IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - separation from husband  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

separation from husband

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: separation from husband
    Posted: 18 January 2006 at 8:36am

Dear Sisters,

I am seeking some help.  I recently had my third round with ovarian cancer and once again had to face the fact that my time on earth may be limited and that I should not waste it for things that are a source of pain for me.  I love my husband dearly but have had his parents and two sisters living with us for the last seven years.  I love them as my own but I feel that I want and deserve to have a home of my own with just my husband.  We have no children, due to my cancer, because if there were children this would not be an issue, I would be staying with my husband and his family.  I just feel that the house is not mine and that I am a guest in my own house.  Instead of just pleasing my husband I am constantly having to worry about the others in the house.  I am at pain that I cannot have my own home with just my husband.  I have, with my husbands blessings, moved out into my own apartment but am trying to find in my heart how to resolve this situation, he will not ask his parents to move out of the house and he will not move in with me,  I must either move back with him and the situation of living as a guest in my own home or leaving him for good.  Please help me sisters, I have prayed and prayed for Allah's guidance and am hurting even more and feel very very selfish for wanting to live with just my husband.  Any advice you can give would help.

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2006 at 9:48am

Bismillah,

Dear Sister, I am so sad to hear of your distressful situation.  ISA you will be cured by Allah, SWT of cancer and have a long life and maybe have children also.

If you can afford this apartment you have, then why not schedule time alone with your husband, like dates, at least a couple of times a week at first, or whatever, to slowly ease him into spending more time with you, especially during your illness?

It may not be ideal, but if you can find some happiness, more than you have now, ISA, that will give you contentment and peace.  Because it seems clear that right now he is not listening to your needs.

(If he won't go to the apartment for the night or weekend, would your inlaws do that much for you?)

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
kaki View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2006 at 4:00pm

Thank-you dear sister.  I am (thank God) able to afford the apartment and can support myself.  That is one of many blessings that God has given me.  I have tried many times in the last month to have him come.  He has visited but never has stayed.  God willing it will get better but I just am afraid that I have hurt him too much by not wanting to live with his family any more.  Is it wrong of me to want my own home alone with him?  The in-laws would never dream of leaving the house for the weekend for me to be there alone with him.

Edited by kaki
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2006 at 2:39am

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu,

May allah give you health, long life and all good of this world and the next, insha allah, Ameen.

No it is not wrong if you wish to have your own home. Your religious duties are towards your own parents, but not towards your husband's parents. However we must behave well with our inlaws since a good gesture towards other muslims, and elderly is required from us.

Your husband has duties towards his parents and sisters, however he should be giving you your marital rites. If you can manage this with good behavior, conversation, and in general a continued galant persuation.

Meanwhile try to make the most of those times in which your husband visits you. Perhaps spend sometime out of the city, on a long weekend. Think how to add quality to the moments you spend with him rather than worrying too much on their quantity. Pray to Allah to ease you from the situation. When you are together with your husband, spend sometime remembering Allah, be it anything for example counting on His blessings and jointly sending Him gratitude.

If your husband cannot tell his parents he wants to move out, for the fear of hurting their feelings, you can have his permission to talk to them yourself. If you have friendly relations with his sisters, try taking thier help in the matter.

Hope you resolve your family issues in congeniality and good humor insha allah.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

Edited by Nausheen
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
MayPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2006 at 10:37pm

Talking to them would only undermine your husban's position and is probably going to make you look like you are going behind his back  to his parents as well. You need to talk to your husband and let the choice be his. We have a moral obligation to our parents yes, and that includes a roof over their head, but it doesn't need to be your roof! If your giving your husband an "ultimatem" be sure you are ready to follow through, otherwise you might just cause resentment between them all. Your other choice is to just grin and bear it- and on that note, you didn't discuss this before you were married, did you notice at all he had undoubted loyalty to his mama before ? Why make an issue now of it?

t

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2006 at 11:54pm

kaki, is there any possibility of getting a duplex side by side. That way you have your own door and house with a lock, but you are right next to your husbands family. My brother in law and his wife lived with my husbands mother when they were first married. It was a total disaster, they did not get along at all. Eventually they decided to split the house and live side by side. My sister in law now has her own house and comes and goes as she pleases. She does not anser to my mom in law or other in laws at all. And her and her kids and husband have privacy. But they are right next door and the kids go to see thier grandma every day and my brother in law checks in on her all the time as well. They invite her over at least once a week for dinner and she invites them over too. It is really the best situatuion for them and I'm sure if they would have stayed living together only divorce would have happened. At least now the kids have thier parents together and thier grandma close by. Peace P.S. Who does you husband think he will grow old with? His parents or you?  When they are long gone and have passed he will be very grateful to have a faithful companion and not be alone. I would remind him of that...

You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
firewall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 10:14am
Dear kaki,

may Allah grant you strength & hapiness, in your life. i hope you will have peace in your heart & mind always. i do hope you can find a cure for your illness. ppl say illness expiates sin, still i hope you're peaceful & strong always.

since you asked, about your in-laws. may i ask, how do u find urself "guests" when they're around? maybe.. is it that you have to be extra nice, extra careful to them in the house. honestly, i think... maybe ... you should let ur guard down a little perhaps -- and try to be closer to them in terms of relationship. then insha Allah, you can feel them as you feel ur own family, & be comfortable.

honestly, i do think their support & care could be a good thing. actually i think it will be a great thing.

or.. is the house to small for all of you? ur husband & you should have your own room -- u both deserve privacy. do you have one? in Islam, i think even family must ask permission before entering your private space... so you can be comfortable in your master bedroom -- perhaps?

i hope things can work out. may Allah blesses you.

Edited by firewall
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 10:30am

Dear Kaki,

I am sorry to hear about your struggles..there is no easy decision.

Does your husband understand the situation with your health? Does his family? Cancer and its treatments are very debilitating and exhauting. Its hard to be 'up' and able to meet people halfway when one is dealing with such an illness.

may i ask, how do u find urself as "guests" when they're around. maybe you have to be extra nice to them?

I think its great that she should be extra nice.. but this is not day to day life. She is dealing with cancer. Her husband needs to support her!  This is when she needs the comfort and care. Being around alot of people can add to one's exhaution.

My prayers are with you Kaki.

Hayfa

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic