IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Surah Al Anbiya V: 95/96  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Surah Al Anbiya V: 95/96

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qamar Faruqui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surah Al Anbiya V: 95/96
    Posted: 03 November 2015 at 6:59pm
With ref. to Quran 21:V 95~96
Wa haramun ala qaryatin ahlaknaha annahum la yarjeun. 95
Hatta iza futihat Yajuj wa Majuj wa hum min kulli hadabeen Yansilun. 96
Most of the scholars have taken the meaning of la yarjeun , that dead cannot return  until when Yajuj and Majuj have been released.
My Q.no.1 is which dead return before resurrection  that these dead are being mentioned to return to the city which was destroyed.
My Q.no.2 is in V 96 the word futihat is used which is 3rd. person feminine perfect verb. Now why feminine verb is used when all other words in the verse are masculine wa hum is masculine indicating that Yajuj Majuj have been taken as masculine also Yansilun is masculine.

Edited by Qamar Faruqui - 04 December 2015 at 6:54pm
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2015 at 1:51am

* تفسير Tafsir al-Jalalayn
{ وَحَرَامٌ عَلَىٰ قَرْيَةٍ أَهْلَكْنَاهَآ أَنَّهُمْ لاَ يَرْجِعُونَ }

It is forbidden for any town, meaning [it is forbidden for] its people, which We have destroyed that they should (lā yarji�ūna: the lā is extra) return, that is, their return to this world is prohibited.

* تفسير Tafsir al-Jalalayn
{ حَتَّىٰ إِذَا فُتِحَتْ يَأْجُوجُ وَمَأْجُوجُ وَهُمْ مِّن كُلِّ حَدَبٍ يَنسِلُونَ }

Until (hattā, [a particle] expressing the end of the prohibition of their return) when Gog and Magog (read Ya�jūju wa-Ma�jūju or Yājūju wa-Mājūju, [these are] non-Arabic names of two tribes; there is an implicit genitive annexation before this clause, namely, the [gates of the] sadd, �the barrier�, [built] against them) are let loose (read futihat or futtihat) � and this will happen near the [time of the] Resurrection � and they slide down, they hasten, from every slope, [every] highland.

www.altafsir.com
La Ilaha IllAllah
Qamar Faruqui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qamar Faruqui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2015 at 2:37am
Thank you
 Abu Loren for the quick response . My question regarding verse 96 still remains. The verb "futihat" is  3rd. person feminine singular perfect verb so how does it fit in with objects that are masculine for example  Sadd , Radma , Jidaran are all masculine  nouns.
For example:
وَفُتِحَتِ
السَّمَاءُ فَكَانَتْ أَبْوَابًا
The above verse is  Surah 78 V 19.
Here again "Futihati" is same feminine verb but its noun "Samao" is feminine so the verb is matched with noun according to gender. I hope you understand what is my query regarding "futihat" in 21:96.

Edited by Qamar Faruqui - 04 November 2015 at 2:39am
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2015 at 2:16am
"Futihat" has been translated as 'opened' rather than 'let loose' in some English translations. I don't know Arabic so I cannot help you but it's possible that in Arabic it is acceptable.
I believe the Qur'an is from God Almighty so I don't think He makes mistakes.
La Ilaha IllAllah
Al Ghuraba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Ghuraba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2015 at 4:03am
Originally posted by Qamar Faruqui Qamar Faruqui wrote:

With ref. to Quran 21:V 95~96Wa haramun ala qaryatin ahlaknaha annahum la yarjeun. 95Hatta iza futihat Yajuj wa Majuj wa hum min kulli hadabeen Yansilun. 96Most of the scholars have taken the meaning of la yarjeun , that dead cannot return� until when Yajuj and Majuj have been released.My Q.no.1 is which dead return before resurrection that that these dead are being mentioned to return to the city which was destroyed.My Q.no.2 is in V 96 the word futihat is used which is 3rd. person feminine perfect verb. Now why feminine verb is used when all other words in the verse are masculine wa hum is masculine indicating that Yajuj Majuj have been taken as masculine also Yansilun is masculine.

In the Name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Praise be to Allah.

First of all, there's no problem whatsoever in the Arabic language when you mix genders in a sentence. Some words are gender-bound (meaning; that they are always feminine/masculine, regardless of the words around it). So you WILL come across sentences that DO have mixed genders. So, that's not an issue in the Arabic language.

And the verse talks about that the DAM/BARRIER of Gog and Magog are opened up. Gog and Magog themselves are not opened up. How can they open themselves up? Can you "open" yourself up as a human? Unless you got a door on your chest, you can, but people can't "open" themselves up. That's impossible. Rather, what "opens up" is the dam/barrier, that imprisons the Gog and Magog (Gog and Magog are tribes).

Gog and Magog are masculine, while the dam/barrier that's meant, is feminine. So "futihat" is female, because it talks about the dam/barrier being opened (and the dam/barrier is a feminine noun), letting the Gog and Magog free. Then the verse continues on talking about Gog and Magog in a masculine tense, because Gog and Magog are masculine. It doesn't talk about that barrier anymore, so why bother keeping it feminine?

One thing you should know, is that the Arabic used in the Qur'an is different to the Arabic we know now. The Arabic used in the Qur'an is Qureish-Arabic, which is the language Muhammad (SAW) spoke. No one today speaks that language.Many hundreds of years ago, the people of England spoke "Old-English". If I spoke Old-English to you, you wouldn't understand me, unless you speak it yourself. And the grammar rules of Old-English are different then to what we know today. Keep that in mind, when you study the Qur'an.

As for the verse we spoke of... Here's the most used translation (Sahih International):

"Until when {the dam of} Gog and Magog has been opened and they, from every elevation, descend." - 21:96

Do you see that? What "opens up"? The dam/barrier (which is a feminine noun). Not Gog and Magog. So that's why it's in feminine.

In the other verse you mentioned, it also has a feminine tense, because it talks about the Heavens OPENING (which is also feminine). You can clearly see there that it talks about the Heavens opening, while this wasn't the case in the previous verse.

So, I understand your confusion. But before you analyse grammar, first look at what the verse means.

So let's summarise and analyse.

It opens up ("Futihat") --> feminine. Why feminine? Because that which opens up is ALSO feminine (so they match). And that which opens up, is the dam/barrier.

They (masculine), Gog and Magog (masculine), descend (masculine).

So there you have it! I hope that could answer it. Did you really think that God Almighty, Lord of the Seven Heavens, Creator of All, would make a mistake like that?

And God knows best.

As-salaam-aleikum.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qamar Faruqui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2015 at 4:43am
Thanks Abu Loren.  The intention of putting these verses on the forum is to seek better understanding of these verses and not to point out any defect in Quran God forbids. No muslim and believer can dare to think that there is any deficiency in Quran, one who thinks like that goes out of the fold of Islam. How ever there are numerous words and verses which are very difficult to understand and there is no harm in making effort to seek the knowledge about them. The structure , comprehension, logic and rhetoric of the Quran is marvelous.The grammar of the Quran is a trend setter in itself. Each and every word has very precise meaning in its place.
Therefore if we can find out the reason of the use of  feminine verb "Futihat" it would only enhance our knowledge of the Quran. For example note the following verses:

Surah Hijr (The rocky Tract)15 : 1

الَرَ تِلْكَ آيَاتُ الْكِتَابِ وَقُرْآنٍ مُّبِينٍ (15:1)

(Alif, Lam, Ra These are the verses of the Book and a clear Qur'an.)

An-Naml (The Ants) - 27:1

طس تِلْكَ آيَاتُ الْقُرْآنِ وَكِتَابٍ مُّبِينٍ 27:1)

(Ta, Seen  These are the verses of the Qur'an and a clear Book)

Now in these verses  Allah (SWT) has switched over "Kitab" and "Quran" in the two verses other wise all words with the exception of huruf e muqattat , are exactly the same.There must be some wisdom behind this I wish we can find out.

Edited by Qamar Faruqui - 09 November 2015 at 8:30am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qamar Faruqui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 7:21am
Dear Brother Al Ghuraba, assalamoalaikum , I refer to your last sentence
of your response:
So there you have it! I hope that could answer it. Did you really think that God Almighty, Lord of the Seven Heavens, Creator of All, would make a mistake like that?
I am very sorry to tell you that where did I say in my posts that there are "Nauzobillah" mistakes in the Quran. You must never  allege any muslim like this unless he clearly states that he has doubts in Quran or that there are mistakes in Quran.  You can read my other reply to Abu Loreb regarding same matter. It means if there are matters in Quran which require deep understanding it doesn't mean that a person who is trying to seek deeper knowledge is trying to find mistakes in Quran. For your information I am a student of Classical Arabic which is the language of the Quran . I have nothing to do with modern Arabic. I am fully aware of the differences in Classical and Modern Arabic.  Another thing is that knowing the language is one thing and knowing its grammar is another thing. An Arab may be knowing his language very well but it does not necessarily means that he knows its grammar as well and that too of a high level. Since I am very busy at the moment therefore I cannot comment on your response but very soon InshallAllah  I shall reply to each and every comment you have given.

Edited by Qamar Faruqui - 10 November 2015 at 7:41am
Al Ghuraba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Ghuraba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Qamar Faruqui Qamar Faruqui wrote:

Thanks Abu Loren. The intention of putting these verses on the forum is to seek better understanding of these verses and not to point out any defect in Quran God forbids. No muslim and believer can dare to think that there is any deficiency in Quran, one who thinks like that goes out of the fold of Islam. How ever there are numerous words and verses which are very difficult to understand and there is no harm in making effort to seek the knowledge about them. The structure , comprehension, logic and rhetoric of the Quran is marvelous.The grammar of the Quran is a trend setter in itself. Each and every word has very precise meaning in its place.
Therefore if we can find out the reason of the use of feminine verb "Futihat" it would only enhance our knowledge of the Quran. For example note the following verses:
Surah Hijr (The rocky Tract)15 : 1
الَرَ تِلْكَ آيَاتُ الْكِتَابِ وَقُرْآنٍ مُّبِينٍ (15:1)
(Alif, Lam, Ra These are the verses of the Book and a clear Qur'an.)

An-Naml (The Ants) - 27:1
طس تِلْكَ آيَاتُ الْقُرْآنِ وَكِتَابٍ مُّبِينٍ 27:1)
(Ta, Seen These are the verses of the Qur'an and a clear Book)

Now in these verses Allah (SWT) has switched over "Kitab" and "Quran" in the two verses other wise all words with the exception of huruf e muqattat , are exactly the same.There must be some wisdom behind this I wish we can find out.

In the Name of God; the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

I don't know yet if my previous post was activated when you replied, but I explained why "futihat" was used, so you can have a look above.

Now, as for the reason why Allah (SWT) switches "Qur'an" and "Book", we don't know why. Only God knows. But we CAN see the wisdom behind this, eventhough we still don't know why God chose to write like that.

As you may or may not know, the Qur'an is not just any book, but it is a masterpiece. You'll find verses following each other with miracles in each; like insane rhymes that cannot be compared to ANYTHING.

You'll also find that it is very relaxing to listen to, obviously, because it's from God. You'll ALSO find that it is very EASY to memorise, in comparison with other books. Not only because of the rhymes, but also because of the structure, and the grammar, and things like that. God Himself said that the Qur'an is easy to memorise! So whatever He does in His Book, it ALL has wisdom behind it. But, we don't know WHAT that wisdom is (sometimes)...

Now as for those two verses... I personally think that God switched those two up, because it would then be easier to memorise. Why? Because if He didn't switch those two words, the sentence would look alike. So much alike, that you could get confused when you're reciting, and you might accidentally switch the chapters up, because the beginning is pretty much the same. So both of those verses are unique, and can be distinguished from each other.

That's what I think, so don't take what I said as the answer, because I could be wrong. Only God knows why He does things that He does.

Another interesting thing is the following verse of each verse. Let's have a look:

"Alif, Lam, Ra. These are the verses of the Book and a clear Qur'an. Perhaps those who disbelieve will wish that they had been Muslims." - 15:1-2

It first talks about the Qur'an, and then He talks about the disbelievers, and He CONTINUES ON talking about them. While as we look at the other one:

"Ta, Seen. These are the verses of the Qur'an and a clear Book. As guidance and good tidings for the believers." - 27:1-2

Allahu akbar! God SWITCHES "Qur'an" and "Book" with each other, AND He talks about the believers now, INSTEAD of the disbelievers! Subhanullah! He first switches up, and then He writes something that is completely opposite to the previous one! And when we continue to read those two chapters we find out that in chapter 15 (the chapter where God first talks about the disbelievers), God AGAIN switches up from talking about the disbelievers, to talking about the believers (He talks about the Prophets)! Allahu akbar! Same thing with the other one (27)! There He first talked about the believers, and THEN about the disbelievers!

Praise be to Allah; Lord of the Worlds.

But like I said, the wisdom behind it, is (only) known to Allah (SWT). I hope this helped.

As-salaam-aleikum.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic