IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - a Surah the like thereof  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a Surah the like thereof

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 54>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2015 at 11:49am
And the one I posted is also better...

Bad luck: Airmano
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2015 at 11:35am
Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

Ok, here it is: Based on the smallest chapter in the Quran.

1. Unique Literary Form
2. Unique Linguistic Genre
3. Abundance of rhetorical devices/features:

The first two we have already seen.  They amount to nothing more than free verse.  As for an abundance of rhetorical devices, that is a matter of opinion (what is "abundance"?), but I can find plenty of rhetorical devices in the hypothetical "sura" I quoted in my opening post, as well as the passage from the Book of the Dead and for that matter in virtually all poetry.  There is nothing unique about rhetorical devices.

So that's it?  The challenge is to produce free verse with an abundance of rhetorical devices/features?  Really?  Perhaps Shakespeare was a prophet!  LOL
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2015 at 7:29am
In case I'm mistaken: I'm still waiting for a list from your side (and not another funny link).

Well, here it is:

http://www.hamzatzortzis.com/essays-articles/exploring-the-quran/three-lines-the-changed-the-world-the-inimitability-of-the-shortest-chapter-in-the-qur%E2%80%99an/

Edited by The Saint - 02 October 2015 at 7:38am
Invite [all] to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2015 at 7:04am
I am looking forward to your list of criteria that you think defines the miracle/inimitability of the Quran.

Ok, here it is: Based on the smallest chapter in the Quran.

1. Unique Literary Form
2. Unique Linguistic Genre
3. Abundance of rhetorical devices/features:
- Emphasis
- Multiple Meaning
- Iltifaat � Grammatical shift
- Word order and Arrangement
- Ellipsis
- Conceptual Relatedness (Intertextuality)
- Intensification
- Choice of words & Particles
- Phonetics
- Semantically Orientated Repetition
- Intimacy
- Exaggeration
- Rebuke and contempt
- Conciseness
- Flexibility
- Prophesy/Factual

You can read all at: http://www.hamzatzortzis.com/essays-articles/exploring-the-quran/three-lines-the-changed-the-world-the-inimitability-of-the-shortest-chapter-in-the-qur%E2%80%99an/
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2015 at 6:59am
Ah,

you're back to the "find yourself" business ?
Next step will be another dodgy website.

Actually, I never left the said business!Someone has to tell you what you should be doing.

A propos, website, googling for "inimitable Qu'ran" yields for example: this link.

Is it this what you mean ?

No! I am surprised you could not find this:

http://www.hamzatzortzis.com/essays-articles/exploring-the-quran/three-lines-the-changed-the-world-the-inimitability-of-the-shortest-chapter-in-the-qur%E2%80%99an/
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2015 at 6:45am
Actually I've never read the Egyptian Book of the Dead, but I found this passage........................

You also find men more attractive than women.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 1:25pm
The Saint
Quote (one week ago) ...But I am in the process of putting together the criterias in terms that even you can understand.

Any progress with your criteria list ?

More than eager to see the result: Airmano

Edited by airmano - 30 September 2015 at 1:32pm
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2015 at 9:41pm
I am not really interested in the Arabic term you use to describe it.  Theists love to give names to things, and pretend they have explained it -- as if, for instance, saying that Allah created the universe somehow explains how it was created.  Okay, i'jaz ul Qur'an means "inimitability of the Quran"; but what I want to know is why you consider it inimitable.

If by "a good article at Wikipedia" you mean the one on I'jaz (in which case why didn't you link to it?), I'm afraid it isn't much help.  It lists a whole lot of conflicting opinions from a variety of scholars, without favouring one opinion over another.  That's what a good Wikipedia article should do, of course, but it doesn't help me to know what your opinion is.

I am looking forward to your list of criteria that you think defines the miracle/inimitability of the Quran.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 54>
  Share Topic