IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question on Barren Women  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question on Barren Women

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
firewall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on Barren Women
    Posted: 20 January 2006 at 10:35am
wallahu a'lam, isn't it true.. Sarah didn't conceive for a long time, since she wedded Prophet Abraham? and Prophet Zachariah (Zakaria):

He (Zakariya) said: "O my Lord! How shall I have a son, when my wife is barren and I have grown quite decrepit from old age?"  Quran, 19:8

even prophets married women, who finds hard to cenceive. still it's all God's Wills, if one day they will have children. nobody really knows. now, we even have fertility technology. once barren couples can seek medical attention to increase their chances. insha Allah, couples can have children.  all is from Allah.

Rasulullah (PBUH) also states a woman prefered is because of her religion. not her ancestry (which might affect her fertility genes). wallahu a'lam.

Edited by firewall
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2006 at 7:53am
Thanks guys.  I appreciated the answers.
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2006 at 5:39pm

I think it sounds harsh to you Angela. I know couples that are Muslim that have adopted because the wife cannot concieve. They truely love each other and are happy, therefor they would not divorce just because the wife was infertile. I also know of a woman, a friend of a friend that was married to a man that was sterile. Her family pressured her to divorce him and she did. Now she is very regretful because she really loved him. And what about the poor guy? As many as 30% of causes of couples having infertility are caused by the man. In Islam a woman can divorce her husband if he is impotent or infertile. But I think it totally depends on the kind of marriage. Some people marry because of love. Others for having a family. If its for love, I think the marraige may be more important than just having babies. If it is for family and children then the marraige wont work and the woman could marry a divorced man with children a widower or another sterile man. That may be better. Peace

You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2006 at 7:39am

Bismillah,

I read the link you provided.  I had never heard of this hadith at all.  However, I do know that Aisha, raa, was barren, and she was the prophet's wife and one of the most respected women in Islaam. 

Maybe the guys were only looking for beauty, as this hadith you pasted says, and they were being encouraged to think of family as well.  Maybe the prophet Muhammad, pbuh, did not say this.  Allahu 'Alam.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2006 at 7:14am

Well, there are many stories in the bible that have women being tested with barreness.  Jacob's wife Rachael, Hannah who is the mother of Samuel the boy prophet, Elizabeth the mother of John the Baptist, and don't forget Sarah.  I was kinda shocked when I read this.  But, reading it again, I'm confused, what does he mean by being one of the lost????  I thought lost was bad.

http://www.askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.php?askid=f736e7a3dad7608 ce3baf04cafabc251

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2006 at 3:44pm

Bismillah,

Dear Angela, I had always heard that if a wife is barren, then that is one of the valid reasons for polygamy.  Why would he be "allowed" to leave her unless she wished it?

I have known barren Muslim Arab women whose husbands stayed with them all of their lives and never married another woman.

If my son wanted to marry a barren woman, that would be fine with me.  I want him to have a suitable partner that includes many necessary things for his personality, but that is not a requirement at all. 

However, some mothers-in-law would object and encourage their sons either not to marry her, marry another to have grandchildren, or to divorce her.

And then there's the story of a man who thought his wife was barren and he married a second wife after 13 years of marriage.  That same year and almost every year for ten years both women had children. 

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2006 at 3:24pm

I've recently read several fatwas saying barren women are undesireable to marry.  When I asked how is a woman to know she is barren before she marries and tries to have children, I was told its permissable for a man to leave his wife for another at that time.

So, the question becomes....what happens to the young women who cannot have children?  Does she have no value if she cannot?

This doesn't seem right. 

What is the mindset from a Muslimah on barren sisters?

(This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart since my own struggles with it)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic