IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - English translations of Qur’an  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

English translations of Qur’an

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yusuf. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2005 at 10:07am

Assalamu alaikum,

As far as I know Cleary is not a Muslim, but many Islamic sites I trust have unanimously stated that this translation is the most accurate representation of the original text yet produced. Cleary is an Arabic and Islamic scholar who is widely respected in the Muslim world for his work with Classical Arabic texts. From what little I have read of this translation, I agree that he devoted all his knowledge to producing a clear and accurate English translation.

Akhi Mustafa, so good to hear from you. My life has become very difficult of late, and I am facing perhaps the greatest crisis in my earthly life at the moment. Please offer du'a that I have the strength to endure this time Insha'Allah.

Yusuf
Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2005 at 7:00pm

I have been reading from Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali and Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan's translation with the added commentary and have found it is one of the best when compared to others.  I have also compared it to Abdullah Yusuf Ali's translation and have found it's very similiar.  I have heard most muslims, especially Imaams say they prefer Abdullah Yusuf Ali's translation over all.

I also read somewhere that Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali and Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan's translation is highly used by and considered biased by the shia sect.  I was wondering if anybody could comment on that??

naveed View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naveed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2005 at 7:59pm
Hilali/Muhsin Khan's translation is based on Abdullah Yusuf Ali's. It was written to correct the errors in the Yusuf Ali translation. There is a book documenting most of these errors. I think it was simply called something like "Errors in Yusuf Ali's translation of the Quran".
Mustafaa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustafaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2005 at 3:29am
Originally posted by Yusuf. Yusuf. wrote:

Assalamu alaikum,

As far as I know Cleary is not a Muslim, but many Islamic sites I trust have unanimously stated that this translation is the most accurate representation of the original text yet produced. Cleary is an Arabic and Islamic scholar who is widely respected in the Muslim world for his work with Classical Arabic texts. From what little I have read of this translation, I agree that he devoted all his knowledge to producing a clear and accurate English translation.

Akhi Mustafa, so good to hear from you. My life has become very difficult of late, and I am facing perhaps the greatest crisis in my earthly life at the moment. Please offer du'a that I have the strength to endure this time Insha'Allah.

Thank you, brother, for the explanation about the translation. I will advise the library of the university that I attend to get it.

May Allah give you the best help in this time of crisis and give you all the strength that you need so that will you get out of this test in the best way.

There is no deity but Allah. Muhammad is the (last) Messenger of Allah.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2005 at 3:54am

Thanks so much everyone for all the comments and suggestions!

Yusuf, I will also offer du'a for you.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2005 at 9:20am

Originally posted by naveed naveed wrote:

Hilali/Muhsin Khan's translation is based on Abdullah Yusuf Ali's. It was written to correct the errors in the Yusuf Ali translation. There is a book documenting most of these errors. I think it was simply called something like "Errors in Yusuf Ali's translation of the Quran".

There has been several different volumes of Abdullah Yusuf Ali's english Quran.  I would think he would correct mistakes as another volume became published, correct?

He also has, which I have in my possession right now, "The meaning of the Holy Quran" which is different from the other books because it does not provide Ahadith to explain certain verses of the Quran.  There are explanations, but they are in his words, with no proof. 

Yusuf. View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yusuf. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2005 at 3:40pm
Jazak Allah Khairun for the dua, dear brothers and sisters. Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala has brought me through this crisis and a new phase of my life on this earth has begun.
Yusuf
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2005 at 7:08pm

Yusuf,

Al hamdulillah!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic