IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Where are our Islamic Manners?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where are our Islamic Manners?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where are our Islamic Manners?
    Posted: 20 January 2006 at 2:40pm

Assalamu Alaikum Wa RahmutAllah:

I would like to share something that happened today. My husband went to the Juma'a prayer at a musjid that he goes to once in a while. He splits the Juma'a prayers between three different musjids depending on where he is working at the time. As he went straight from work he was wearing pants, a shirt, and sweater. The sweater was a dark purple color.

I must explain that my husband is from Morocco, but he has very light skin and small features so that he doesn't look Moroccan or Arabic, but is often mistaken for someone from the hills of Pakistan or Kashmir.

Anyway, right after the khutbah and the prayer he stood to walk behind a group of men who were sitting inside the musjid and as he passed them they said in Arabic: "Look at this guy in that sweater. Who does he think he is? He must be a Pakistani or a girl."

My husband was very shocked and turned to the men and said to them in English: "Are you talking about me?" The men sat there surprised, then one of them said: "Where are you from that you understand what we said?" My husband told them: "It doesn't matter where I am from, do you think it is Islamic to sit in the musjid right after praying Juma'a prayer and mock another Muslim like that?" Instead of being ashamed these men started getting belligerent with him and told him they could say whatever they wanted, who would stop them?

The whole exchange upset my husband and frankly shocked him. He told me that he felt very sad that such a thing could occur. I am not so much sad as tired. I have witnessed this type of thing on the women's side of the musjid before, and I just don't get it.

It seems as though in the ten years I have been a Muslim, the Islamic Community is getting more divided and almost cruel to each other, instead of growing closer. I personally find it increasingly difficult to defend the actions of Muslims to non-Muslims, when I find some behavior indefensible.

Where I live there is a healthcare program for people who do not have insurance. You can see a doctor and get prescriptions at very low prices if you qualify. There are a lot of Muslimns on this program here as many are self employed or choose not to have medical insurance. The program is a great help, but the major drawback is that you often have to wait in long lines and they can be slow at getting things done. One day I was waiting in the pharmacy line and there was another Muslim woman, in full hijab, in line two people ahead of me. When she got up to the window apparently her prescription wasn't ready yet so she started a "discussion" with the pharmacist. After a minute or so she got very loud, then started screaming very bad words at the pharmacist, threw her empty pill bottle at her and hit her, and stormed out of the building. Of course, everybody in the whole building turned and looked at me, because there I was the only other hijab wearing Muslim in the place. I just stood there shocked. Then someone said, and I didn't see who, "What is wrong with you people? Why don't you all just go back where you came from and get medical care if you don't like it here." What could I say?

Anyway, I just feel that at a time when Muslims throughout the world are under very intense scrutiny, and are considered "the enemy" by many, we should at least try to follow the example of the Prophet Mohammed and the Sahaba and from a close Ummah. We should also remember that everything we do and every exchange we have with non-Muslims is dawah, and act accordingly.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
hakeema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hakeema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 2:51pm

As-Salaam Alaikum sister,

Well that was rude.  I feel what you are saying sister. 

Hakeema

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 4:37pm
Mishmish I agree too. I am frankly very gaurded at the Mosque and as a blue eyed convert with white skin I feel I am allways under scrutiny. I am defensive now and if someone gives me advice I tell them to worry about thier own problems and leave me alone. But my husband and I try to have lots of different friends and invite people of all races and even sunnis and shias to the same parties at our house. We love it!!! They can't be in thier own little club anymore and have to talk in english to the others there!! And most of them really enjoy it. One iftar party we had two Iranian shia families, one egyptian family, four pakistani families, one family where the husband is egyptian and the wife is half lebanese and half american and me (american convert) and my pakistani husband. It was really fun and unfortunatly our turkish friends couldn't come that night or it would have been even more mixed up. If you can't do it at the Masjid find good people and have them over to your home. You will find your circle will grow Inshalla and you can ignore all of the rude people. peace
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
hind View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 8:02pm

Asalamo alaikum,

I can't believe it!!!!  Well, yes, actually I can.  Mishmish, shaiytan has deceived many of us--Muslims, Christians, Jews, etc.  We are all human and are prone to error.  Hijab will not coerce a woman to "act properly".  Especially when wearing it becomes "just a part of wardrobe" rather than our spiritual veil.  It is very sad for "muslims" to display bad adab.  But, all you can do really is pray for those "muslims", pray for yourself that God keeps you on the Straight Path and pray for the unbelievers that see bad muslims and think all muslims are that way. 

You know there are bad Christians and Jews too.  But they aren't focused in the media like our bad Muslim brothers and sisters.  A "Christian" can commit murder and their religion won't be headlined in the paper and in the tv news.  But someone who is muslim, that is the first thing the media will capitalize upon.  That's the way it is and that's the way it's going to be until Jesus (PBUH) returns.  God told Abraham that he would raise a nation through Ishmael and that they will be enemies to other nations. 

Don't be discouraged.  You and your husband keep supporting each other to live to please Allah (SWT) so that on the Day of Judgement you and him will not fear hellfire.  This life is a test--I repeat this is just a test.  This is not our homes--we're just "camping" out.  Remember that this dunya is nothing compared to Paradise.  Also, God is in control and nothing happens (bad or good) without Him allowing it.  We may not understand why God lets things happen, but He is All-Knowing and that is where our faith and trust in Him becomes crucial--trusting in Allah even though the evidence surrounding you tells you to give up.  But don't give up and don't get discouraged.  Take opportunities like those that just happened to you and your husband to evaluate yourselves and see what areas YOU are lacking.  It's easy to see others' faults, but we must be careful to be humble and not think ourselves better just because we didn't do what that person did.  Think hard enough. You and your husband have probably done something that was probably just as worse.  That is what is so amazing about Allah (SWT), He is so Merciful and Often-Forgiving.  Always remember to make dua'a and be slow to pass judgement.

Salam

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 8:45pm

Bismillah,

Sister MM,

It's so hurtful to have people treat you that way in public because of your hijab, and expect that you should defend your faith any time they ask you to.  May Allah, SWT, give you strength and courage each day of your life.  And know that you aren't responsible for anyone else's behavior than your own.  It's too bad that someone at the hospital didn't speak out for you.  That would have been good adab on their part.

What little brats to treat your husband that way!  AstagfirAllah.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 9:16pm

Walaikum Assalaam:

Thank you for your responses. It felt good to get all of that off of my chest... 

I think the thing that shocked my husband the most was that the men only seemed surprised because he understood them, not embarassed or ashamed in any way. I guess if he had been Pakistani, as they assumed, and not understood a word of what they were saying, then they would have kept on talking about him. Allahu Alim. He didn't care what they were saying, just that they were bold enough to sit in the musjid after just having prayed and say such things!

I guess that I am naive, but I expect Muslims to act better because we are supposed to know better. Especially when we are in hiajb in public, because we are being judged. Just as people would judge a nun or a priest in a collar who suddenly stood up and started cursing and acting crazy. I can only imagine the harm that one Sister did to the Islamic image by her actions. Perhaps she was the only example some of the people there had ever had of a Muslim. One bad image is so much more difficult to erase than a thousand good ones because people tend to remember the bad stuff.

Thanks for letting me vent...  

Edited by Mishmish
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

Walaikum Assalaam:

Thank you for your responses. It felt good to get all of that off of my chest...�

I think the thing that shocked my husband the most was that the men only seemed surprised because he understood them, not embarassed or ashamed in any way. I guess if he had been Pakistani, as they assumed, and not understood a word of what they were saying, then they would have kept on talking about him. Allahu Alim. He didn't care what they were saying, just that they were bold enough to sit in the musjid after just having prayed and say such things!

I�guess that I am�naive, but I expect Muslims to act better because we are supposed to know better.�Especially when we are in hiajb in public,�because we are being judged. Just as people would judge a nun or a priest in a collar who suddenly stood up and started cursing and acting crazy. I can only imagine the harm that one Sister did to the Islamic image by her actions. Perhaps she was the only example some of the people there had ever had of a Muslim. One bad image is so much more difficult to erase than a thousand good ones because people tend to remember the bad stuff.

Thanks for letting me vent...�

I am Paksitani + CDN
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 11:04pm

Bismillah

Somehow we are not in the position to change other people. In fact, very often our attempt to correct them may produce reaction of disgusting rebellion and even more insult. However we have everything we need to change oursleves and establish continuous improvement. Allah is the All-Hearing.

Narrated Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri and Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "No fatigue, nor disease, nor sorrow, nor sadness, nor hurt, nor distress befalls a Muslim, even if it were the prick he receives from a thorn, but that Allah expiates some of his sins for that." (Sahih Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 70, Number 545)

SubhanAllah! as-Sami', the All-Hearing. These incidents hurt, but unfortunately they are not uncommon.  It is important for those who have children or younger members in the family, to relate these examples and help them learn basic manners of a true believer. It may not produce result immediately, but deep inside, in the heart, in the subconsciousness the right understanding of right and wrong will do its work, insha Allah...

Our Islamic manners, are therefore with us, and not necessairly those around us. All we have to do is expect less from others and reflect more of these manners in our daily actions.

Edited by MOCKBA
MOCKBA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic