IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need answers from converts  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need answers from converts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Searching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need answers from converts
    Posted: 26 December 2005 at 10:10pm

As you can tell from my name I am searching for answers.  I was raised as a born again christian.  In the past few years I have begun to question why I believe what I believe.  I wonder at times if I was not raised this way if I would not believe it so easily.  I have been doing some "soul searching" and research to find out why I believe.  I have been reading a lot about Islam and my husband has shared a lot about it with me also.  He is a christian as well, but is fluent in Arabic, very knowledgeable of Middle Eastern culture/history/religion, etc...  We have both been considering converting to Islam.  I believe he is much closer to it than I am. 

I would like to get responses from people that were christians, esp. born again christians that converted to Islam.  What was it that caused you to convert?  Can you give me proof from the Bible that Jesus is not THE son of God and that Jesus is not the only way to heaven?

I am very sincere.  This is something I have thought about a lot lately I find it to be overwhelming to make a decision that is contrary to what has been drilled into me for 35 years.  The more I learn about Islam and Muslims the more I am leaning towards Islam, but I still have a long way to go.  I would appreciate all the support that anyone can offer. 

Thank you in advance,

Melody

KateRN1 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KateRN1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2005 at 10:26pm

Hello, Melody:

I was raised Catholic and recently converted to Islam.  There were always a lot of questions for me that catechism couldn't answer--and I wasn't allowed to ask questions.  Because of that, for a while I thought I was an atheist--I simply couldn't believe the view of God that was shoved down my throat as a child.  One day while browsing in Barnes and Noble, I came across "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Islam."  Since the man I was dating at the time was Muslim, I thought it would be a good idea to know more about it.  I devoured the book quickly, then went straight for "The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Koran."  After that, it was an English translation of the Koran.  Then it was an Islamic book store with a complete "beginner's set," including English translations of the Koran, Hadith, biography of the Prophet (pbuh), and a booklet of Biblical proof, in his own words, of why Jesus (pbuh) is not the son of God.  I was floored.  Everything I read made sense.  There was no question of "How could it be?"

"But be not ye called rabbi: for one is your master, even Jesus, and all ye are brethren.  And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father which is in heaven."  Matthew 23:8-9

"And this is life eternal, that they might know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou has sent."  John 17:3

"But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only."  Matthew 24:36

There are many, many more verses in which Jesus says that he is only a man and not God, that there is only one God and He alone knows all things.  Jesus (pbuh) refers to himself as "son of God," but only insofar as we are all children of God.

Good luck with your search for truth, may it lead you in the right path.

Kate

Shams Zaman View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shams Zaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2005 at 8:55am

Dear Melody!   May peace be on you!

To your disappointment I am not a Christian but a Muslim. I don�t know how much I can help you but I will try. I have read many accounts of one reverting to Islam and there are 2 very informative accounts given by Jeffery Lang in his book �STRUGGLING TO SURRENDER� and by Dr. Maurice Bucaille in his book �The Bible Quran and Science � The Holy scriptures examined in the light of science.� Dr. Bucaille is a surgeon by profession and resides in France. Jeffery Lang is the Professor of Mathematics in the Kansas University, USA.

According to Islam everyone is born as a Muslim. Because the word �Muslim� means to surrender in front of God, or to obey God. So once a child is born he obeys God by breathing, his heart beats according to the will of God and every action in his body obeys according to the instruction of God. So later one adopts the religion of his parents. Interestingly, most people born in the Muslim families also do the same, they in the real sense disobey God but label themselves to be as Muslims.

To answer you first query is easy that says, �that how Jesus is not the only way to heaven?�    My response to this will be that what about those people who were born and died before Jesus? They didn�t believe in Jesus at all. So if they can go to heaven without believing in Jesus to be the son of god why can�t the other people? And if the concept of Jesus was so central for achieving the salvation then surely the Jesus should have been the first man to come to earth.

The way to salvation in Bible is given in JOHN 14:6, Acts 16:31, Romans 10:9. Nowhere these verses say to believe him as son of God rather these say to believe in him. These verses were revealed for whom? For those Jews who were not believing him as the messenger of God. They were claiming Jesus to be born illegitimately.

I was watching Larry King Live on CNN in which Billy Graham was the host. On asking the question that what is the most important thing for salvation in your faith and Billy Graham said, �Belief in Lord Jesus as the only blessed son�. and God will forgive all his sins�..� Now I had a question but there were no means available to ask, that is if someone is a robber, he has killed tens of people, he violates most of the social laws, rapes women and he would achieve salvation just by believing in Jesus. What about his deeds? And if this is so why would I refrain myself from collecting all sorts of pleasures even at the cost of others?

If Jesus is the only way to heaven then only one Christian sect will be going to heaven. Because the orthodox view of Jesus is different from Protestants and Catholics and similarly vice versa. So who is going to heaven??

Jeffery Lang says if someone asks me as to what is more important for the salvation, the deeds or the belief, I would constitute it as a question asking which element is more important to make water, Hydrogen or Oxygen?

The same message was given by Jesus on SALVATION and the today�s claim of Christians was refuted by him, Mathew 19:16-20, which says, �And, behold one came and said unto him, Good Master what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, �Why callest thou me good? there is none good, but One, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.�   

Regarding your second question, �Can you give me proof from the Bible that Jesus is not THE son of God�. There word son of God is used in Bible at many places. Luke 3:38, ��.Adam, which was the SON OF GOD�, Genesis 6:2&8 �That the SONS OF GOD saw the saw the daughters of men, and they were fair�� & �And when the SONS OF GOD came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them�.�, Exodus 4:22 ��.thus saith the Lord, Israel is MY SON, even my firstborn.� Similar statements are repeated in Jeremiah 31:9, Psalms 2:7, Romans 8:14.

In the similar terms Jesus is mentioned as ��only ___ son, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish,�..�. (It is unfortunate that the word begotten is used which I have omitted being utterly blasphemous for Jesus). Because if this verse is to be taken in the meaning as �real son� then there are at least few hundred sons of god.

Regarding the verse of John 10:30, �I and my father are one� it is quoted out of context. Now please read from verse 1 of John 10,

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. (2) But that enterth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. (3) To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.  (4) And when he putteth forth his sheep, he goeth before him: for they know his voice��. (7) Then said Jesus unto them again Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep�..(18) �. This commandment I received of my father�.. (27) My sheep hear my voice and I know them, and they follow me�� (30) I and my father are one.� 

Here Jesus is speaking to the Jews who don�t believe in Jesus, and he is telling them that all those who follow me I guide them to the righteous way through what God has revealed onto me and I perform miracles through all the powers God has given me (verse 3 to 18). And whatever I say is not of my own it is from God, what I say is of God. At this moment he say, I and my father are one (Also see John 14:24 and Mathew 5:17-20). Not meaning that actually in one �form� are one. Because if this is to be taken in the literal sense then the sheep and door should also be taken in the literal sense that Jesus was actually speaking to sheep and he actually was a door.

If you go ahead in the Gospel of John 17:21, it says that, Jesus Christ (peace be upon him) said that� �Ye all of them are one - My father in me, and I in thee, we all are one�. �Does it mean that God Almighty, is in Jesus Christ� and Jesus Christ is in all his 12 disciples. So there will be 14 gods - Jesus Christ, God Almighty, and 12 disciples.           

Finally, The Bible in its present shape is not the word of God. The revelations which were revealed to Jesus have been corrupted to such an extent that it is not possible to correctly identify that what was said by God, what was said by Jesus and what has been added by the historians. So what all has been corrupted and what is safe can�t be pointed out accurately. This is evident from so many errors and contradictions in the Bible.    

(a) "No man hath seen God at any time John 1: 18 (b) " (God) whom no man hath seen, nor can see .,."I TIMOTHY 6:16 (c) "And he (God) said, Thou canst see my face: for there shall no man see me, and 1ive. EXODUS 33:20

Contradicted by: (a) "And the Lord spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend Exodus 33:11 (b) 'And they (Moses, Aaron and seventy others) saw the God of Israel . ." EXODUS 24:10 (c) "And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved GENESIS 32:30

And as a special favour God shows his back parts to Moses "And I (God) will take away my hand and thou shalt see my back parts . . . " EXODUS 33:23

Other contradictions: (a) The "Lord" tempted David . . . 2 SAMUEL 24:1 or "Satan provoked David . . . I CHRONICLES 21:1 (b) 700 or 7000? "Horsemen" or "Footmen" . . . ? 2 Samuel 10:18 vs 1 CHRONICLES 19: 18 (c) Solomon had 2000 baths or 3000 baths? 1 KINGS 7-26 vs 2 CHRONICLES 4:5 (d) Solomon had 4000 stalls of horses or 40000? 2 CHRONICLES 9:25 vs 1 KINGS 4:26 (e) Did Saul enquire of the Lord or didn't he? 1 SAMUELS 28:6 vs 1 CHRONICLES 10:13-14 (f) Heaven, no man hath ascended JOHN 3:13 Contradicted by. 2 KINGS 2:11 Elijah ascended, and GENESIS 5:24 Enoch ascended. (g) Jesus lost "None" of his disciples JOHN 18:9 Contradicted by. He lost only "One" JOHN 17:12 (h) ALL are sinners 2 CHRONICLES 6:36 Contradicted by: "Whosoever is born of God DOTH NOT commit sin.." 1 John 3:9.

Shams Zaman Pakistan

[email protected]

rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2005 at 9:38pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

I came across "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Islam" at my library and thought i would read it to see what inacuracy it had or what level of idiots it was aimed at, i was completely suprised by it, although it contians minor errors (which book doesnt) this book is hardely for idiots and does a better job than most books written by muslims for muslims.

very good book.
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Searching View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Searching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2005 at 10:55pm

Shams Zaman,

I am not disappointed that you are a Muslim.  I simply thought that a Muslim that had converted from christianity would be more knowledgeable of the Bible and have insights that others would not.  It appears that you, though, are very knowledgeable of the Bible and your post was quite helpful.  You gave me a lot to think about and pointed out some things that I had not seen or noticed in the Bible, especially the contradictions.  I will have to get my Bible out and read those passages for myself.

Thank you for recommending the books by Jeffrey Lang and Dr. Bucaille.  I will read them as soon as I can get out to buy them.

Thank you again for replying to my post.

Melody

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 12:34pm

Searching,

I'm Mormon, not Muslim, but I have been studying Islam for about 6 months now.  I would suggest also reading What Every Christian should Know about Islam...by Ruqaiyyah Waris Maqsood.  ISBN 0 86037 375 4 (PB) 

This was sent to me by a sister in the United Kingdom and answered many questions.  Also, talk to Sister Khadija, she is a recent convert and very, very dilligent in her studies.  If she doesn't know it, she can find it for you and get back. 

Also, I have a number of links on my website you're more than welcome to grab.

http://groups.msn.com/WomenoftheBook

There are some really great resources. 

Also, http://www.jesuswillreturn.com

This site will go further into depth over Jesus in the Quran.

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2006 at 11:02am

Bismillah,

[moderator edited] refers to deleeted post

Faith is an idea, a belief in something that cannot be proven no matter how much research is done.  Our ultimate proof will come when we die.  People can compare faiths to decide which one makes more sense to them.  Sensible people can ignore the most basic, non-sensical ideas that a faith proposes.

I like Islaam because I want to be a person of faith.  Prophet Muhammad's life story seems lovely to me.  I revere him and respect his words.

Christianity in the form of believing that Allah, SWT, had to kill a person in order to forgive our sins makes no sense to me.  Why?  It just doesn't seem merciful to me!

In Islaam, Allah, SWT, forgives us when we take specific steps of repentence which include things like intending not to do the bad thing again, and leaving the bad thing behind.

I love Islaam and being a Muslim woman.  Didn't you say previously that you and your husband had already become Muslims and you wanted to have a special marital ceremony to celebrate your newfound religion?  But here you say you are considering Islaam.  Pardon my confusion.

Edited by rami
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
DeExupery View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeExupery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2006 at 10:22pm

Dear Herjihad,

So you fall in love with Holy Prophet's story after reading hadiths? All of them? Sahih Bukhari too? I am really interested.

My posting is deleted. I just suggest people to read Quran and Al Hadiths, all of them, before converting. I don't see why it's very wrong that deserve deletion.

Searching, you can read and knows the context and such. And may you find THE TRUTH about Islam.

Fox

Io Sogno L'anime, Che Sono Sempre Libere (Il Divo)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic