IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dating a Muslim Man During Ramadan  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dating a Muslim Man During Ramadan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimberd99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dating a Muslim Man During Ramadan
    Posted: 19 June 2015 at 8:40pm
السلام عليكم و رمضان موبارك

Hello Ladies,

I'm from the US and grew up Christian, I studied in Palestine, where I learned much of the language and an acceptance and deep respect for the religion. I am however agnostic.

I started dating a guy from Iraq this past year and he's muslim. Over the past year, I've known he believes in the faith and customs but he's much more liberal, and I've never even seen him pray. Its now ramadan and he's gone completely a wall with it. I had many friends in palestine and most guys I knew didn't fast, and if they did, they'd stay up all night and sleep all day so they could eat and drink.

My boyfriend won't look at me, won't talk to me. I always understood it as not giving into sexual desires - so no kissing and definately no sex. But I've had an awful week, one thing after another has happened to me in relation to job, health issues etc and he will hardly look at me, he says he cannot discuss emotions.
I am very accepting, I really am, but for him to not even contact me I was not expecting and I'm completely heartbroken. is this how men are supposed to behave?

Edited by kimberd99 - 19 June 2015 at 8:44pm
Jannahgoals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jannahgoals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2015 at 1:31am
"There is no truth to this fashion of non-Mahrams being just good friends. Getting into such atainted �friendship��will only cause problems on multiple levels. A person may be able to control their thoughts and desires, but after repeatedly meeting a non-Mahram in an unstructured setting to spend time as friends, the battle against the self becomes increasingly difficult.�
However, mixing with non-Mahrams and going out of our way to spend time with them obviously defies those ideals of Hijab. It�s as simple as this: brothers and sisters who are not Mahram to each other are not supposed to interact when there is no point in doing so, and any interaction that does take place is supposed to be done in a professional manner. Conclusively, the idea of non-Mahram guys and girls spending time together as �friends� is not endorsed by Islam.
Also, we need to realize that being Muslim doesn�t make us immune to falling into sin. Just because a sister wears a headscarf and a brother sports a beard does not mean it is okay for them to become friends. As Muslims, we are instructed to follow guidelines for our own benefit, and in this situation too there is wisdom. Just as we are to abstain from sitting at a table that has alcohol bottles on it and just as we are to abstain from listening to music, we are to abstain from developing non-Mahram friendships because of the greater sins that we could be led to commit.�

Of course, living in the West, there are times when non-Mahrams do interact � but there is a difference between how we do so with our colleagues and with our friends. We interact on a regular basis with our colleagues regarding the work that has brought us together on a professional level."

If you want to get to know them, it should be done without being alone with the person and it shouldn't go beyond permissible topics.�
Aziza25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aziza25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2018 at 3:12pm
agreed completely with the message above until "and any interaction that does take place is supposed to be done in a professional manner.". I am wondering where did you get this from? can you enlighten me with some ayah that says that?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic