IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Al-Ahzab 33:72  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Al-Ahzab 33:72

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murid55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Al-Ahzab 33:72
    Posted: 20 June 2015 at 10:19pm
We offered the trust to the heavens, and the earth, and the mountains: and the refused to undertake it, and were afraid of it; but the human being undertook it � but surely, he has been unjust to himself, and foolish [33:72}.

Salaam all, I'm trying to understand this ayah in the Al-Quran. Is there any Scholar amongst us here who can shed light on its meaning, please? I'm curious about what this 'trust' is, and why by taking it, man has been "unjust to himself and foolish".

Thank you so much in advance.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2015 at 2:26am
تفسير Tafsir al-Jalalayn
Indeed We offered the Trust � [the obligation to] prayer and other matters which, when performed, result in reward and when neglected, result in punishment � to the heavens and the earth and the mountains, and created in them the power of comprehension and speech [at the time of that offer], but they refused to bear it and were apprehensive of it; but man, Adam, undertook it, when it was offered to him. Truly he is a wrongdoer, to his own soul because of what he undertook, ignorant, of [the responsibility that comes with] it �

* تفسير Tanw�r al-Miqb�s min Tafs�r Ibn �Abb�s
(Lo! We offered the trust) obedience and worship (unto the heavens) unto the inhabitants of the heavens (and the earth and the hills) by way of choice and selection, (but they shrank from bearing it) through reward and punishment (and were afraid of it) and were afraid of bearing it. (And man assumed it) Adam assumed it, accepting both the possibility of reward and punishment. (Lo! he hath proved a tyrant) by assuming its bearing; it is also said that this means: he has proved a tyrant by eating from the tree (and a fool) and ignorant of its consequence.
La Ilaha IllAllah
murid55 View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murid55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2015 at 10:09am
Thank you so much for your prompt reply!

Although I'm reflecting - wasn't free will granted to Adam from the start? As opposed to Angels who follow Allah SWT's commands unquestioningly because they don't have a choice? (The only exceptions here being Harut and Marut which were tested). Or do Angels too have a choice, but never transgress because they don't dare to?

I can understand why, in disobeying Allah SWT's commands, we have proven to be foolish. For our souls are meant to completely submit unquestioningly - which will then be in harmony with all/ doing justice to ourselves. But, I don't understand how in taking up this challenge/ trust of striving to prove ourselves worthy of Allah's mercy whilst living, we are doing ourselves injustice. Unless it is insinuating, that it is nearly impossible, and therefore almost a certain failure for most? :\

Hope you understand my query. Thank you so much, in advance!

Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2015 at 2:35am
Originally posted by murid55 murid55 wrote:

Although I'm reflecting - wasn't free will granted to Adam from the start? As opposed to Angels who follow Allah SWT's commands unquestioningly because they don't have a choice? (The only exceptions here being Harut and Marut which were tested). Or do Angels too have a choice, but never transgress because they don't dare to?

By the way, I am not a scholar.

Angels do not have a free will they follow whatever Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala commands them to do.

In the Qur'an Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala tells us that the two angels Harut and Marut did not transgress but the people transgressed. This is because they were sent as a test for the people and instead of staying away from magic they wanted to learn/practice it.

I can understand why, in disobeying Allah SWT's commands, we have proven to be foolish. For our souls are meant to completely submit unquestioningly - which will then be in harmony with all/ doing justice to ourselves. But, I don't understand how in taking up this challenge/ trust of striving to prove ourselves worthy of Allah's mercy whilst living, we are doing ourselves injustice. Unless it is insinuating, that it is nearly impossible, and therefore almost a certain failure for most? :\

No human being can fully appraise Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala because every soul transgresses. This is the reason all the other creation of Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala were afraid to take up the challenge. It is a great responsibility and mankind has ever been neglectful.

The majority of human kind will be in hell because we have collectively failed the challenge.

[/QUOTE]
La Ilaha IllAllah
Al Ghuraba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Ghuraba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2015 at 7:13am
Originally posted by murid55 murid55 wrote:

Hope you understand my query. Thank you so much, in advance!

Salam aleikum! I found this in the tafsir of Ibn Kathir (RA):

Quote Ibn Kathir�s tafsir � Surah Ahzab 33:72:

�Al-`Awfi reported that Ibn `Abbas said, �Al-Amanah means obedience. This was offered to them before it was offered to Adam, and they could not bear it. Then Allah said to Adam: `I have offered the Amanah to the heavens and the earth and the mountains, and they could not bear it. Will you take it on� He said, `O Lord, what does it involve� He said, `If you do good, you will be rewarded, and if you do evil, you will be punished.� So Adam took the Amanah and bore it, and this is what is referred to in the Ayah:

﴿وَحَمَلَهَا الإِنْسَـنُ إِنَّهُ كَانَ ظَلُوماً جَهُولاً﴾

(But man bore it. Verily, he was unjust and ignorant.)� `Ali bin Abi Talhah reported that Ibn `Abbas said, �Al-Amanah means Al-Fara�id (the obligatory duties). Allah offered them to the heavens and the earth and the mountains, (on the grounds that) if they fulfilled them, He would reward them; and if they failed, He would punish them. But they did not want to do that, and they were afraid of it, not because their intention was sinful, but because of their respect for the religion of Allah, in case they could not fulfill the obligations involved. Then Allah offered it to Adam, and he accepted it with all that it entailed. �

So, yes, God did offer Adam (AS) free-will from the start. God offered it, and Adam (AS) accepted it. God said what would happen if he failed, be he took it anyway. That explains why Allah (SWT) calls us "unjust and foolish", because we had/have no idea what this "free-will" means. We say we understand, but do we really? Adam (AS) accepted this "challenge", because we, humans, love challenges. It's in our nature. So basically, Allah (SWT) created us with free-will, because He knew that Adam (AS) would accept His offer.

This "challenge" is obedience. We can choose to disobey, because of our free-will. We can also choose to obey. We know what the consequences are for both. Adam (AS) also knew this (God explained him), and he accepted it, because the nature of the human being is that we want the best of the best (rewards, leading to Eternal Paradise). So when God offered him Paradise for his good deeds, he didn't really think about what would happen if I failed. No, his heart was attached to Paradise. Hence, making him "foolish" for not understanding. But we WILL understand on the Day of Judgement. If you have any more questions about this, then ask.

Yes, Angels do NOT have free-will. So, if you don't have a free-will, you cannot disobey. Angels are the TRUE slaves/servants of Allah (SWT). When we, as humans, submit to the Will of God, then we are slaves/servants in that field. We will never be the same as the Angels, because we make mistakes, and we sin. Yet, the Believers (human or jinn) are the best of creation, because we are the ones who are in a test.

Harut and Marut were not tested. They tested the people. Here is a video about them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt_Usd_2F9Y

We are doing ourselves injustice when we don't wake up to the reality that this "test" is very serious. We haven't realised yet. We are being unjust towards ourselves, because of us not realising this, we will pay the consequence for this, hence making us foolish for not doing anything about it. We have a chance to change our own very lives, yet most of us don't.

Only God knows how many people will be in Hellfire, and how many people will be in Paradise. I think, personally (you don't have to agree with me here), that most of us will enter Paradise. If not, then Iblees was right, wasn't he? This could never be.

If you have any more questions, or you want to ask other questions, then feel free to reply.

May Allah (SWT) guide us.

EDIT: I want to say one last thing, to make it clearer. The reason why God asked/offered Adam (AS) that challenge, is because He is Just. Just imagine. If God didn't ask Adam (AS) about if he wants to accept this challenge, and just "forced" him, then Adam (AS), and also every single human being, can say the excuse (on the Day of Judgement): "Oh Lord, why haven't you asked us if we WANT free-will?" That's an excuse for why we would fail. And God would've accepted that excuse, because it's a good one. But yet, God DID offer us free-will, and we accepted it, so therefore, we cannot have the excuse of saying that we "were not asked". That would make Allah (SWT) unjust for not asking, authobillah. But He did ask us, therefore making him The Just, which is one of His 99 attributes/titles/names. God KNEW that we would accept this offer, but He asked it anyway, to show us that when we fail, WE fail. And you can ONLY blame yourself, not God, because He offered it us. So therefore, God was not unjust, be we were, just like the verse said. If you want me to explain more, then ask me.

Edited by Al Ghuraba - 24 September 2015 at 7:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic