IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - English translations of Qur’an  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

English translations of Qur’an

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2005 at 5:57am
My favorite is a PALM copy of the Yusuf Ali translation. The PALM limits
reading to a few verses, which I find better for meditation.

DavidC
naveed View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naveed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2005 at 12:03pm

I would recommend the "Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali & Muhammad Muhsin Khan translation". As you probably know, a translation is only someone's understanding of the meaning. And something I recently learnt is that a translation also is limited by time, in the sense that something translation today, will not make too much sense, say a hundred years from now.

Like you, I don't know Arabic and I need to learn. I really wish there were some good free online Arabic teaching sites.

Mustafaa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustafaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2005 at 4:43am
Originally posted by Yusuf. Yusuf. wrote:

Assalamu alaikum,

I have not had a chance to read it but many are saying that this new translation is the most accurate to date:

http://www.masud.co.uk/shopping/cleary_quran.htm

Wa alaykum as-salaam, brother,

Is Thomas Cleary Muslim? If the translation is good, then there's not much problem. But in my opinion, there's always a bit of difference between translations by Muslims and non-Muslims; I am in favour of Muslim translators.

By the way, I am Mustafa Ugur (Ibn Salim). How are you, brother?

Edited by Mustafaa
There is no deity but Allah. Muhammad is the (last) Messenger of Allah.
blond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2005 at 5:38am
Originally posted by Mustafaa Mustafaa wrote:

Originally posted by Yusuf. Yusuf. wrote:

Assalamu alaikum,

I have not had a chance to read it but many are saying that this new translation is the most accurate to date:

http://www.masud.co.uk/shopping/cleary_quran.htm

Wa alaykum as-salaam, brother,

Is Thomas Cleary Muslim? If the translation is good, then there's not much problem. But in my opinion, there's always a bit of difference between translations by Muslims and non-Muslims; I am in favour of Muslim translators.

By the way, I am Mustafa Ugur (Ibn Salim). How are you, brother?

Mustafa,

I agree with you.

Western translators, even the earlier ones who claimed to be Moslem, altered the meanings drastically in their translations. Some removed the numbering of Ayats.

I believe it is best to learn to read Quran and get away from Tafsir.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2005 at 5:48am

Yes, of course it is BETTER to learn to read the Qur'an in the original Arabic.  But where does that leave those of us with "defective brains" who have far too hard a time learning it?  Are we just left out?  Surely there must be some translation of the meaning that comes at least close to the original.  Really, only those who can read and understand Arabic and English can answer this question.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, but I am still left wondering my original question: which english translation is considered good?

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
blond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2005 at 6:22am
Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

Yes, of course it is BETTER to learn to read the Qur'an in the original Arabic.  But where does that leave those of us with "defective brains" who have far too hard a time learning it?  Are we just left out?  Surely there must be some translation of the meaning that comes at least close to the original.  Really, only those who can read and understand Arabic and English can answer this question.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, but I am still left wondering my original question: which english translation is considered good?

Peace, ummziba.

You are not defective.

I have not seen a real push to help people learn the Arabic language, as much as the Arab culture.

I began by studying several Tafsir simultaneously, along with several dictionaries; both Arabic and English.

Then, I started learning the Arabic characters.

Then, I learned to put them together.

Then, I studied several courses on the Arabic language.

Then, I studied a course on the Quran.

Now I read it daily in the Arabic and it is far different than just relying on tafsir.

Thank you.

Edited by blond
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2005 at 5:22am

I am happy for you Blond, that you were able to learn Arabic.  I have studied for years, with a real Arab teacher.  I have a disease that affects my memory.  I'm not lazy or looking for excuses.  I do have a defective brain.  It would be good to know that the english I am reading is at least close to the word of Allah.

Still, I will plug away, Allah willing, I will at least be blessed for trying.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2005 at 9:09am

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah

Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

Still, I will plug away, Allah willing, I will at least be blessed for trying.

Insha allah sister, it is said in a hadith that one who has a difficulty in reading is rewarded twice as much as one who can read with ease

Rewards are with intentions,  so keep trying, He will make it easy for you insha allah.

I am sorry to learn about your situation. If it is hard for you, stay with the translations. There is a great deal of understanding in these as well. In which case it would be good to follow the tafsir too.

There are some good tafsir translations also available.

May allah help you and reward you for all your intentions and efforts.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic