IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cats  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cats
    Posted: 20 January 2006 at 9:07pm

Bismillah,

I love cats.  They are beautiful, soft, furry and lovable!  I think they see Jinn.  What do you think?

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 9:56pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

This is a subject that is dear to my heart. I have 5 inside cats and 4 permanent stray cats and a few stragglers that I feed outside. I just can't seem to get enough of them!

I don't know of anything Islamic to support whether or not they can see jinn, but animals are much more sensitive than humans and can see, hear, and smell things that we cannot. I know on a number of occasions my cats have all gotten up at once, their tails all fluffed out and freaky, looked in the same direction, and run. I don't know what they are looking at, but it makes me a little spooked out when they do that.

Ayutha Billameen a Shaytan Arajeem. Ayutha Billameen a Shaytan Arajeem. Ayutha Billameen a Shaytan Arajeem.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 10:38pm

Bismillah

Hadith - Bukhari 3:553, Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar [Also in Muslim, Narrated Abu Huraira]

Allah's Apostle said, "A woman was tortured and was put in Hell because of a cat which she had kept locked till it died of hunger." Allah's Apostle further said, "(Allah knows better) Allah said (to the woman), 'You neither fed it nor watered when you locked it up, nor did you set it free to eat the insects of the earth.' "

Hadith - Muwatta 2.13

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ishaq ibn Abdullah ibn Abi Talha from Humayda bint Abi Ubayda ibn Farwa that her maternal aunt Kabsha bint Kab ibn Malik, who was the wife of the son of Abu Qatada al-Ansari, told her that once Abu Qatada was visiting her and she poured out some water for him to do wudu with. Just then a cat came to drink from it, so he tilted the vessel towards it to let it drink. Kabsha continued, "He saw me looking at him and said, 'Are you surprised, daughter of my brother?' I said, 'Yes.' He replied that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, cats are not impure. They intermingle with you .' "

Yahya said that Malik said, "There is no harm in that unless one sees impurities on the cat's mouth."

Hadith - Muslim, Narrated 'Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin  

Dawud ibn Salih ibn Dinar at-Tammar quoted his mother as saying that her mistress sent her with some pudding (harisah) to Aisha who was offering prayer. She made a sign to me to place it down. A cat came and ate some of it, but when Aisha finished her prayer, she ate from the place where the cat had eaten. She stated: The Messenger of Allah said: It is not unclean: it is one of those who go round among you. She added: I saw the Messenger of Allah performing ablution from the water left over by the cat.

Hadith - Dawud, Narrated Jabir ibn Abdullah

The Prophet forbade payment for cat.

Note:  The name of Abu Hurayrah, a major authority on hadith, literally translates to "cat man" or "father of cats".  Both Abu Hurayrah and the Prophet enjoyed the presence of cats.

Courtesy of Muttaqun.com

MOCKBA
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2006 at 1:33am

Es_Selam'un Aleykum ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh,

I know an expert on the issue may be she will tell us about cats,Sister Ummziba...

All i know about cats is they want to eat my squirrels, by the way i can not feed a cat tho the male squirrel is as big as cat and capable to fight with them...

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2006 at 5:11am

Assalamu alaikum,

Thanks for starting this topic, Sister Herjihad, perhaps it will be a thread without arguement or nastiness, insha'allah!  Mishmish, I have to agree, though there is no proof, that cats seem to be able to see and sense things that we do not!

Thanks for posting the ahadith about cats, Brother Mockba!  I knew there were some, but I always have trouble finding them.  When my dear friends children were bugging her to get a cat, she knew nothing about them and was very reluctant.  I told her to look in her ahadith collection, and she did find some.  After much research and reading and studying the subject, she and her husband agreed to get two cats, one for each of the children!  Almost a year later, they have no regrets.

Brother Suleyman, I am no expert, though, having had many cats all my life, I do know a bit about them!  What fanscinates me about cats is their intuition.  For example, whenever I raise my voice or cry, my cat runs right up to my face and studies me intently.  She does not like it when I am upset and knows my mood better than me!  She also senses when it is a good time to quietly go sleep out of the way or when my husband or I need her to cuddle on our lap.

Cats are (for the most part) intelligent, inquisitive, clean, great fun to have around and help keep our planet from being overrun by rodents!  Though I keep my cat indoors, there are two neighbourhood cats who keep my garden free of mice and voles, alhamdulillah!  So far, the chipmunks and black squirrels have managed to keep safe from them!

Here is a funny story ~ they say that grass is good for cats to eat, for their digestion.  Having an indoor cat, I thought it best to buy her a pot of cat grass so she could nibble it when she pleased.  To our chagrin, she is afraid of that pot of grass!

Most of all, I love that my cat prays salat with me.  She gets very upset if I go to pray and shut her out of the room!  When I listen to the Qur'an on CD, she enjoys it as well!  I view cats as one of Allah's great blessings He bestows on us!

I recall reading a story about a cat sleeping on the Prophet's (pbuh) clothing. When prayer time came, instead of disturbing the cat, he cut his clothes around her.  Has anyone else seen this story?  I would love to know if it is a real hadith or not.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2006 at 5:15am
Jazak Allah Khair Sister Ummziba,very relaxing thread....take care...
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2006 at 8:54am

Assalamu Alaikum Sister Ummziba:

I think the story about cutting the clothing was about Abu Hurayrah because he had such great love for cats.

My cats are also very sensitive to my moods and will come to me if I am crying or upset. I recently read an article about how more and more nursing homes are keeping cats as residential pets. The cats seem to be able to sense when one of the elderly patients is nearing death and they will all gather around that patient. They will sit on the patient's bed and cuddle or just keep them company until they pass. The article said that some patients find this disturbing at first, and do not want the cats let into their rooms,but then usually find comfort and solace in the cats quiet and loving presence.

I am known as the "Crazy Cat Lady" around my neighborhood, and that's fine by me. Many is the morning I've gone outside and found a new kitten in my backyard. I'm not sure how they get here, but sometimes I think they have a little human help. I will bring them in and feed them until I find them a good inside home. I have had some success with this Al HamdilAllah. My permanent strays outside are the ones who were a liitle too wild for anyone to keep.

Two of my five inside cats were birthed by strays in my backyard. They are trying to help me type right now... 

Edited by Mishmish
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2006 at 11:15am

Assalamu Alaikum:

I finally found the story of Aby Hurayrah and the cat:

"The story behind how Abu Huraiyrah (R.A) acquired this name goes as follows. Abu Huraiyrah (R.A) was lying down on the ground sleeping. He only had one garment which he clothed himself in and also used the same material as a chadder to sleep on. It so happened that as he was sleeping a cat came and went to sleep on his chadder. The Zuhr Adhan went, and Abu Huraiyrah (R.A) woke up. He saw that a cat was sleeping on his chadder. He waited for the cat to wake up, but it didn�t. So the time of namaz was going, and Abu Huraiyrah (R.A) was put in a dilemma as to what to do. He did not want to disturb the cat, as he thought if he disturbed it then on the Day of Judgement he would be asked as to why he harassed a creature of Allah. So instead he tore his garment so that the part the cat was sleeping on would not be disturbed, and thereafter made his way to the Masjid. After Salaah the Prophet (SAW) on seeing Abu Huraiyrah (R.A) asked to how come his clothes were torn, when in the morning it had been a full garment. Abu Huraiyrah (R.A) related the incident of the cat to the Prophet (SAW). The Prophet (SAW) on hearing his story remarked that because Abu Huraiyrah (R.A) had shown mercy to a creature of this Ummah, Allah (SWT) would show mercy on him on the Day of Judgement. He was also given the title of �father of a cat� (Abu Huraiyrah) and thus he became known and referred to with this name. SubhanAllah."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic