IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > World Politics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Blasphemy Rights Day.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blasphemy Rights Day.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2016 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

I'm not looking for word games either. I'm trying to understand what behaviour (originally Matt's, but now apparently mine as well) you find "nasty and disrespectful". We are expressing our views, in as respectful a manner as we are able. Which is quite a challenge, given the nastiness and disrespect with which we are confronted time after time in the Quran.

Matt said that "Literalism poses a serious threat. We have to speak out against it." If that is nasty and disrespectful, then what of the Quran (9:123), which urges believers to "fight ... the disbelievers and let them find in you harshness"? Do you not see how that statement (among many others), when taken literally, is a direct threat to us? Should we be "respectful" about such threats?

I understand that you don't like our views, just as there are aspects of Islam that we don't like. IMHO that is all the more reason why we need to talk about them -- as respectfully as possible, but as frankly as necessary.

This is an excellent summary of the core of the matter. I wish Abuayisha had responded to this. I guess he ran out of arguments.

Two of the most troubling aspects of the Quran are

1) The demonization of the disbeliever, promising hellfire and torture over and over again
2) The promise of entering paradise for martyrdom

The Bible also contains lots of troubling aspects and not only in the Old Testament. The apostle Paul tells women to keep their mouths shut during community gatherings in the same manner Saudi clerics do today.

The difference is that the Bible isn't the literal word of God and that Christianity evolved over the centuries and went through a painful process called Reformation. Women can be bishops, though not Pope yet. How was all this change made possible? Discourse. Criticism. Sometimes nastiness. It was necessary. And it was worth it. Today's Christianity, though far from being perfect, is a lot better than it was 600 years ago. And the discourse continues. Christians have learned to see criticism as an opportunity. I wish more Muslims had the same courage. Only a modern interpretation of Islam can help create a more peaceful world.

Edited by Matt Browne - 17 January 2016 at 8:58am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2016 at 9:08am
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Greetings abuayisha,Can we agree that when something becomes a threat it must not be allowed?  That laws are made to protect people from threat?

The ban has little or nothing to do with public safety, but any conspicuous religious symbol is seen as a threat to secularism in France.

I think the ban has multiple reasons

1) Face veils violate the French dress code - there are limits on how you can appear in public - you can't be naked and you can't be fully cloaked
2) Face veils fuel hatred against Muslims far more than headscarves do thereby leading to more votes for right wing parties
3) Both headscarves and face veils are seen as discrimination against men, because the tradition assumes that men are primitive animals unable to control their urges
4) In many cases it's men forcing women to wear a face veil against their wishes
5) Face veils rob women of their individuality and make them look like indistinguishable black robots
6) Face veils are against the very nature of humanity - if you study the brain you'll find a large portion solely dedicated the interpretation of facial expressions which are a fundamental part of human communication

I wish Germany had the guts to introduce a ban on face veils. But our politicians fear terrorist attacks as a result of introducing such a law.

Edited by Matt Browne - 17 January 2016 at 9:21am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2016 at 9:31am
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Perhaps you're more familiar with Saudi penal code than myself. What section or law would these women have violated to have been arrested? Speaking to a man is not against the law in Saudi. How Saudis structure their political campaign isn't our concern, but that of the Saudi people.

Come on, the issue is even more serious than that. Saudi law does not only prohibit women from talking to a man (who isn't a relative watching her) it also prohibits women from getting too close to such a man, even without even saying a word. Saudia Arabia imposes one of the most strict versions of Sharia law. Here's a recent example from Banda Aceh in Indonesia, also exforcing inhumane, cruel Sharia law:

"The whipping girl - Screaming in agony, a woman collapses as she and a man are caned under Sharia law in Indonesia merely for being 'seen in close proximity' to each other without being married. The woman was accused of getting too close to a fellow university student. She was brought to a mosque where she was caned in front of a crowd. The woman received five lashes and at end had to be taken to hospital. Under the law men and women, who are not spouses, are not allowed to get too close due to the 'khalwat' offence and punishment is by public caning."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3377187/Screaming-agony-woman-caned-crowd-close-proximity-man-not-married-Indonesian-region-s-sharia-law.html

"Several sharia crimes, such as khalwat (close proximity of unmarried man and woman) are punishable ..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_of_sharia_law_by_country

What do you know about khalwat? Is the article wrong?

Edited by Matt Browne - 17 January 2016 at 9:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic