IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Youth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - getting religious again  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

getting religious again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilhamvirgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: getting religious again
    Posted: 30 December 2005 at 10:09am

I wanna know what people can do if they feel they are loosing their faith, or they feel they don't give importance to religion any more. Especially if the concerned person doesn't like this state and feels annoyed.

aishag88 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aishag88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 7:59pm

Asalaam Alikum,

Everyone feels that way in some point of there lifes, and insha'Allah they can get out of it.

Try doing dhikr, and salat.

Do you think you are loosing your faith? or are you just asking this question because you want to? i don't what else to say in less you give me some more details ( you can pm me if you want)

To Allah is our return
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2006 at 3:18am

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

The following points are taken from a longer response on a similar problem,  addressed by a scholar.

Al-Haakim reported in al-Mustadrak, and al-Tabaraani reported in al-Mu�jam, that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: �Faith wears out in the heart of any one of you just as clothes wear out, so ask Allaah to renew the faith in your hearts.� (Reported by al-Haakim in al-Mustadrak, 1/4;. Al-Haythami said in Majma� al-Zawaa�id, 1/52, �It was reported by al-Tabaraani in al-Kabeer and its isnaad is saheeh.�) This Hadith tells us that our faith will become weak but we will have to strengthen it with various actions and different good deeds. If we try to implement the following, Insha Allah it will help us all.

• On a weekly basis, try to attend some Halaqah or an Islamic gathering. That is a great way of keeping the battery of Iman and actions charged.

• A good suggestion would be that you join some weekend or evening Islamic course or something of that sort. You will find good company there which will be a means of strengthening your faith and Iman. And when you feel like you are all �burnt out�, there will be others there who will guide you and help you out and get you back up on your feet again.

• Try to read some portion of the Quran everyday and make Zikr of Allah. It will not be a bad idea to start off the day by reciting Surah Yaseen.

• Try to have a daily Halaqah of reading from a Hadith book at home. The most widely used Hadith book in English is probably Riyadh us Salihin. Set aside a time at home, and try to sit down with other family members. It does not have to be long. Even five minutes or ten minutes will suffice. A daily dose of the words of Allah and his beloved Prophet Sallallahu Alaihe Wasallam goes a long way in keeping us attached to our faith.

• After prayers or whenever, try to recite as many times as possible the words which are mentioned in the following Hadith: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: �Do not forget to say in every prayer, �Rabbi a�inni �ala dhikrika wa shukrika wa husni �ibaadatika (O Allah, help me to remember You, thank You and worship You properly.).�� (al-Nasaa�i, 1303)

• Sometimes we commit sins which eventually make us weak in our faith. Islam will prevent us from sins....or sins will prevent us from Islam. Repenting over past sins will not be a bad idea at all. The way we have a habit of sinning, the same way, as soon as a sin is committed, we should make a habit of seeking forgiveness for our sins. We should never procrastinate because death could over take us anytime.

• You also must understand that we all go through these weaknesses. We all have those moments when we don�t feel like doing anything Islamic. Faith increases and decreases. This is natural and it will happen many times in our lives.

• It is important to know that if a decrease in faith leads to one neglecting one�s duties or doing Haram deeds, this slackening is very serious and one must repent to Allah and start to do something about it at once. If it does not lead to neglect of duties and doing Haram deeds, but just makes a person fall short in doing Mustahabb (recommended) deeds, for example, then a person still needs to know how to sort herself out and correct herself until she returns to the proper level of energy and strength in worship. This is what we learn from the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), �Every deed has energy and strength, and then this energy and strength is followed by a slackening, so who�s slackening is in accordance to my Sunnah he will be fine, and who�s slackening is to other than that [i.e., doing unlawful or forbidden deeds] he will be doomed.� (Reported by Ahmad, 2/210; Saheeh al-Targheeb, no. 55).
    Read up on the benefits of performing Salat and harms of not performing them. Read those Ahadith again and again. Read up on the bounties of Paradise and Punishments of the Hell fire.
    Remember the breaker of worldly pleasures i.e. death. Daqaq (R.A.) says, �Who ever remembers death frequently, will benefit in three ways: he will hasten to repent, he will become content, and he will be active in worship. Whoever forgets death will be punished in three ways: he will delay repentance, he will no longer be content with what is sufficient, and he will be lazy in worship.�

May Allah give you success in strenghtening of Iman, insha allah. ameen.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2006 at 3:27am

Another advice taken from similar sources...

02.153 �O you who believe! Seek help in steadfastness and prayer. Lo! Allah is with the steadfast.�

As for when one fears non-acceptance when they find hardness of heart and weakness in resolve, then one should make remembrance of Allah and istighfar (seeking forgiveness). It has been related in a hadith from the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) that he said,

Truly, hearts rust just as iron rusts, and their polishing is La ilaha illa Allah (�There is no god but Allah�) and seeking forgiveness.�

Thus, if a Muslim seeks to polish their heart, they should adhere to the remembrance of Allah until their heart is purified and illumined.

As for loss of motivation, this is natural to the human temperament, and is the reason why the acts of good and worship are variegated�so that the lower selves of creation not get weary. Thus, if one finds weakness in one�s resolve, then move to another type of good, while being wary�when given success�not to take on too many voluntary acts of worship, lest this lead to loss of motivation and a sense of being fed up. Allah Most High enjoined upon us certain obligations which we cannot leave. After this, He encouraged us to supererogatory works from which we should take that which our selves can handle, sustain, and remain avid for the good.

[/COLOR]
Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2006 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Nausheen Nausheen wrote:

The following points are taken from a longer response on a similar problem,  addressed by a scholar.

Al-Haakim reported in al-Mustadrak, and al-Tabaraani reported in al-Mu�jam, that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: �Faith wears out in the heart of any one of you just as clothes wear out, so ask Allaah to renew the faith in your hearts.� (Reported by al-Haakim in al-Mustadrak, 1/4;. Al-Haythami said in Majma� al-Zawaa�id, 1/52, �It was reported by al-Tabaraani in al-Kabeer and its isnaad is saheeh.�) This Hadith tells us that our faith will become weak but we will have to strengthen it with various actions and different good deeds. If we try to implement the following, Insha Allah it will help us all.

• On a weekly basis, try to attend some Halaqah or an Islamic gathering. That is a great way of keeping the battery of Iman and actions charged.

• A good suggestion would be that you join some weekend or evening Islamic course or something of that sort. You will find good company there which will be a means of strengthening your faith and Iman. And when you feel like you are all �burnt out�, there will be others there who will guide you and help you out and get you back up on your feet again.

• Try to read some portion of the Quran everyday and make Zikr of Allah. It will not be a bad idea to start off the day by reciting Surah Yaseen.

• Try to have a daily Halaqah of reading from a Hadith book at home. The most widely used Hadith book in English is probably Riyadh us Salihin. Set aside a time at home, and try to sit down with other family members. It does not have to be long. Even five minutes or ten minutes will suffice. A daily dose of the words of Allah and his beloved Prophet Sallallahu Alaihe Wasallam goes a long way in keeping us attached to our faith.

• After prayers or whenever, try to recite as many times as possible the words which are mentioned in the following Hadith: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: �Do not forget to say in every prayer, �Rabbi a�inni �ala dhikrika wa shukrika wa husni �ibaadatika (O Allah, help me to remember You, thank You and worship You properly.).�� (al-Nasaa�i, 1303)

• Sometimes we commit sins which eventually make us weak in our faith. Islam will prevent us from sins....or sins will prevent us from Islam. Repenting over past sins will not be a bad idea at all. The way we have a habit of sinning, the same way, as soon as a sin is committed, we should make a habit of seeking forgiveness for our sins. We should never procrastinate because death could over take us anytime.

• You also must understand that we all go through these weaknesses. We all have those moments when we don�t feel like doing anything Islamic. Faith increases and decreases. This is natural and it will happen many times in our lives.

• It is important to know that if a decrease in faith leads to one neglecting one�s duties or doing Haram deeds, this slackening is very serious and one must repent to Allah and start to do something about it at once. If it does not lead to neglect of duties and doing Haram deeds, but just makes a person fall short in doing Mustahabb (recommended) deeds, for example, then a person still needs to know how to sort herself out and correct herself until she returns to the proper level of energy and strength in worship. This is what we learn from the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), �Every deed has energy and strength, and then this energy and strength is followed by a slackening, so who�s slackening is in accordance to my Sunnah he will be fine, and who�s slackening is to other than that [i.e., doing unlawful or forbidden deeds] he will be doomed.� (Reported by Ahmad, 2/210; Saheeh al-Targheeb, no. 55).
    Read up on the benefits of performing Salat and harms of not performing them. Read those Ahadith again and again. Read up on the bounties of Paradise and Punishments of the Hell fire.
    Remember the breaker of worldly pleasures i.e. death. Daqaq (R.A.) says, �Who ever remembers death frequently, will benefit in three ways: he will hasten to repent, he will become content, and he will be active in worship. Whoever forgets death will be punished in three ways: he will delay repentance, he will no longer be content with what is sufficient, and he will be lazy in worship.�

May Allah give you success in strenghtening of Iman, insha allah. ameen.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

As Salam Alaikum sister Nausheen,

JazakAllah khair.  Surely these are the best things to do.

Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2006 at 6:27am

Assalamualikum wa rahmatullah,

Wa iyakum Knowledge1,

I am glad to see you are frequenting the boards regularly. I had once promised to share something on repentance, which I have not yet been able to write. Please forgive me. Now that I have a slightly better schedule than in all these past months, insha allah I shall be posting a number of things and this is on my agenda.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

[/COLOR]
truemuslim21 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truemuslim21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2006 at 5:25pm

Assalm-u-Alykum,

i live in USA. and the best way i think to keep our Iman stron is to read namaz regularly. i work and go to school but i pray Qizaa namaz . andi read Sura, Yaseen alot . so, since i am  living in an Islamic country, i still have strong faith. KH

truemuslim21 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truemuslim21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2006 at 5:27pm
not*
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic