IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Just converted to Islam. Questions about dress  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just converted to Islam. Questions about dress

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just converted to Islam. Questions about dress
    Posted: 03 June 2015 at 7:25am
Hi, I am 16 and just converted to Islam on Monday [IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" align="middle" /> . My muslim friends went with me to the mosque and were my witnesses when I converted with help from the imam. I am trying to pray the 5 times daily as we are told by Allah and the prophet (pboh). But I have some questions on how we are supposed to dress. I know that we are supposed to wear hijab and cover our bodies. But I've read different things on different sites and have been told different things. I have been told that we only need to cover our head, neck and cleavage with a headscarf as long as everything else is covered. Then ive read on other sites that hijab isn't just a headcovering but for the whole body and I would need to wear a niqab as well. From what I'm reading is this version of an abaya is supposed to cover everything. What is correct for me to wear? I am so confused. Also, at 16
, am I required to at least wear the headcovering or when should I start? Recommendations please. Thanks

Edited by candice - 07 June 2015 at 5:49pm
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2015 at 10:55pm
Salam/Peace,
Congratulation! May Allah, God almighty will strengthen your faith in Islam, and make it easy for you. Amiin.
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2015 at 11:12am
Originally posted by candice candice wrote:

Hi, I am 16 and just converted to Islam on Monday [IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" align="middle" /> . My muslim friends went with me to the mosque and were my witnesses when I converted with help from the imam. I am trying to pray the 5 times daily as we are told by Allah and the prophet (pboh). But I have some questions on how we are supposed to dress. I know that we are supposed to wear hijab and cover our bodies. But I've read different things on different sites and have been told different things. I have been told that we only need to cover our head, neck and cleavage with a headscarf as long as everything else is covered. Then ive read on other sites that hijab isn't just a headcovering but for the whole body and I would need to wear a niqab as well. From what I'm reading is this version of an abaya is supposed to cover everything. What is correct for me to wear? I am so confused. Also, at 14, am I required to at least wear the headcovering or when should I start? Recommendations please. Thanks

Asalaamu Alaykum sis

When you are out and about or with people who are not your immediate family (Mehram) then you should cover your whole body except your face and hands.

When you are praying at home then use your discretion but cover up remembering that you are standing in front of your Maker.

Niqab is not an Islamic necessity but a personal preference for most women.
La Ilaha IllAllah
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2015 at 10:47pm
Do it gradually. Don't be hurry. First try whatever you feel comfortable, that you can handle, then try to improve it. Because "crash program" usually also "crash".
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

candice View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2015 at 5:47pm
Salam. Thank you for the replies so far. I'm trying to wear my hijab more often in public. Ive mainly been wearing it around the house. I've never had anyone give me advice on how to wear one or or on fabrics. Do you know of any good tutorials I can watch on youtube or of any good sites that talk about this topic? Thanks again.
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2015 at 11:16pm
Salam/Peace,

Semar

candice View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2015 at 9:44am
Thanks for the link.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic