IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is there a 'GOD'  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is there a 'GOD'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 15>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2015 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

We decide how long we are caught in the battle... that's our free will.

So you mean we choose interim actions, and god doesn't know what choices we are going to make?

In which case he is not omniscient.

Or do you mean we think we make choices but god knows what we are going to do, so the 'choice' is illusory?

In which case we don't have free will.

It would be nice to get a clear answer if that is possible.

Hi Matt,

Please see my reply to Airmano. Smile

The choice is not illusory.
We can choose how long we want to stay in our misery...
how long we want to stay in the battle...
or whether we want to rise above.
I imagine there are some that choose over and over to stay in their misery... I call this hell.
The choice is between heaven and hell, and we choose.

asalaam,
Caringheart
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2015 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by theanswer theanswer wrote:

Muslims and christians, why do you believe what you believe. You all claim God is love but clearly, 'He' does not really care.

Greetings theanswer,

God is Love.
Love is the embodiment of the Creator.
Clearly Love does care, for all the world is in chaos for the lacking of it.... for the lack of a reverence for what is known as God.
If all would love, all would come to harmony... God would reign.
We must strive as humans to bring about this harmony... to honor and obey the commands of God... to love the Creator above all else, and to love one another... so that all the commands of God(of Love) will be fulfilled.
For who would harm one whom he loves?
Who would lie to, steal from, cheat, or kill, one if he truly loves?
Only a force other than love can compel one to do harm.
Love seeks to win the day, but it does, and must, begin with us... with the creation.  We must begin by loving the Creator.

asalaam and blessings,
Caringheart

Edited by Caringheart - 24 August 2015 at 1:50pm
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Matt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2015 at 5:21am

It would be nice to get a clear answer if that is possible.

Hi Matt,Please see my reply to Airmano.

I believe that I have shown, with logic, how it is that we do have free will, and how your postulation to my mind, is incorrect... that there is no paradox present, as you say.

You haven't shown anything. You haven't even presented an argument, let alone a logical one.

There is a difference between 'determined' and 'known'.
Part of what has been pre-determined is the factor of free-will. This does not negate the Creator knowing how, in the end, we must, and will, choose.

"In the end". Does god know what we will do in the meantime? I assume your answer is 'yes'.

The choice is not illusory. We can choose how long we want to stay in our misery...how long we want to stay in the battle...or whether we want to rise above.I imagine there are some that choose over and over to stay in their misery... I call this hell.The choice is between heaven and hell, and we choose.asalaam,Caringheart

Is god omniscient? I assume your answer is 'yes'.

In which case your position is that we sometimes or always (you aren't clear on this) have free will to choose. But since god is omniscient he always knows what and when we will choose. Therefore, there is always only one option open to us and we never have the free will to choose.

This is a paradox demonstrating the falsehood of your position. Do you have a proper argument to counter this? All that babble about coming to god and staying away from god only serves to deliberately obscure the issue.

Come on! Surely after 2,000 years christianity has something better to offer in response to the compelling argument that it is impossible that both God is omniscient and that humans have free will.

Or perhaps our muslim friends have an answer? They've only had 1,400 years to think of one, but I suppose it is just possible they have something more persuasive to say on the issue than you have offered.

Edited by Matt - 27 August 2015 at 5:22am
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2015 at 3:56am
Herr Airmano,

Just to summarize the problem:
On one side you say everything is 100% determined by an almighty power and on the other side you say we can change the course of events (in an unpredictable way).

A Muslim shall try to solve the riddle for you.

No one said that the Almighty power determines everything. What is said is that He knows what is going to happen. He has given free will in the exercise of which an individual may either go left or right. He has that choice. God Almighty knows about the decision the individual will take. He permits the individual to do as he pleases.

Until now, I maintain my point that free will vs. "almightiness" ( + Omniscience) can't be reconciled.

Tell me, if you are still confused.
Invite [all] to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2015 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

No one said that the Almighty power determines everything. What is said is that He knows what is going to happen. He has given free will in the exercise of which an individual may either go left or right. He has that choice. God Almighty knows about the decision the individual will take. He permits the individual to do as he pleases.

Thumbs%20Up
Blessed be God forever
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2015 at 7:43am
@Monsieur le Saint:
Quote No one said that the Almighty power determines everything

Take the case of flipping a coin. The outcome is only unpredictable in the sense that it can only be either head or tail (but nothing else). So in this sense the outcome is (sort of) known but not deterministic.

Is it this what you try to say ?
If not could you try to illustrate your logic in an example ?

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 01 September 2015 at 8:54am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Matt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2015 at 2:49pm
27th August:
"Is god omniscient? I assume your answer is 'yes'.

"In which case your position is that we sometimes or always (you aren't clear on this) have free will to choose. But since god is omniscient he always knows what and when we will choose. Therefore, there is always only one option open to us and we never have the free will to choose."

Still waiting for a response Caringheart

But as this is an interesting philosophical question, I'll give you another chance by approaching the issue from another angle. Say I reach a decision point x where I can choose either option a or b. As your god is omniscient he knows what I will choose. In this case lets assume he knows I am going to choose a.

So... (drum roll) at x is it possible for me to choose b?

Go on Caringheart... have a go at answering a straight question with a straight answer.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2015 at 8:41pm

27th August:
"Is god omniscient? I assume your answer is 'yes'.

"In which case your position is that we sometimes or always (you aren't clear on this) have free will to choose. But since god is omniscient he always knows what and when we will choose. Therefore, there is always only one option open to us and we never have the free will to choose."

Still waiting for a response Caringheart

But as this is an interesting philosophical question, I'll give you another chance by approaching the issue from another angle. Say I reach a decision point x where I can choose either option a or b. As your god is omniscient he knows what I will choose. In this case lets assume he knows I am going to choose a.

So... (drum roll) at x is it possible for me to choose b?

Go on Caringheart... have a go at answering a straight question with a straight answer.

Greetings Matt,

Of course it's still, 'possible'.  Just because God knows which we will choose does not change the fact that we have to make the choice.
'We' don't necessarily know what choice we will make until faced with that choice.  We still have to do the choosing.
Blessed be God forever
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 15>
  Share Topic