IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Questions Unanswered  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions Unanswered

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2006 at 8:34am
hi susset,

i wrote long previously. but i think it's simpler like this.

traditional marriege steps in my culture:
1. groom
's family eyes the desired girl (merisik)
    1.1 if groom
's family loves her --> step 2
    1.2 if not, no marriege
2. groom
's family entourage proposed to the bride's family at the her house (meminang)
    2.1 if both family, bride & groom loves the proposal --> step 3
    2.2 if not
, no marriege
3. engagement sealed. both family discuss wedding arrangement: 
    - the wedding presents for the bride: the bride can request the gifts
    - wedding suffs: date, arrangements, etc.
4. bride & groom marries
(pernikahan)
    - a kadi will take vows from groom & bride, witnessed by bride's wali & people
    - after the vow, the marriege is solemnised

of course this is my, culture. & in Islam, you can actually it can merisik & meminang the guy, i.e. khadijah. but this is how traditional Malay goes. he might be in step 2. i don't know if he's in step 3. so there you go. good luck!

ps: if engagement is broken, the shame might be like being left alone on the altar on your wedding day. so hearts can hurt. but most people here just thickens their face & move on. ppl will talk, but there's nothing else we can do about it.

Edited by firewall
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2006 at 10:06am

Sounds like this person has a complex situation. Since we do not know where he is from its hard to say what might be the cultural influences as well as specifically his family. Some stuff may be Islamic and some of it not.

Honestly I'd seperate myself if I were in your shoes.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2006 at 11:45am

Hi Sussett

Sounds very fishy to me! Did he ask you for financial help? The money he needs to pay is for the marriage not divorce,  that means that he is already married.  If a person can change his mind so quickly from one female to another, he will soon leave you if someone better comes along.

I also suggest - Walk away now.

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
Sussett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sussett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2006 at 8:09am

No he hasn't asked for help with the money. Its the opposite he's always bring gifts for me or my family. Even though I've told him ot to on more than on occation. As for him leaving her, I told him it had better not be for me. I've made no promises except to be his friend.

First of his father is from Palistine (sorry if i miss spelled that) he did NOT marry a family member (cousin, aunt, etc.) but a Puerto Rican woman. Now my friend was born and raised in Puerto Rico. I am Puerto Rican, and I see so much of my own culture in him that it's hard to believe the stuff that's going on with him.

I grew up with a phrase my mother taught me. That the way a man treats his mother, is how he treats a woman. So far that's worked for me in the past. But this guy is confusing. I mean he's so wonderful with is mother (whom Ive met along with his brother) he's caring, and very detailed oriented. He's the same with my mother. Yesterday he came over to help my dad with some shelves and brought my mom flowers. But at the same time I hear what's going on with his father and it worries me. I could his father be seriouse about the threat? I mean he didn't kill his older son when he got a woman pregnate and than married her instead of the arranged marriage......

As for the money, you ladies have me thinking now because all of you plus what Ive read have said that money is paid when their IS going to be a marriage NOt when there is a divorce.

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2006 at 9:10am

Bismillah,

What you said about his brother clarifies the situation that his dad is blowing smoke and those are just words not threats.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic