IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : New Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Missing Salaat  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Missing Salaat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2009 at 3:29am
Assalamu alikom, everyone.  I am new here, and I reverted to Islam on 1st Ramadan last year, alhamdulillah.

With regard to salat...

I thought you could pray isha at any time up til Fajr.  Not true?  only until midnight?

And when do you pray the "late night" prayer?  If isha is only until midnight, then the "late night" is after that, I guess, eh?  (and this prayer any even number of rakah)

And Witr is different from the "late night" prayer, right?  I believe I read that Witr can be prayed any time after Isha and before Fajr, but better if in the last third of the night.  (...and Witr any odd number of rakah over 1)

...and with regard to a missed prayer....  If you perchance do miss one (not by plan, but by accident (ie forgetfulness, work, driving, etc), can it be "made up"?  ie, despite your intentions, you nonetheless miss Asr completely, and it is now the time period for maghrib.  Do you pray Asr and then Maghrib?  combine them? skip Asr?  or what?  

And what if in the same example you missed more than one?  At this time of year, Asr, Maghrib and Isha are all pretty close together.  I have on occasion gotten so wrapped up in my work that when I looked at the clock I still had 15 minutes to wait before Asr, and the next time I thought about it and looked at the clock it was already Isha!  What to do?

Thank you for setting me on the straight path!
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2009 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Juma Juma wrote:

Assalamu alikom, everyone.  I am new here, and I reverted to Islam on 1st Ramadan last year, alhamdulillah.

Subhanallah!!! Congratulatins Bro/Sis Juma!!! Welcome to the folds of Islam. . . Smile

I thought you could pray isha at any time up til Fajr.  Not true?  only until midnight?

Yes, you can pray Isha anytime up until Fajr. However better not to leave it till the very last second. Hadith also tells us that Prophet Muhammad would delay the Isha prayer a little, so that it would be his last act before sleep.

And when do you pray the "late night" prayer?  If isha is only until midnight, then the "late night" is after that, I guess, eh?  (and this prayer any even number of rakah)

I dont know what you mean by the 'late night' prayer. Do you mean 'Tahajjud' prayer? it is an unobligatory (nafl) prayer, that can be prayed anytime during the night, if one happens to wake up. Usually late at night.  It is different from Isha. It also can be prayed at anytime during the night. But the normal practise is, that it is reccommended if not obligatory to sleep before Tahajjud prayer. I hope I didnt confuse you. Let me know if I did! Smile I shall try and explain better Inshalah.

Quote And Witr is different from the "late night" prayer, right?  I believe I read that Witr can be prayed any time after Isha and before Fajr, but better if in the last third of the night.  (...and Witr any odd number of rakah over 1)
Witr is different from Tahajjud prayer, if thats what you mean. Lets not call it the late night prayer, because technically, Witr, Tahajjud and Isha can all be 'late night prayers' if prayed late - yet they all 3 are different prayers Smile So it shall confuse us.

And yes, Witr can be prayed anytime after Isha and before Fajr. The common practise amongst many muslims (including myself) is to pray Witr immediately after Isha, so that we dont forget later and miss it.

Quote ..and with regard to a missed prayer....  If you perchance do miss one (not by plan, but by accident (ie forgetfulness, work, driving, etc), can it be "made up"?  ie, despite your intentions, you nonetheless miss Asr completely, and it is now the time period for maghrib.  Do you pray Asr and then Maghrib?  combine them? skip Asr?  or what?  
And what if in the same example you missed more than one?  At this time of year, Asr, Maghrib and Isha are all pretty close together.  I have on occasion gotten so wrapped up in my work that when I looked at the clock I still had 15 minutes to wait before Asr, and the next time I thought about it and looked at the clock it was already Isha!  What to do?

Making up a missed prayer is called 'Qaza' Salaat. You will not get the reward of praying the regular prayer on time, but atleast you shall not sin, and it will not be counted as a prayer you missed.

It is neccessary to make up prayers later. Make-Up/Qaza prayers can be prayed at anytime, when you have the chance later, preferably the first chance you get. Excluding sunset and sunrise - those are times when we are not supposed to pray/prostrate, as told by hadith, so as to differentiate ourselves from the sun-worshippers of the time.

The way to do is to pray the Fard/Obligatory rakat only. We dont make-up sunnah/nifl rakat. . . only Fard rakat. E.g if I missed Zuhr and Asr, I shall only pray 4-rakat fard for Zuhr, thats all. After finishing Zuhr's make-up prayer - I can proceed to make-up any other prayer I missed, and so can pray 4-rakat Asr then. Thats all. SO if u miss multiple prayers, you simply pray them one after the other. 

I hope this helped. Like I said, let us know if u have anymore confusions, inshallah the members here will try to help.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
abosait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abosait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2009 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

........inshallah the members here will try to help.
THE PROPHET'S PRAYER DESCRIBED
(PEACE AND MERCY OF ALLAAH BE UPON HIM)
from beginning to end, as though you were watching it.
"Pray as you have seen me praying." (transmitted by al-Bukhaari)

Muhammad Naasir ad-Deen al-Albaani
Translated to English by Usama bin Suhaib Hasan

The above e-book is available for free download at the following URLs.

http://www.qss.org/articles/salah/toc.html

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/pillars/prayer/albaani/prayer_1.html

and the Print edition can be ordered at http://www.darussalam.com/product_info.php?products_id=819

The Prophet's Prayer Described

Excerpts from the introduction:

Praise be to Allaah, who made Prayer compulsory on his slaves and ordered them to establish it and perform it well; who linked success and felicity to humility in Prayer; who made it the criterion to distinguish between Eeman and Kufr; and who made it a restrainer from shameful and unjust deeds.

Prayers and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad, who was addressed in the Words of the Exalted:
"And We have sent down to you the Message, that you may explain clearly to the people what is sent for them"
and who fully carried out this task. The Prayer was one of the most important things which he explained to the people, verbally and practically, even praying on the pulpit once - standing, bowing and prostrating, and then saying to them, I have done this so that you may follow me and learn my prayer. He obligated us to copy him in his prayer, saying, Pray as you have seen me praying. He also gave the good tidings to whoever prayed like him that such a person has a covenant with Allaah that He will enter him into the Garden, saying, There are five prayers which Allaah, Mighty and Sublime, has made compulsory: he who performs ablution well for them, prays them at their proper times, and is complete in their bowings, prostrations and humility, he has a guarantee from Allaah that He will forgive him; but he who does not do so, has no guarantee from Allaah: if He wishes, He will forgive him or if He wishes, He will punish him.

Prayers and peace be also on his family and his pious and just Companions, who passed on to us his worship, prayer, sayings and actions (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam), and who made these, and these alone, a Madhhab and a path for them to follow ; and also on those who follow in their footsteps and tread their path until the Day of Judgment.

Excerpts from the ADDENDUM:

All that has been mentioned of the description of the Prophet's prayer (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) applies equally to men and women, for there is nothing in the Sunnah to necessitate the exception of women from any of these descriptions; in fact, the generality of his statement (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam),"Pray as you have seen me praying", includes women.

This is the view of Ibraaheem an-Nakh'i, who said,
"A woman's actions in the prayer are the same as a man's" - transmitted by Ibn Abi Shaibah (1/75/2), with a saheeh sanad from him.

Also, Bukhaari reported in at-Taareekh as-Sagheer (p. 95) with a saheeh sanad from Umm ad-Dardaa',
"that she used to sit in her prayer just as a man sits, and she was a woman of understanding."

Edited by abosait - 11 January 2009 at 2:42am
Juma View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2009 at 9:17pm
Thank you, Chrysalis and Abosait!  That is exactly what I needed.  (...and yes, I meant Tahajjud, lol)  I do not know all the Arabic names and expressions, and it can be quite confusing.

But now, of course, I have come up with a couple more nit picky questions...

What if you start a fard prayer during the right timeframe, but finish it during the next.  Is that rewarded as being in the right timeframe?  or must the prayer be completed during the correct timeframe?

This practice of wearing socks and completing wudu by patting the top of your sock-covered foot with a wet hand instead of actually washing the feet...  I have heard that is acceptable provided the socks have been worn continuously since the last wudu.  Is that correct?

Thank you very much for your help!  Assalamu alikom wa rahmatullah.
Juma View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2009 at 9:27pm
Also, I note that Khadija, above, lists Isha as occurring from twilight to midnight.  I have been told this by multiple people, but have likewise been told more than once that it is from twilight to Fajr

Is there a definitive answer to this?  or does the practice merely differ regionally?  Inshallah, I suppose I should just make a point of praying Isha before midnight, and not worry about it!

Assalamu alikom.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2009 at 12:57am
Originally posted by Juma Juma wrote:

What if you start a fard prayer during the right timeframe, but finish it during the next.  Is that rewarded as being in the right timeframe?  or must the prayer be completed during the correct timeframe?

You mean, we are for example praying Zuhr, but the time is almosy gone, and its nearly Asr? Well, if there is a genuine reason for the delay . . . Allah will deal with it accordingly, since He is Just and Fair. However, just keep this general rule in mind - late salaat may not be ideal, but it is better than no-salaat. . . so irregardless of the time passing - just pray it. However, one should not wait till the last second.
Also, since you are a new muslim, you may not have come across these ahadith, so let me mention anyway - since it is relevant to salaat. Hadith tells us that if we have to go to the toilet, we should not 'hold it' to pray - rather, we are asked to finish our business before praying salaat. Also, if one is very hungry, we are asked to eat something to satisfy ourselves before salaat - otherwise we cannot focus on Allah, and He was Merciful enough to give us this much flexibility.

This practice of wearing socks and completing wudu by patting the top of your sock-covered foot with a wet hand instead of actually washing the feet...  I have heard that is acceptable provided the socks have been worn continuously since the last wudu.  Is that correct?

This is a controversial one, since different scholars say different things. I believe a member here posted a fatwa on this some time ago . . . Perhaps you should search it up on the forum? 'socks wudhu fatwa'.

Also, even if it is allowed - like some say - it is not for normal-occasions, it is when people are travelling, or it is too cold to wash feet etc.

Inshallah, perhaps Abosait/or any other member could help you better.

Wa'alaikumsalaam.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2009 at 3:21am
Salaam Alaikum,

Its allowed to wipe over the socks if one was with ablution when putting them on. This is allowed for 24 hours for the resident and for the traveller, 3 days and nights.

Ref: Sahih Muslim, vol.1, book 3, no.537, p.165.

".....The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) stipulated (the upper limit) of 3 days and 3 nights for a traveller and 1 day and 1 night for the resident".

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Juma View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2009 at 6:13am
Thank you everyone for putting me on the straight path!  It is not my intent to "push the envelope" as it were, but inshallah to understand the proper methods and the consequences of not so proper methods...

Can one pray with eyes closed?  or must be open with eye glued to one spot?

Thank you for your continued indulgence of my naive questions!

Assalamu alikom wa rahmatullah.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic