IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Secularism and the Decline of the West  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Secularism and the Decline of the West

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 10:09am

I agree withskygazer..

It has alot to do with Chrisitianity and the church's own disconnect with Allah. It became political in a sense of owning kings, being its own government, controlling property, bankrupting people, oppressing the poor.

They sold people a bunch of man-made rules. Frankly people rebelled. How can you say that if I pay the church money I'll be saved? How does that work? People cannot stand the evangelicals who get in peoples' faces and say they will go to hell if they do not believe in Jesus Christ.  If someone told you these things you would not accept them either.

You have to look at the history to get an idea.  It is not something that developed over a decade or two. They turned away from the Church. When people want religion taken out it is because the Christian stuff is really off. The corruption was pretty intense.

For instance the Catholic Church decided not to allow priests to marry. The reason is that inheritance with through the family. So the kids (sons) would inherit the land. Thus the Church would not be the ruling land class anymore in Europe. They gave it flavorings as they were 'apostles' and should marry 'god'. Go figure. 

Then for women they were really 2nd class citizens. Virtually property. The Church demed them 2nd class by blaming the problems on women (as it was all Eve's fault for tempting Adam). Then setting up that women are either virgins or prostitutes. Not full, sexual beings. Like marry them only cause you have to.. very subtle messages that became a norm.

I think plus how you ask people a question you'll get different answers like:Do you believe in a Surpreme Being? Is different then if you believe in "God"? The word "God" I associate with the Church. I am sure for others that is likewise. Or ask what happens after we die? What do people think.. depends on how you phrase a question.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 10:43am

skygazer,

I don't think my church would be growing so quickly if no one could swallow the "nonsense" as you put it.  I remain completely respectful of the beliefs of Islam.  I ask that you do the same for me.  I do not insult the Prophets, please to not insult my beliefs.

I am not talking about a turning from Christianity, but a turning from God in general.  Even in this country, I know a number of people who are of Middle Eastern descent who are not practicing Muslims even if members of their family are. 

In this modern world, I see men and women who are continually turning from religion and from any belief in a Supreme Being.  Son or No Son. 

I have a Jewish girl I know, who insists she is only Jewish by race.  She's an atheist, she believes that God is a myth to comfort the uneducated.  Her boyfriend is an ex-christian Athiest and believes the same.  With us at the time was a man from Egypt, also an athiest even though his parents were devout muslims.  They had disowned him.  They were with a group of students that I was with in Moscow back in 1997.  Almost 9 years later, they still all have the same attitudes about God and rationality.

The question becomes, why?  They are from different demographics of race, religion and country, yet they have all rationalized that God doesn't exist and we are a result of a cosmic coincidence.

Why is this trend growing so quickly in Europe?

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 2:22pm

Angela my apologies to any Muslims here who have disrespected your faith. Hayfa with all due respect you show no justice in the propagation of Islam by denouncing Christianity like that. We Muslims know that yes we have some disagreements with Christianity but our goal is the same: The union with God, the Lord of the universe. I'm quite sick of hearing Muslims judge others when there are some Muslims here who don't practice their faith and we end up being hypocrites. Hayfa if you pray five times a day including doing your Obligatory and other prayers and are commissioned by God to judge then by all means do so, but please do not judge here. I only say this in the friendly sense.

Angela Skygazer has no religion and therefore is chaotic in his/her belief, he she thinks that religion is superstition and is the very ideal person for this article. The reason people are forgetting God is because they are losing the battle of remembrance. When one loses this battle then the war on remembering God is lost until a battle can be won by remembrance. In order to win such a war the individual must be aware through the actions of the rleigious congregation. I belioeve the churches of Europe are perhaps too much traditional, rather many defenders of religious faith should propagate their faith in unorthodox fashion. Some in New England have used the idea of going into Pubs and talking about Jesus there.

I believe that when we start in areas not ideal to the average congreagtionlist I believe we can make a small difference. But like I said before if we want to change on a grandscale then a catestrophic event has to happen which effetcs the lives of millions of people like 9/11 did. Either something like that or close to it.

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 2:39pm

Change has to come gradually and it has to start in the home. A couple needs to focus on their children and their faith.  Children do what their parents do. 

I see it all the time.  Families who don't focus on having faith breaking apart at the seams.  Maybe its because I'm in Utah now I see a great deal more people exercising their faith.

One thing that awes me about Islam is the focus of the family.  The simplicity in the message.  The devotion of those who truly believe and want to better themselves.

My egyptian friend I mentioned that was an athiest told me I was an idiot for believing in God.  I told him that if I was wrong, no harm had come to me because I believed.  If anything my quality of life has been better when I believe than it was during those dark years where God wasn't part of my life.

Our missionaries all over the world are finding people who are hungering for the Gospel and for God.  Why then are the churches and synagogues and mosques so empty? 

I think you might have a point on the older churches being caught up in traditions and stagnation. 

skygazer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skygazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2006 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Angela Skygazer has no religion and therefore is chaotic in his/her belief, he she thinks that religion is superstition and is the very ideal person for this article.

wrong again. I never said religion is superstition. And I'm not chaotic in my belief at all.

God is available to everyone; God is the hub of a wheel and we are the spokes. Each person has a different perspective and each travels a different path but if we keep focused on the hub (God) we all end up in the same place.

I have respect for Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, and lots of other religions. Some forms of Christianity are OK too; just the ones that think they're the only ones who God cares about are really, really offensive.

So don't put words in my mouth, puhleeze.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2006 at 3:43am
Originally posted by Angela Angela wrote:

Our missionaries all over the world are finding people who are hungering for the Gospel and for God.  Why then are the churches and synagogues and mosques so empty?   

I think people realise that they can believe in God and have faith without going to some kind of temple.

In Europe, if you think people aren't religious or not believe in God in general is because the numbers are down in churches, mosques or synagues or other temples, I think is unrealistic, you do not know what they do in their homes.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2006 at 7:36pm

Skygazer then accept my apologies then.

Angel I believe the article is not discussing why people aren't going to church, but the collective spiritual decrease in the whole of that society. The same truth can be said about American pre 9/11. Before 9/11 the attendance in the churches were down but after 9/11 there was I believe a 60% increase in congregations. To me that is "unreal" because it took a catastrophe to make people remember God. I understand that you believe people don't need to congregate at a temple just to remember God but I believe that it helps because it can in some ways stabilize the familiarity of that union with God by watching the examples of other members. I also believe that, this uniformity can be helpful to people because they can count on each other to pull each other through spiritual crisis. If you don't have this you cannot always make it in religion.

skygazer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skygazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2006 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Skygazer then accept my apologies then.

Accepted. And my apologies for our previous exchange in the general forum.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic