IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Verse 24:3 from the light  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Verse 24:3 from the light

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Verse 24:3 from the light
    Posted: 16 August 2015 at 2:33pm
Yusuf Ali: Let no man guilty of adultery or fornication marry and but a woman similarly guilty, or an Unbeliever: nor let any but such a man or an Unbeliever marry such a woman: to the Believers such a thing is forbidden.

I would like help exploring this in more detail to clarify its meaning and implcations in Todays world.

I hope for some patience in this as i would like to be able to follow whatever trails appear in the discussion and set others of through specific questions as a means of achieving this.

as a starter question .. in order to have need for this verse it would imply that there be living people to be still able to marry who are guilty of the adultry or fornication and who have not repented as further in the Verse it is made clear that if they repent their standing within the community is raised so they can and should now marry an upstanding muslim. So how does Stoning to death fit here even if living in a muslim country?

I know this may sound provocative but i genuinely want to explore this and feel that without people in this situation being alive any of my further questions become redundant.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2015 at 12:20pm
Stoning to death is only for married adulterers. That is if they fail to produce four witnesses and are found guilty. This is a deterrent as it would be very difficult to produce four independent witnesses of your adultery.

The verse you've quoted is for unmarried men. See the tasfir below.

* تفسير Tanw�r al-Miqb�s min Tafs�r Ibn �Abb�s
{ ٱلزَّانِي لاَ يَنكِحُ إِلاَّ زَانِيَةً أَوْ مُشْرِكَةً وَٱلزَّانِيَةُ لاَ يَنكِحُهَآ إِلاَّ زَانٍ أَوْ مُشْرِكٌ وَحُرِّمَ ذٰلِكَ عَلَى ٱلْمُؤْمِنِينَ }

(The adulterer) from the people of the Book who admits his crime (shall not marry save an adulteress) from the slaves of the people of the Book (or an idolatress) from the slaves of the Arab idolaters, (and the adulteress none shall marry save an adulterer) from the people of the Book (or an idolater) from the Arab idolaters. (All that) marrying the slaves of the people of the Book and the slaves of Arab idolaters (is forbidden unto believers) this verse was revealed about a group among the Companions of the Prophet (pbuh) who wanted to marry some slaves from the people of the Book and Arab idolaters in Medina. These slaves were known adulteresses but these prophetic Companions wanted to marry them in order to win them over. When this verse was revealed they refrained from marrying them.

http://www.altafsir.com/Tafasir.asp?tMadhNo=2&tTafsirNo=73&tSoraNo=24&tAyahNo=3&tDisplay=yes&UserProfile=0&LanguageId=2
La Ilaha IllAllah
Samuel View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2015 at 3:25pm
thank you for your help (ps i presume you mean if they do produce 4 witnesses and are therefore found guilty ) ok so if a a marriage now takes place between 2 people in this situation is the marriage still valid and complete with the normal rules of marriage and with the full protection of muslim community and who would officiate and register such a marriage?
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2015 at 3:18am
Originally posted by Samuel Samuel wrote:

thank you for your help (ps i presume you mean if they do produce 4 witnesses and are therefore found guilty ) ok so if a a marriage now takes place between 2 people in this situation is the marriage still valid and complete with the normal rules of marriage and with the full protection of muslim community and who would officiate and register such a marriage?

How would people know that these two who want to get married are fornicators? If they are not found out and if they do not admit their sins to anybody then they are free to marry. Also in Islam, a sin is a private matter between the person who commits the sin and His Maker Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala.

I suspect that marriages are happening everyday between fornicators. How could anyone stop such a thing?
La Ilaha IllAllah
Samuel View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2015 at 11:45am
ok good point but what if lets say a woman had been found and known to be a fornicator and as the penalty is not death was alive after whatever the punishment was metted out what then if she didnt repent of having done it but behaved so that she could not be accused of repeat offending and she then decided to marry an unbeliever which according to this verse would be appropriate who would marry them and would the marriage be protected and valid?
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2015 at 2:57am
You don't seem to understand the context in which this verse was revealed.

Read the tasfir very carefully.
La Ilaha IllAllah
Samuel View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2015 at 12:43pm
i understand the context but the wording of the verse clearly seems to be not only written for the context but also to set a precedent about what are to be accepted as suitable marriages. where does it imply this is written for one event in history and if such surely a shorter no as an answer would have sufficed for the companions and their plan to marry the slaves.

Or are you saying that the Quran is only applicable to the context and times revealed. I don't think this is how muslims see the Quaranic verses so the question of marriages of this sort still stands unless you can say for certain this verse is context limited and the proof of this. As a side note how much of the Quran is to be context only applied ?
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2015 at 3:38am
Originally posted by Samuel Samuel wrote:

i understand the context but the wording of the verse clearly seems to be not only written for the context but also to set a precedent about what are to be accepted as suitable marriages. where does it imply this is written for one event in history and if such surely a shorter no as an answer would have sufficed for the companions and their plan to marry the slaves.

Or are you saying that the Quran is only applicable to the context and times revealed. I don't think this is how muslims see the Quaranic verses so the question of marriages of this sort still stands unless you can say for certain this verse is context limited and the proof of this. As a side note how much of the Quran is to be context only applied ?

Look a true believer will not marry a known fornicator. Unless that believer is a truly pious person and the fornicator has sought forgiveness from Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala. Otherwise it's clearly forbidden.

I don't know what you are trying to drive here.
La Ilaha IllAllah
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic