslims." Bukhari, Volume 9, Book 83, Number 17

Narrated Ikrima:
Ali burnt some people and this news reached Ibn 'Abbas, who said, "Had I been in his place I would not have burnt them, as the Prophet said, 'Don't punish (anybody) with Allah's Punishment.' No doubt, I would have killed them, for the Prophet said, 'If somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him.' " Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 52, Number 260

Quote Now, at the time of the Prophet Mohammad, in and around Mecca & Medina, there were only binary tribes. Either with or against the Muslims and there was no third option. Thus, anyone leaving Muslims, for any reason, would end up in the enemy�s camp. It is for this reason probably, that confused many Muslims in distinguishing between the apostate from the faith VS the apostate from loyalties in fighting war.

This is a false dichotomy. Surely it is possible, and has always been possible, to reject Islam without being hostile to Muslims.

Your disagreement is obviously understandable. Nevertheless, please present your proof to support your disagreement. Also, please do ensure that your example/proof must belong to the period of time while the Prophet was alive.

Besides, the hadiths above are clearly talking about religious apostasy, not military treason.
In the presence of clear Quranic directive (eg 2:256 There is no compulsion in religion�.) , all ahadith contrary to it, can�t be accepted. IMHO, this is the Islamic principle 101. Secondly, it is not necessary to put so much emphasis on �exact words� especially when all we are reading is the English translation of Arabic words put into writing decades after and communicated through oral transmissions that too, based on human memory. For an example just compare the two hadiths (Volume 9, Book 83, Number 16, Volume 9, Book 83, Number 18) narrating the same incident about a girl. Although the narrator of both of them is the same person (i.e Anas) yet we find so much difference in their wordings.

If I were a Muslim, this issue alone would be sufficient for me to reject all hadith�.

This is not an objective approach.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2016 at 6:00pm

Now, at the time of the Prophet Mohammad, in and around Mecca & Medina, there were only binary tribes. Either with or against the Muslims and there was no third option. Thus, anyone leaving Muslims, for any reason, would end up in the enemy�s camp. It is for this reason probably, that confused many Muslims in distinguishing between the apostate from the faith VS the apostate from loyalties in fighting war.

This is a false dichotomy. Surely it is possible, and has always been possible, to reject Islam without being hostile to Muslims.

Your disagreement is obviously understandable. Nevertheless, please present your proof to support your disagreement. Also, please do ensure that your example/proof must belong to the period of time while the Prophet was alive.

Pardon me, but it's your claim, and a highly improbable claim indeed, that "there was no third option". Surely the onus is on you to prove that claim, not on me to refute it. I can point to billions of examples around the world today of people who choose a third option, myself included -- namely to live peacefully with everyone, regardless of their religious beliefs or lack thereof. If you think there is some reason why that option would not have been available in seventh century Arabia, it is up to you to justify this. Otherwise it's just special pleading.

Quote In the presence of clear Quranic directive (eg 2:256 There is no compulsion in religion�.) , all ahadith contrary to it, can�t be accepted. IMHO, this is the Islamic principle 101.

Here is how islamhelpline.net explains it:
Quote "'Let there be no compulsion in religion' means and implies that ... every individual has a God-given right to choose for himself between the paths of Truth and error, Guidance and misguidance, Belief and disbelief, Obedience or disobedience. ... Thus it is absolutely impermissible in Islamic Law to force, or coerce, or compel anyone to accept Islam as their way of life if they do not themselves, of their own free will, choose to do so.

But if one, of his own free will chooses to believe and enters Islam by declaring the shahaadah or testification of faith, then he is bound by his declaration and all the disciplines of Islam become obligatory upon such a person. If one after accepting Islam as his deen does not pray, he will be compelled by Law to offer his prayers; or if he refuses to pay the zakah dues, he will be compelled by Law to fulfill his zakah dues; or if he refuses to distribute inheritance as prescribed by Shariah, he will be compelled by Law to do so; etc. Once the person of his own free will accepts Islam, he has no right to pick-and-choose the laws he wishes to follow; but rather he will be compelled to follow all the obligatory dictates of Shariah by Law. Here one cannot say or bring forth the excuse Let there be no compulsion in religion! nor would it be accepted. This command only applies to one who has not accepted Islam as his way of life."

Actually, I have an even simpler explanation: the purpose of killing apostates is not to force them to recant, but to punish them for their sin. In fact, even recanting will not save them because their sin is unforgivable (see Quran 4:137, for instance). So there is no compulsion here. They are free to leave Islam if they wish, just as they are free to commit adultery or any other capital crime; but having made that choice, they can expect to pay the penalty, which is death.

Secondly, it is not necessary to put so much emphasis on �exact words� especially when all we are reading is the English translation of Arabic words put into writing decades after and communicated through oral transmissions that too, based on human memory. For an example just compare the two hadiths (Volume 9, Book 83, Number 16, Volume 9, Book 83, Number 18) narrating the same incident about a girl. Although the narrator of both of them is the same person (i.e Anas) yet we find so much difference in their wordings.

I don't think there is any dispute about the meaning of the two hadith I quoted earlier. They are very clear. I don't understand your point about the two hadith about the girl. I see no contradiction between the two.

Quote If I were a Muslim, this issue alone would be sufficient for me to reject all hadith�.
This is not an objective approach.

By its very nature, religion is not objective. You can choose to believe the Quran or the hadith (or the Bible, for that matter), or not; but you can't objectively prove their truth. If you could, it would be science, not religion.

Anyway, I think we agree that the two hadith I quoted cannot possibly be true -- you because they (allegedly) conflict with Quran verse 2:256, and me because they conflict with my innate sense of morality. All I'm saying is that once you accept that two hadith are wrong, why would you trust any of them?                  

Edited by Ron Webb - 02 January 2016 at 6:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic