IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : New Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Missing Salaat  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Missing Salaat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Missing Salaat
    Posted: 16 January 2006 at 3:01am

Assalaamualikum,

My sister lives out of town and she came in a few days ago for a visit.  Tomorrow she wants to spend the day with me having lunch and watching a movie.  Excitedly I said yes.  Now I realize that if I go with her I will be missing three Salaats (Zuhr, Asr and Magrib).  We have to get an early start to the day because she must be back by the evening because she is leaving to go back home this same night.  My sister is a non-muslim and I am a muslim revert of a few months (Alhamdulillah).  I know one of my most important duties as a muslim is to pray my five daily prayers.  I was just wondering if there is anything that you can do if you know you are going to miss your prayers.  (I ask Allah's forgiveness for my ignorance.)  Please, I ask that anyone who answers does not give me an opinion but if you can, gives an answer according to the quran and sunnah.  In my heart I know this is not a valid reason to miss salaat and I am prepared to explain the situation to my sister knowing she will probably be mad at me and not speak to me for a long time. 

~Salaam~

Edited by Farrah
Henna View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2006 at 3:20am
Sister, there is no excuse to miss a salaat (except our own death!). There is nothing to do if we know that we are going to miss our salaat. We pray or we miss.

I know you don't want personal opinions but i will suggest one thing;
We can pray when we are outside. We can use the baby changing rooms to pray while we are in mall or in cinema.. You can carry a compass and praying rug. These will help you inshallah.

Edited by Henna
Farrah View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2006 at 3:43am

Salaam, Thank You for your reply.  I was actually just reading something that says it is permissible for a woman to pray outside if there is no where else available to pray.  It says, the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) said, �Allah is more deserving of one�s shame than people.�  However, I have decided I don't even want to put myself in a postion where there is a chance I will miss Salaat.  Sometimes there is not baby changing area, but just a regular public restroom.  I asked this questions because one sister told me she prayed in advance if she knew she was going to miss salaat.  I was very skeptical of this.  Anyway, I am still learning and I was told that any question I have about is Islam is not a stupid question because I want to further my knowledge about the practices of Islam.  I guess my sister will just have to understand!

I have another question in relation to your suggestion.  I work two different jobs and at one there is no where else to pray except for the locker room.  However, there is a stall in the locker room.  The stall is separated by walls, but the walls are not completely from ceiling to floor.  Outside the stall there is a sink, lockers and space to use if you need to change clothes.  I have not prayed in this area because I am unsure so I try to rush home, but sometimes I don't make it and miss Zuhr salaat.  Is it permissible to pray in such an area? 

Edited by Farrah
Henna View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2006 at 4:56am
Dear sister,
there is no advance pray. You are very right to become skeptical:)
One of the obligation of salah is the exact time. We should pray in the exact time. But of course, if we miss the salah we should pray it later. 

Actually i can't say anything about stall. Because i didn't understand exactly:) Is there any toilet in stall? (I think yes:))
As i know, we can't pray in toilets. But i am not sure about walls, maybe it's permissible in this condition.. I hope another sister or brother can answer this question.

And finally, i am very happy that you came to Islam:) Wellcome sister:)
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2006 at 6:56am

Bismillah,

When my family travels, we pray outside if it is not raining or bad weather.

If it is a busy public area where people might bother us, we pray in the car sitting down and make the motions of the salat as much as we can.

It is important to make salat where people will not go in front of you.  However, I have seen people in large rooms just put a chair in front of themselves so that no one is going directly in front of them because the chair is a small barrier. 

When we travel far distances, which is a perfectly fine thing to do, we are instructed to shorten and combine our prayers.  So we say Fajr normally.  Eth-thoher and 'Asr we say two ayats and continue after we say the Shahadah as if we were in the fourth raka, say our salaams; and then we say two more just the same for 'Asr. 

Maghrib is still three, but Aisha is two and made directly after the three of Maghrib. 

Maybe the sister meant she followed this method, which is not new, and many Muslims do this when they travel.

Congratulations on taking your Shahadah.  Post any questions you have here.  In Shah Allah, people will always help you.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2006 at 11:30am

ASSALAMU ALAIKUM

Sister Farrah, below are the Islamically correct guidelines for prayer times for performing salat. 

Fajr is to be preformed between the time of the very beginning of dawn and sunrise.

Dhuhr is to be preformed between the time of the declining of the sun and time for Asr

Asr is to be performed between the time when the shadow of an object is equivalent to its height (Hanafi method is twice the length) until just before sunset (right before time for Maghrib).

Maghrib is to be preformed between the time right after sunset and the disappearance of the twilight (right before time for performing Isha).

Isha is to be performed between the times after the disappearance of the twilight until midnight.

Given these Islamically sound guidelines, you should be able to have time to have lunch and catch a movie with your sister.  If you can find a place to pray Dhuhr right before Asr and then make Asr right when it is permissible (which would be right afterward), you could then make Maghrib right before Isha time which would give you and your sister a good 8 hours together between the time you performed Afjar and need to make Dhuhr and then a good 3.5 hours after making Asr and time to make Maghrib.  I don�t know how far you live from where you would be having lunch and going to a movie; however, Inshallah you could inform you sister of how you will be making salat in order to be able to spend the maximum amount of time doing the things she wants to do with you and she would not mind if the two of you return to your home for you to perform Dhuhr and Asr before you head back out for a movie if you were unable to catch one before that time.  I don�t know what day she is coming, where you live or what movie you are considering so I can�t help with coordinating that part, but Inshallah it will all work out fine.

I will give you an example.  Here I can do Fajr at 6:28 a.m. and then do Dhuhr at 2:45 p.m. (this gives me enough time to complete Dhuhr before time for Asr) with Asr right after at 3:06 p.m.  That gives me 8 hours between Ajar and Dhuhr.  If I wait to do Maghrib right before time to do Isha, which would require me to pray Maghrib by 6:36 p.m., I would have another 3.5 hours between prayers.  I hope that makes sense to you.  I am using my on-line Islamic Finder for the times for praying today to do this calculation.  So, you will need to do the same to calculate the time you till have between prayers and to say your prayers within the permissible times.  If you don't have one you can download one free at the following link.

www.islamicFinder.org

I know that some may say that one should not do this to make room for a movie; however, 1.) you would be praying within the times permissible for praying salat, and 2.) it is not the issue of seeing a movie but rather making time for family that is being considered, and according to Islam, keeping good family ties is important.  It is not good to make you sister anger over this issue when the times allowed for making salat allow for you to spend time with her and to leave her feeling happy about your family ties.

I am a relatively new Muslimah with non-Muslim family so I understand your situation.  Jazak Allah Khair for embracing Islam and welcome to IC.

ALLAH HAFIZ

Sister Khadija

Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
Farrah View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2006 at 6:53pm

Jazakallah Sisters for all the thoughtful advice.  Sister Khadijah, you really broke it down for me which is wonderful.  Thanks!  I know salaat is not supposed to be and is not a burden on a muslims life.  It is nice to know we can make certain conditions regarding salaat without jepordizing ourselves and committing a sin.  May Allah's Blessings and Mercy be upon you all.

Barakullahu Feeki

Edited by Farrah
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2006 at 9:57pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum sister Farrah,

Welcome to this little e-community.

Masah allah you are making sincere efforts to remain steadfast on His deen, May you rewards for all you good intentions, your efforts and the deeds, insha allah, Ameen.

Alhamdulillah you have got your answers. Just as a suggestion I would say, if you fear missing your salaat while you are watching the movie, you may consider stepping out of the movie hall for 5-7 minutes to offer your salat, then join the party.

Where there is a will there is a way sister. I have prayed on a picnic spot, in Malls, behind our parked car, in a train, in an airplane. On a particular job I have also prayed on the landing of a staircase because this staircase was on the rear end of the building, thus very much less in use, while rest of the place used to be too busy.

May allah give us hidaya to offer our salaat with khushoo, and may He accept all our worshipful obedience, Ameen.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

Edited by Nausheen
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic