IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is the Qur'an contradictory? (I doubt it)  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is the Qur'an contradictory? (I doubt it)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afterswish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is the Qur'an contradictory? (I doubt it)
    Posted: 18 December 2015 at 3:13pm
Dear Islamicity forum members,

My question is directed to those members with a deep understanding of the Qur'an. The only holy book I'm currently familiar with is the Bible as I was brought up as a Christian, so please excuse me if I display ignorance in my search for knowledge.

My main contention is as follows: the Qur'an does not contradict itself. That is to say, it may be possible to quote or misquote sections of the Qur'an out of context to give the appearance of internal inconsistency or contradiction, when in fact a full reading shows this not to be the case.

The particular apparent contradiction I'm referring to, brought to my attention by non-Muslims, is the idea that the Qur'an states the following:

That the Bible is a previous revelation of Allah, and that it is true.

However, if the Bible is 'true', the Qur'an cannot be, since it contradicts the Bible. Therefore I am of the opinion, unfortunately uninformed by actually having read the Qur'an, that this is a misrepresentation. I've been directed towards the following references as supporting this likely erroneous idea:

Surah 6:114 "...Those unto whom We gave the Scripture [the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)] know that it is revealed from your Lord in truth..."
Surah 6:34 "And none can alter the words of Allah"
Surah 6:115 "And the Word of your Lord has been fulfilled in truth and in justice. None can change His Words. And He is the All-Hearer, the All-Knower."

I'd like to thank you for reading this far and I'd be very grateful for any assistance you may be able to offer. Just to reiterate, this viewpoint, that the Qur'an is self-refuting, is not one I personally hold. I actually find the idea ridiculous, I'd simply like to learn the most efficient way to debunk this premise.
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2015 at 7:34am
Allah in ch 13 v 38 of Quran says Allah sent books before Quran but those books were for a particular period of time and for particular group of People.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic