IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > World Politics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - living in a free and stable country  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

living in a free and stable country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2015 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

For those (like me) who aren't willing to invest a half hour into an audio file, the transcript is here:
http://www.focusonthefamily.com/media/daily-broadcast/my-dramatic-conversion-from-islam-pt1

Frankly though, I'm not sure what the topic is.  I didn't see much in the interview about "living in a free and stable country" (maybe it's in part two?).  Here is what Tass Saada, the subject of the interview, said about what changed his plans (italics added):

Quote Jim: Think of that! But what prevented you from carrying out that plan? So you married Karen; you applied; you're getting your paperwork. What went right?

Tass: She's a good girl, and when I met Karen she had a five-week old baby boy. And she was dating a Persian guy and when I met her and she brought the baby with her, I fell in love with that baby immediately. ... It turned out that I was worse than the other guy in the way I've lived my life with my wife and then we had a girl, my daughter, Farrah. And that was it, I couldn't leave my kids.

Jim: So that changed your mind, having your daughter--

Tass: Totally, totally.

In short, suddenly he had something, and someone, to love for. Smile

Hi Ron,

What I was struck by was how he shared the fact that his anger came from always being made to feel an outsider in other societies, and when he came to the United States he was struck by how he was not treated that way... it is essentially what won his heart... not the girl...  the fact that he was not treated as less than, just because he came from another place.

For me the topic is about equality and acceptance... being treated with equal respect... and what a difference it makes.

Anger is the enemy, and his anger dissipated once he arrived in the United States and saw how people treated him.

asalaam and blessings,
Caringheart
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2015 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

What I was struck by was how he shared the fact that his anger came from always being made to feel an outsider in other societies, and when he came to the United States he was struck by how he was not treated that way... it is essentially what won his heart... not the girl...  the fact that he was not treated as less than, just because he came from another place.

Yes, I think there is some truth in that as well.  It reminds me of Ayaan Hirsi Ali's description of arriving in the Netherlands and being absolutely amazed at how complete strangers treated her with courtesy and respect.  Even the government officials actually seemed to care about her and were willing to help her, without any tribal connection or religious obligation or expectation of bribery.  And we do take that sort of thing for granted, don't we?  It's hard to imagine living in a society that doesn't work that way, but I guess it's more common than we might think.

On the other hand, I have often read the opinion that much of the murder and mayhem in the world is rooted in the frustration of young, single men who have no hope of a normal family life or a fulfilling relationship with a woman.  I think that also played a significant role here.

By the way, I should mention the typo I made in my previous message.  I meant that he had something to live for, not something to "love" for -- though maybe that's not a bad wording either. Wink
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2015 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

By the way, I should mention the typo I made in my previous message.  I meant that he had something to live for, not something to "love" for -- though maybe that's not a bad wording either. Wink

hehehe - I caught that and wasn't quite sure which you meant, but yes, it works either way. Smile
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic